Professional Web Applications Themes

Code to verify DSN - ASP Database

Does anyone have a simple code that will verify whether or not the DSN I had the ISP set up is working? I can't seem to get it right... Thanks, Jeremy...

  1. #1

    Default Code to verify DSN

    Does anyone have a simple code that will verify whether or not the DSN
    I had the ISP set up is working? I can't seem to get it right...
    Thanks,

    Jeremy
    Jeremy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Code to verify DSN

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Does anyone have a simple code that will verify whether or not the DSN
    > I had the ISP set up is working? I can't seem to get it right...
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeremy
    Don't bother. Use DSN-less connection strings, preferably with the native
    OLEDB provider for your database. MS has deprecated the OLEDB Provider for
    ODBC, so the use of DSN's is discouraged.

    See [url]www.connectionstrings.com[/url] or [url]www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm[/url] for
    details.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    Bob Wrote:
    > Don't bother. Use DSN-less connection strings, preferably > with the
    native OLEDB provider for your database. MS has > deprecated the OLEDB
    Provider for ODBC, so the use of > DSN's is discouraged.

    I'm having trouble with that because the ISP server has, from what they
    tell me, a UNIX file structure This is what I get when I do a
    server.mappath:

    \\H-FILER01\Webfolder\weburl\folder\..

    Since there isn't a clear windows path, I don't think I have a choice
    but to go via DSN, right??

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Zifchock Guest

  4. #4

    Jeremy Zifchock wrote:
    > Bob Wrote:
    >> Don't bother. Use DSN-less connection strings, preferably > with the
    > native OLEDB provider for your database. MS has > deprecated the OLEDB
    > Provider for ODBC, so the use of > DSN's is discouraged.
    >

    > I'm having trouble with that because the ISP server has, from what
    > they tell me, a UNIX file structure This is what I get when I do a
    > server.mappath:
    >
    > \\H-FILER01\Webfolder\weburl\folder\..
    >
    > Since there isn't a clear windows path, I don't think I have a choice
    > but to go via DSN, right??

    I've no experience with Unix boxes, but have you tried using the path you
    get from MapPath in a connection string?

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    That looks like a UNC path, not a "UNIX file structure"... ask the web host
    again. Are you sure you are running ASP pages on a Unix server (using
    ChiliSoft, ...?)? I think it is more likely that the file server is
    referenced differently, using a UNC share. See [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2168[/url]
    for some information about connecting to an Access database on a separate
    share. Or, just upload the MDB file to your web root somewhere, and refer
    to it relatively. This other nonsense sounds like a real hassle.

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <reb01501NOyahoo.SPAMcom> wrote in message
    > Jeremy Zifchock wrote:
    > > Bob Wrote:
    > >> Don't bother. Use DSN-less connection strings, preferably > with the
    > > native OLEDB provider for your database. MS has > deprecated the OLEDB
    > > Provider for ODBC, so the use of > DSN's is discouraged.
    > >

    > > I'm having trouble with that because the ISP server has, from what
    > > they tell me, a UNIX file structure This is what I get when I do a
    > > server.mappath:
    > >
    > > \\H-FILER01\Webfolder\weburl\folder\..
    > >
    > > Since there isn't a clear windows path, I don't think I have a choice
    > > but to go via DSN, right??
    > >

    > I've no experience with Unix boxes, but have you tried using the path you
    > get from MapPath in a connection string?
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry Bob, that reply was meant for Jeremy, not you.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP Guest

  7. #7

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP wrote:
    > Sorry Bob, that reply was meant for Jeremy, not you.
    NP - it made me take another look, which made me realize that you were
    right.
    Bob
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET