Professional Web Applications Themes

Color Fill Problem (Newbie Question) - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I drew a very simple shape (a house) with the pencil tool in Illustrator CS (Windows XP). First I drew the roof of a house (with an orange fill)and then I drew the bottom part of the house (3 straight sides with a yellow fill) but now I am having trouble figuring out how to fill in the triangular white space between the two (I want it to be yellow). Help please....

  1. #1

    Default Color Fill Problem (Newbie Question)

    Carmen_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color Fill Problem (Newbie Question)

    You will need to draw another shaper and fill that. Reading the manual probably wouldn't hurt. :)
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    No one reads the manual.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you.
    Carmen_L@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jacob,

    No one reads the manual.

    I do--for all the good it does me half the time. Anyway, I'm not sure that the manual would have been much help with Carmen's question.

    BTW, Carmen, you've probably already figured this out, but remember to assign None to the stroke color of the filler object and stack the object behind the main house and roof objects. Now there's a good one for the manual or Online Help. Search Move to Back and/or stacking objects in the Layers palette.

    Cheers, T
    Toni Toomey Guest

  6. #6

    My manuals only go back as far as Illy 7 (I also have 9 and 10), but I'm pretty sure you always had to create a shape to fill.

    A very quick flick through and I just founds pages and pages of information on coloring.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Timothy, it was stronger than I.

    I read it too, of course. But I have noticed, as I remember myself, that manuals are very hard to understand for a newbie: it gets better the more you know. So I believe the RTFM you sometimes see from seasoned users are normally unfair.

    And Illy has even done better than most; I use to say that she is good to us. I had a much harder time trying to understand the GL manual. By the way, do you know you are being cited in the GL forum (post #7)?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Maybe you're right. End the post with a smilie though and no innocent bystanders get hurt.

    I don't use GoLive, so I never look into that forum, but thanks.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Jacob,

    So I believe the RTFM you sometimes see from seasoned users are normally
    unfair.

    Yes and no. Even if the manual is aggravating (though I don't couch it quite so politely when I'm trying to find something), I think it's still important to make the effort. Eventually the information begins to sink in. I also usually trip over some valuable tidbit that I wasn't looking for.

    I've noticed that Mr. Foolery(r) provides answers the the newbie questions, then delivers the RTFM message as a gentle reminder rather than as a slap. The sum effect is helpful.

    Cheers, T
    Toni Toomey Guest

  10. #10

    Toni,

    Timothy is really helpful, and you are right. All of this arose from the growth of a certain joke.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Jacob,

    I've enjoyed the discourse, especially since I always like picking up new acroyms. RTFM, for example. It suits :-) T
    Toni Toomey Guest