Professional Web Applications Themes

Color gradients in Indesign - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am trying to make a gradient in Indesign. I can quite easily make a gradient in black and white and I have also been using color swatches for solid color in the same doent. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the way to change the gradient from black and white to color. Can anyone help me.....I am sure I have missed something very obvious, however it is driving me nuts. Thanks Bryonie...

  1. #1

    Default Color gradients in Indesign

    Bryonie_Hopper@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color gradients in Indesign

    Bryonie,

    The Gradient Palette causes problems for a lot of people, myself included. Try this instead...

    Choose New Gradient Swatch on the Swatches Palette menu. In the Gradient Swatch dialog, click on one of the color stops below the gradient ramp to select it, (or click where there is no color stop to add one). This enables the color selection fields above. From the Color Stop: menu, choose a color model, or the doent's color swatches.
    John Mensinger Guest

  3. #3

    I agree with John, the New Gradient Swatch approach is easier.

    But in case you're curious, here's how to do it w/the Gradient palette:

    1. Fill something in your doc with the default gradient fill ... the middle icon of the 3 below the Fill/Stroke icons in the Tools palette. Keep it selected.

    2. Open the Gradient palette. It shows the default gradient swatch and its two color stops. (tip: choose Add to Swatches from the Gradient palette menu so the black/white gradient is a swatch, if it isn't already).

    3. Select a color stop beneath the black/white gradient ramp in the Gradient palette.

    4. To mix and apply your own CMYK or RGB color to that color stop, use the Color palette. You can just click on a color in that palette's Color ramp and the selected color stop will pick it up. The filled and selected object will update to match. (If you don't see a CMYK or RGB color bar in the Color palette, use its pallete menu to turn it on, or Shift-click on the color bar itself.)

    5. To apply a swatch color to a selected stop color in the gradient palette, Option/Alt-click on a swatch.

    Save yourself some grief and add your final gradient to the Swatches palette when you're done. They're easier to edit from there.

    AM
    Anne-Marie_Concepcion@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Yeah I missed that too at first. Simply drag a color swatch over to the
    gradient bar. Then you can move it as you wish...

    <Bryonie_Hopperadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to make a gradient in Indesign. I can quite easily make a
    gradient in black and white and I have also been using color swatches for
    solid color in the same doent. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the way
    to change the gradient from black and white to color.
    > Can anyone help me.....I am sure I have missed something very obvious,
    however it is driving me nuts.
    > Thanks
    > Bryonie

    Dennis Gordon Guest

  5. #5

    Gradients are approached in three steps:

    1. Make Gradient Swatch in Swatches palette
    2. Apply to (usually) the fill of object
    3. Click to pick up the Gradient tool to alter the angle and rate of change

    Mike Witherell
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest