Professional Web Applications Themes

Color cast change when clicking on thumbnails - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Sometimes when I click on a thumbnail in the browser window, the thumbnail acquires a yellow color cast, which then remains on the photo when I bring it up. How do I get rid of the cast and how do I prevent it from occuring? Any help greatly appreciated...

  1. #1

    Default Color cast change when clicking on thumbnails

    Sometimes when I click on a thumbnail in the browser window, the thumbnail acquires a yellow color cast, which then remains on the photo when I bring it up. How do I get rid of the cast and how do I prevent it from occuring?
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Chris Christy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color cast change when clicking on thumbnails

    I don't have an answer for you, Chris, but post some platform and system info. That might make it easier for someone else to come to your rescue! Troubleshooting can sometimes be different on Wins versus Macs.
    Beth Haney Guest

  3. #3

    Chis,

    Sounds like it could be a Video card issue. Try updating your driver.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Beth: I'm using Windows ME and photoshop elements. The thumbnails came from a CD which I got with the processing of the prints.
    Thanks also Rich: Wouldn't a video card issue affect other photos as well?
    Chris Christy Guest

  5. #5

    It is just the sticky cast that you are getting that makes me think video card. Worth a shot. Not certain that I'm right.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  6. #6

    However, Chris, when Rich speaks, we listen. Since he's with Adobe, we figure if anybody has the solution to a problem, it'll be him!
    Beth Haney Guest

  7. #7

    I have been reluctant to follow Rich's advice cause the idea of fooling around with drivers and video cards gives me the shivers. But in view of the authority I will "take a stab at it".

    Thanks

    Chris
    Chris Christy Guest

  8. #8

    Yes, Chris! Be daring! Drivers aren't very scary, but my computer keeps asking for a new card. Now that generates a lot of shivering on my part. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  9. #9

    But what if the drivers driving an SUV. BTW, how does one find a driver and a video card?
    Chris Christy Guest

  10. #10

    Oh, let's start with the video card, because it's much easier! Somewhere with the doentation for your computer, you got something that tells which video card is installed. I happen to know I've got an ATI Rage 128. I did a Google search for "drivers ATI Rage 128" and got a number of different sites where I could download the most current driver. (Which wouldn't be a bad idea for me to do, either, now that I think about it. Maybe I could avoid replacing the card.)

    Now the bad news is that I was poking around in folders on this Mac and had trouble finding where it was identified by name. So, I hope you either have better luck than I did finding it identified within the computer itself or that you've got it written down someplace! Once you get the name/model, doing the Google thing is simple.

    I'd make a comment about SUVs, but I don't want to start a range war!
    Beth Haney Guest

  11. #11

    Beth and Rich: I have discovered the source of the difficulty (I think). All of the photos that have acquired the yellow cast where taken from floppy discs by "Photonet". Fortunately I have the negatives and a good scanner, so not all is lost. And also, forunately, there are only about 5 or 6 of the photonet disks. All the rest are on Kodak CDs, and I have now shifted entirely to scanning my negs myself. Many many thanks for your generous and gracious help to an old neophyte.
    Chris
    Chris Christy Guest

  12. #12

    Beth: Yep. But I did find the video card. It's an Intel one which Intel says is now history, no service, no upgrades avaiable. That's when I turned elsewhere. Thanks again. Chris
    Chris Christy Guest

  13. #13

    I do profusely apologize about the state of the horse. It's an ancient saying which I shudna said. BTAIM, the images actually do maintain the yellow cast when I bring them up in PSE. And, something I just discovered, if i go to enhance and color and click remove the color, the color cast is still there although all the other colors have gone. When I bring them up from the Photonet floppy into PSE, the cast is on them. Minor editing and saving to the hard disc doesn't get rid of the cast.
    Chris Christy Guest

  14. #14

    I was really only joshing a little! I've used that expression a lot in my time, too, but it just struck me as a strange coincidence to see it on the screen right after I finished reading about the dead horse! :)

    I always forget about that EXIF issue; let's hope Byron is on to something with his suggestion.
    Beth Haney Guest