Professional Web Applications Themes

Close parent window from a frame without Java - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I want to use a hyperlink to close the parent window (and all frames it contains) without using java. I don't want the pop-up window appearing that using "javascript :parent.close()" causes. Any ideas? Thanks Frank...

  1. #1

    Default Close parent window from a frame without Java

    frank griffin webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Close parent window from a frame without Java

    Yes, I meant Javascript not Java. :>)

    I have found that I can close the current frame without javascript but I can't seem to close the parent. I hate that little popup! Is there a way to "null" it?

  3. #3

    frank:

    It's a system message. You will not get it on windows that *you* open
    programatically, but without javascript, there is no way that I know of to
    eliminate it on pages that you have not opened.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "frank griffin" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I meant Javascript not Java. :>)
    >
    > I have found that I can close the current frame without javascript but I
    can't seem to close the parent. I hate that little popup! Is there a way to
    "null" it?

    > Thanks
    > Frank

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:14:01 +0000 (UTC), "frank griffin"
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >I have found that I can close the current frame without javascript
    >but I can't seem to close the parent. I hate that little popup! Is
    >there a way to "null" it?
    Not if you didn't open it and it would be extremely rude to do so.
    Think of the poor sap who finds your site via a search engine and,
    when he arrives, you open your custom window, close his original
    window and your site isn't what he was looking for. Now he's stuck in
    your popup. Extremely rude.

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  5. #5

    You can use JS and trick the window to avoid that alert box.
    Try this:
    opener.opener = top;
    opener.close();

    Won't work with all the browsers though...

    Check on [url]www.macromedia.com[/url] you'll find the original script.

    HTH,

    --
    Thierry
    [url]http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/quizz.htm[/url] | Frames Quiz

    --
    Thierry
    [url]http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/quizz.htm[/url] | Frames Quiz
    The link below is for IE5+/Win32/1024+ users *only*.
    [url]http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/?2[/url] | Frames Tutorial

    "frank griffin" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, I meant Javascript not Java. :>)
    >
    > I have found that I can close the current frame without javascript but I
    can't seem to close the parent. I hate that little popup! Is there a way to
    "null" it?

    > Thanks
    > Frank

    Thierry Koblentz Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:41:50 -0700, "Thierry Koblentz"
    <thierryremove.212Utah.com> wrote:
    >You can use JS and trick the window to avoid that alert box.
    >Try this:
    >opener.opener = top;
    >opener.close();
    And if someone did that to me, I'd wish I had the knowledge to hack
    into their site and deface it. or at least remove the obnoxious
    script. <sigh>

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  7. #7

    Of course, that's not the answer because the question was how to do it
    without 'Java'. I guess the answer is that there is no way to do so, no?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Thierry Koblentz" <thierryremove.212Utah.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Gary,
    > I totally agree with you but on the other hand I think it's good to give
    the
    > answer with the advice.
    > Going the other way, we'll soon stop posting scripts to open fullscreen,
    > resize windows, create frames, etc.
    > ;ç)
    >
    > --
    > Thierry
    > [url]http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/quizz.htm[/url] | Frames Quiz
    > The link below is for IE5+/Win32/1024+ users *only*.
    > [url]http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/?2[/url] | Frames Tutorial
    >

    > "Gary White" <replynewsgroup.please> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:41:50 -0700, "Thierry Koblentz"
    > > <thierryremove.212Utah.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >You can use JS and trick the window to avoid that alert box.
    > > >Try this:
    > > >opener.opener = top;
    > > >opener.close();
    > >
    > > And if someone did that to me, I'd wish I had the knowledge to hack
    > > into their site and deface it. or at least remove the obnoxious
    > > script. <sigh>
    > >

    > > Gary

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:46:16 -0700, "Thierry Koblentz"
    <thierryremove.212Utah.com> wrote:
    >I totally agree with you but on the other hand I think it's good to give the
    >answer with the advice.
    You're probably right. And with my limited skills, the worst I could
    do when encountering something like that would be to write a complaint
    to the site owner. <sigh>

    >Going the other way, we'll soon stop posting scripts to open fullscreen,
    >resize windows, create frames, etc.
    Hmmm... and the problem with that? <gg>

    Gary
    Gary White Guest

  9. #9

    > >Going the other way, we'll soon stop posting scripts to open fullscreen,
    >
    > Hmmm... and the problem with that? <gg>[/ref]

    Don't you hate when a window opens fullscreen, a doent resize your
    browser window, browsing frames-layout sites, flash intros, etc.?
    I do ;)

    --
    Thierry
    http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/quizz.htm | Frames Quiz

    "Gary White" <please> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    the

    > You're probably right. And with my limited skills, the worst I could
    > do when encountering something like that would be to write a complaint
    > to the site owner. <sigh>
    >

    > Hmmm... and the problem with that? <gg>
    >

    > Gary[/ref]

    Thierry Guest

  10. #10

    > Of course, that's not the answer because the question was how to do it

    I'm sorry Murray but I don't agree, read the original post, you'll see that
    the poster thought that the following was causing the alert box:
    "javascript:parent.close()"

    I also could say that if the question was "how to do it without 'Java'" my
    answer is perfectly correct because my solution uses JavaScript
    ;ç)

    --
    Thierry
    http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/quizz.htm | Frames Quiz
    The link below is for IE5+/Win32/1024+ users *only*.
    http://www.MadCoWWWebDesign.com/go/?2 | Frames Tutorial

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message

    Thierry Guest

  11. #11

    Thierry:

    I like your second response better than the first! 8)

    I just read the subject line - that's all....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Thierry Koblentz" <212Utah.com> wrote in message
    news:bg67de$6j3$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    no?
    that

    Murray Guest

  12. #12

    ;)

    Thierry

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message

    Thierry Guest

  13. #13

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:18:49 -0700, "Thierry Koblentz"
    <212Utah.com> wrote:

    Oh, of course I like those. I also like getting root cs. ;-)

    Gary
    Gary Guest