Professional Web Applications Themes

Color differences in FH10 with imported Photoshop image - Macromedia Freehand

Spec: Windows 2000, Freehand 10, Photoshop 7, Epson & HP printers I imported a CMYK Tiff file (made from an original PS file) into FH. I used the eyedropper tool to sample a couple colors, and they register as the same CMYK numbers, but they print out as different colors (both reds, for example, but different reds). These colors are right next to each other (I wanted the imported image blend in with the FH background design), so the difference is jarring to the eye. I know color management is a huge subject, and I'm just starting to get into ...

  1. #1

    Default Color differences in FH10 with imported Photoshop image

    Spec: Windows 2000, Freehand 10, Photoshop 7, Epson & HP printers

    I imported a CMYK Tiff file (made from an original PS file) into FH. I
    used the eyedropper tool to sample a couple colors, and they register as
    the same CMYK numbers, but they print out as different colors (both
    reds, for example, but different reds). These colors are right next to
    each other (I wanted the imported image blend in with the FH background
    design), so the difference is jarring to the eye.

    I know color management is a huge subject, and I'm just starting to get
    into it, but I need to fix this problem right away. Does anyone know
    where I start? I feel like it must be something about how PS and FH are
    each reading colors, but I'm not sure how to get them in sync.

    Thanks.

    Diana

    Diana Hobstetter Guest

  2. #2

    Thanks to David & Ian, who emailed me personally, both saying to turn off the FH
    color management. It worked. It's nice when it turns out to be so simple.

    Diana

    David Soltess wrote:
    > Diana:
    >
    > My experience with this (albeit on Mac, not PC) is that FH seems to colour
    > manage the FH elements, but not the imported TIFF. Some things you might
    > try: turn off FH's colour management & see if your output improves on the
    > Epson (although it will look like Hell on-screen), or save a copy of, or
    > export the FH file as an eps, then use a page layout program to create an
    > output file, relying on the layout program's colour management & not FH's;
    > or, if the FH elements just sit on a solid background colour, use PShop to
    > make a tiff of the background colour only, & place that into your FH file so
    > that the original tiff you sampled from & the background match.
    >
    > DS
    >
    > > From: Diana Hobstetter <dhobstetterearthlink.net>
    > > Newsgroups: macromedia.freehand
    > > Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:24:06 -0700
    > > Subject: Color differences in FH10 with imported Photoshop image
    > >
    > > Spec: Windows 2000, Freehand 10, Photoshop 7, Epson & HP printers
    > >
    > > I imported a CMYK Tiff file (made from an original PS file) into FH. I
    > > used the eyedropper tool to sample a couple colors, and they register as
    > > the same CMYK numbers, but they print out as different colors (both
    > > reds, for example, but different reds). These colors are right next to
    > > each other (I wanted the imported image blend in with the FH background
    > > design), so the difference is jarring to the eye.
    > >
    > > I know color management is a huge subject, and I'm just starting to get
    > > into it, but I need to fix this problem right away. Does anyone know
    > > where I start? I feel like it must be something about how PS and FH are
    > > each reading colors, but I'm not sure how to get them in sync.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Diana

    Diana Hobstetter Guest