Professional Web Applications Themes

Color is off on prints - Photography

Hi all: I'm a newbie to the digital photography world but want to know how to adjust my printer so that I can get good color for prints. Specifically, when I print a picture (in Highest resolution 2048x1536) from my Canon Powershot Elph S230 to my Canon i850 photoprinter, the image tends to be bluish. Is there anyway I can adjust this?...

  1. #1

    Default Color is off on prints

    Hi all:

    I'm a newbie to the digital photography world but want to know how to adjust my
    printer so that I can get good color for prints. Specifically, when I print a
    picture (in Highest resolution 2048x1536) from my Canon Powershot Elph S230 to
    my Canon i850 photoprinter, the image tends to be bluish. Is there anyway I can
    adjust this?
    Newdiver2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color is off on prints

    In article <20030715202244.02979.00000281mb-m29.aol.com>, newdiver2
    aol.com says...
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I'm a newbie to the digital photography world but want to know how to adjust my
    > printer so that I can get good color for prints. Specifically, when I print a
    > picture (in Highest resolution 2048x1536) from my Canon Powershot Elph S230 to
    > my Canon i850 photoprinter, the image tends to be bluish. Is there anyway I can
    > adjust this?

    In the printer driver, you can adjust the color balance. It will take
    some experimentation but once you get it just like you want it, save the
    settings as a profile and use the profile when you print on that paper
    in the future. Understand that different papers will likely require
    different profiles as well.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

  3. #3

    In article <bf3cq3$9s5$1hercules.btinternet.com>, [email]luke_a_photmail.com[/email]
    says...
    > My father uses a cannon S-series printer, he has found from experimentation
    > that he has to adjust the magenta level to about -40 to get neutral colour
    > balance. He also found a review stating the same problem with that model.
    >
    > Seems to me like cannon made a bit of a balls -up of their printer drivers.
    >
    > Luke

    Actually my experience has been quite the opposite. I previously had an
    Epson 780 which I had to do a lot of work on to make the colors turn out
    correctly. When I bought my Canon S820, the color was dead on right out
    of the box. Quite surprising actually...

    --
    ________________________________

  4. #4

    If you print a standard test patern rather than a photo then you can judge
    the colour performance of your printer/driver without calibrating your
    monitor.

    When your reds come out pinkish and your blues go purple you know there is
    too much magenta.

    Luke

    Luke Guest

  5. #5

    com (Newdiver2) wrote in message news:<aol.com>...

    Try to adjust the color management of the printer (on the "Color
    Management" tab in the "Properties") to the output format of the
    camera (most probably sRGB) if you print directly from the camera.
    This will ensure that you will print what you have shot, but please
    note that if you have not calibrated your monitor then it would
    display wrong colors.
    If you use Photoshop or other picture processor program, then you
    should adjust the working space of the software as well.

    Hope this helps.

    Happy shooting.

    Gyula
    Gyula Guest

  6. #6

    That is a little strange to me. I have a Canon powershop A70
    and I850 printer. If the picture is taken outdoors with correct
    exposure (I normally just use "auto" setting on the camera),
    it can be printed with I850 with pretty good color accuracy
    without any post processing. I do print from my laptop though.

    In your case, you can try to download some testing picture from
    web and print that off to you I850 to test if the printer (or the
    printer setting) is good. If it is, then your S230 may take bluish
    pictures with its current setting. You can adjust the white balance
    on the camera to solve it.

    -SZ

    SZ Guest

  7. #7

    In article <com>,
    Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*net> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Of course, unless you're comparing prints from greyscale images, since you
    can be *sure* that a grey pixel is a grey pixel regardless on how it appears
    on any given monitor. And if a print from a greyscale image shows colour
    casts, then logically a print of a colour image should exhibit the same
    colour cast (though whether it is the same perceptually is of course a
    different matter once again).

    FWIW, my S800 produces prints with a green cast on Canon Photo Paper Plus
    when no adjustments are used.

