Professional Web Applications Themes

College education and Elements - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I received a catalogue from the local community college and in they offered 7 evening classes on Elements. If one were to take all of them the cost would be close to $1000, not counting material. It makes me smile as I suspect we can do no worse if we purchasing one or two of the better books on Elements, hang out in the forum, and take the Challenge. In any event it is just one man's thought. Of a side interest they have dropped all the evening classes for Photoshop. -- Grant...

  1. #1

    Default College education and Elements

    --
    Grant

    Grant Dixon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: College education and Elements

    wow, that's interesting. How can anyone justify paying that kind of money ? They haven't found us yet I guess ;) Hmmmm, Photoshop classes dropped...$ 5000 ??? lol
    JodiFrye Guest

  3. #3

    It doesn't surprise me that evening classes for Photoshop are dropped when Elements provides so much for the hobbyist (and persons who will be tempted to attend evening courses for fun). I think that comparing the cost of a course to a book is not quite accurate in that a book should be a different experience (and in my estimation one of your best values for learning). Courses provide (hopefully) feedback and attention to personal needs.

    What might be more comparable to course expense is seminar and conferences -- so long as the instructor teaching the class is value-added. I would obviously go for even an expensive course over a conference, as hands-on you will learn a lot more than by listening to even a guru on stage, and changes are you can get the one-on-one help you might need.

    If you consider the dedicated attention of an expert in a classroom setting, a course may be very much worth the price. While I teach courses (I have not checked but believe they are inexpensive), and in that way may be slightly biased, I could see skipping Photoshop World ($500-600) to invest in a course that would cost as much or even more. My impression is that they will almost -- without fail -- cost less.
    Richard Lynch Guest

  4. #4

    I agree with you Richard, that a hands-on course would be a good way, actually the BEST way to learn...but $1000! I am taking the on-line course that Ray told us about and it is only $20 for 6 lessons...btw, I cannot get over how much knowledge they give you and the detail you get for only $20! Each lessson has 5-7 parts and are over 80 pages. I know the overhead is lower but even at a local, VERY expensive, college here they offer on-line courses for about $65-70. Maybe if Scott Kelby was teaching it himself, but still $1000. Oh well...just my humble opinion.

    Cory
    Cory McNutt Guest

  5. #5

    I believe the other message said 7 courses for $1000. That would be about $150/course. If they are 15 weeks 2 times a week, that is $5/session. $1000/course would, I think, be costly (depending on the size of the class...fewer students, greater cost). Even at $1000 for 30 sessions, that is $33 per session. Far less than you ever get at a conference.

    The only way I can see $20 6-session courses being good for the giver is if they are pre-fab. That is, planned in a course set. That is not to say it is bad, but it is not the same as a live teacher and interactive response. I know I do things in class spur of the moment based on interest. Wouldn't be possible in a rigid structure.

    Slightly insulted that you think Kelby knows more than I do...I'll get over it. I'd take him on in a correction duel. 1 image, two contestants. No tools barred. Steel cage. Identical systems, input of choice. Photoshop or Elements, he can choose. Guaranteed to make interesting TV.

    You see Scott, let him know.

    PS - I've nothing against him...we spoke briefly once, and exchanged email. Don't get me wrong, I'd take that challenge, but the mention is in good fun.

    Richard
    Richard Lynch Guest

  6. #6

    Richard,

    If that match between you and Scott ever happens there are a lot of us who
    would like to see it. Heck, I'd even consider pay-per-view. Of course, for
    that, I'd want more images -- at least 2 out of 3 with a tie-breaker or
    sudden death playoff. ;-)

    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  7. #7

    This jam session should be on CNN so we can watch it too!
    Discrimination of European citizens is a violence!

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  8. #8

    My local community college in Brunswick GA is offering an Elements class for $115.00 But it's only 8 hours."Photoshop for Dummies"
    Bob
    Bob Guest