Professional Web Applications Themes

Co-existence of CLI and ESQL in same application - IBM DB2

Hi, I work for a company this is in the process of migrating existing ESQL code to CLI and I ran across problems with one of the applications that I'm in the process of converting since certain library calls within the APP still refer to ESQL code while most of the application database code has been converted to CLI. Is there any way to have this CLI co-exist with ESQL code so that we will be able to do a phased migration to CLI instead of having to rewrite all ESQL APIs in CLI upfront. Any help in this regard ...

  1. #1

    Default Co-existence of CLI and ESQL in same application

    Hi,
    I work for a company this is in the process of migrating existing
    ESQL code to CLI and I ran across problems with one of the
    applications that I'm in the process of converting since certain
    library calls within the APP still refer to ESQL code while most of
    the application database code has been converted to CLI. Is there any
    way to have this CLI co-exist with ESQL code so that we will be able
    to do a phased migration to CLI instead of having to rewrite all ESQL
    APIs in CLI upfront. Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.

    -Gautam
    Diablo Guest

  2. #2

    Diablo wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I work for a company this is in the process of migrating existing
    > ESQL code to CLI and I ran across problems with one of the
    > applications that I'm in the process of converting since certain
    > library calls within the APP still refer to ESQL code while most of
    > the application database code has been converted to CLI. Is there any
    > way to have this CLI co-exist with ESQL code so that we will be able
    > to do a phased migration to CLI instead of having to rewrite all ESQL
    > APIs in CLI upfront. Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.
    >
    > -Gautam
    There's nothing preventing from you doing that. And I think DB2
    explicitly said you could do that. Say you a.sqc, just precompile it
    into a.c and then link it your cli application b.c and it will work
    fine. It's easier with embedded SQL code called by the cli code, since
    it can automatically inherit the connection. If you want to do it the
    other way around, I think you will have to do a null connection (it's
    doented somewhere).

    nobody Guest

  3. #3

    Review the chapter "Mixing Embedded SQL and DB2 CLI" in the CLI Guide and
    Reference (chapter on "Using Advanced Features"). It explains how to handle
    connections and lists the restrictions.

    "Diablo" <gsampathkumabloomberg.net> wrote in message
    news:80bb2c25.0309221352.323c74a3posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    > I work for a company this is in the process of migrating existing
    > ESQL code to CLI and I ran across problems with one of the
    > applications that I'm in the process of converting since certain
    > library calls within the APP still refer to ESQL code while most of
    > the application database code has been converted to CLI. Is there any
    > way to have this CLI co-exist with ESQL code so that we will be able
    > to do a phased migration to CLI instead of having to rewrite all ESQL
    > APIs in CLI upfront. Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.
    >
    > -Gautam

    Mark Yudkin Guest