    --
    Ryan Li - replace no.spam with vzero.com to email

    Weird Things In Video Games [ http://weird.vzero.com/ ]
    Visual Experience: Digital Photography [ http://ve.vzero.com/ ]
    Ryan Guest

  8. #8

    "W6DKN" <net> wrote in message

    > Likewise, after trying to get 2 different model Epson photo printers to
    > match my calibrated NEC P750 screen without much success, I bought a Canon
    > S820. Damned if the colors weren't spot on with my screen - right from[/ref]
    the

    This is indeed strange. My i950 has pretty accurate colors, too, but there
    are some colors that it just can't seem to duplicate. Take a violet colored
    flower or dress or something, and see if it doesn't turn out more pink than
    violet. I haven't tried many solutions for this yet, but it agrees with my
    previous experience with my HP Photosmart.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Guest

  9. #9

    Some shades of purple are impossible to produce on an inkjet printer. They are
    called "Out of Gamut Colors"
    No combination of CMY and K can produce those luscious deep purples that you see
    on your monitor.
    Monitors and inkjets use totally different color gamuts to produce images.
    Monitors use the additive colors, Red, Green, and Blue (RGB) to produce images.
    Inkjets use the subtractive colors Cyan, Magenta, and Yellow (CMY+ Black) to
    produce images.
    Actually, it's nothing short of amazing that we can come as close as we do to
    with this arrangement.
    Bob Williams

    Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > > Likewise, after trying to get 2 different model Epson photo printers to
    > > match my calibrated NEC P750 screen without much success, I bought a Canon
    > > S820. Damned if the colors weren't spot on with my screen - right from[/ref]
    > the
    >
    > This is indeed strange. My i950 has pretty accurate colors, too, but there
    > are some colors that it just can't seem to duplicate. Take a violet colored
    > flower or dress or something, and see if it doesn't turn out more pink than
    > violet. I haven't tried many solutions for this yet, but it agrees with my
    > previous experience with my HP Photosmart.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier[/ref]

    Robert Guest

  10. #10

    images.

    The gamut usualy refers to the entire range of colours available in output.
    So every image output device (even a black and white monitor) has its own
    colour gamut.

    RGB and CMY are different colour spaces as are HSB and HLS. These colour
    spaces are simply different ways of representing the same three dimentional
    range of colours which correspont to differing intensities of Red Green and
    Blue photons.

    So RGB can be considered as the base colour space. However any colour that
    exists in one of these colour spaces also exists in all the others. So we
    shouldn't be surprised that a CMY printer can cover just about the same
    range as an RGB monitor. Infact the only reason they are different is that
    neither of them is perfect, the monitor cannot cover the full scale on each
    of its three channels, nor can the printer. Also the colours produced for
    RGB in the case of the monitor and CMY for the printer don't correspond
    precisely to the theoretical pure red, green and blue and cyan, magenta and
    yellow required by the colour models.

    With both the printer and the monitor the available colour gamut actually
    changes with spatial resolution. The monitor uses seperate dots for R, G and
    B and the printer uses a dither pattern to vary the intensity of C, M and Y
    so when considering a small area of the image detail the available colour
    gamut becomes much worse.

    There is yet a futher problem because the RGB model is only an approximation
    of how the human eye sees light. Even a device that could cover the entire
    RGB range would not be able to produce the full range of colours visable to
    all humans.

    It is well known that some people, have a fourth colour receptor in the eye
    corresponding to a different wavelength of light, not equal to R, G or B.
    Only some people have this ability, and they are all female! (not all
    females can see it though).

    Us males can only try to imagine what this extra colour looks like to those
    who can seen it. It is probably down to the historical male domination in
    science that this extra colour channel has always been ignored in the field
    of colour reproduction, but perhaps this is something that will change in
    the future.

    The whole science of colour reproduction has a long way to come before it
    could be considered anything near perfect.

    Luke

    Luke Guest