Professional Web Applications Themes

CMYK in Effects > Stylize > Drop Shadow, etc? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Is it possible to use CMYK values in this? I'm using Illustrator 11 in CMYK mode....

  1. #1

    Default CMYK in Effects > Stylize > Drop Shadow, etc?

    Is it possible to use CMYK values in this? I'm using Illustrator 11 in CMYK mode.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CMYK in Effects > Stylize > Drop Shadow, etc?

    Do you mean you wish to assign a cmyk value for the drop shadow instead of using black or the darkness tint? (cmyk value of the selected elements color + black % multiplied to it)

    Click on the black square (color radial button) in the drop shadow window to bring up the color picker and input the cmyk values you wish to use.

    If you were after something else, I am too dense to understand what you are after. :)
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Actually the Drop Shadow colour is OK. It's the colour for the other effects that's not working. If I enter a CMYK value, then go back to edit the colour. the CMYK value I entered has changed.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Scott, this may be a silly question, but are you sure those effects are not RGB only?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    They are avialable in CMYK or RGB doents. I can enter CMYK values. But they do seem to undergo a conversion, because if I use 0,0,0,100, then open the effect again the colour will be converted to something like 82,73,75,60.

    But the RGB vlaue for 0,0,0,100 is (according to the colour picker at the time) 0,0,0. Opening the effect again shows the colour has changed to 23,23,23. So it isn't even recording the RGB value. The Web Hex values will also change to correspond to this.

    If I enter an HSB setting of 0,0,0 that will change to 49,65,0.

    So there are four methods of entering a colour for the effects, but not one of them is the actual colour recorded in the file. This is Effed up.

    So what's the bloody point? Is this a bug, or is there some mysterious colour setting burried in a dialogue that will let me enter a value that will behave predictably? How can print professionals be expected to use these "features" to get predictable results?

    Please tell me this has been fixed in 12.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Scott, obviously you are working in RGB mode, all you need to do is to return to CMYK and clear up.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    No. I am working in CMYK mode. File > Doent Color Mode > CMYK.

    The effects I am referring to are Inner Glow and Outer Glow. Drop Shadow works as it should.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Scott,

    If you look at Print Setup>Acrobat Distiller Doent Proporties>Adobe PDF Settings, are they set to Screen?

    If so, try changing to one of the other options.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    There is no Print Setup menu item. There's a Setup in Print, but I'm not even as far as printing, nor am I making a PDF. How would changing that affect the colour of the effect?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Scott,

    There is no Print Setup menu item. There's a Setup in Print, but I'm not
    even as far as printing, nor am I making a PDF.

    Sorry for the lack of clarity.

    If you choose Acrobat Distiller under File>Print Setup and click Properties you should be able to choose Adobe PDF Settings and see what it is set to.

    How would changing that affect the colour of the effect?

    The setting Screen makes your CMYK Mode doent act uncanningly like an RGB Mode doent.

    I do not know why, just try.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Well I went to File > Print. I changed my printer to Adobe PDF. I clicked "Setup" and shose the Press Quality jobsettings file for Distiller. I clicked OK, then Done.

    No change.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Scott, have you tried the AIPrefs thing?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Jacob. That seems to have worked.

    Thatpreferences bug sure does generate some bizarre behaviour. Does anyone know if it's finally been corrected?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Does anyone know if it's finally been corrected?

    I suspect there's still some mileage left on the ol' shirt:

    <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.eed5198.2cd0b46e>
    Bert Guest

  15. #15

    Scott,

    Thatpreferences bug sure does generate some bizarre behaviour.

    Right you are. This a tough one was. Late I realized, sorry.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Right you are. This a tough one was. Late I realized, sorry.

    Saw a movie last night, did you?
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    No, somehow it just started with the first word, and then the others slipped into places of their own choice. Fight it I shall, if possible it is.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Becoming Yoda he is.
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest