Professional Web Applications Themes

Color Management again and again - Macromedia Freehand

Hello everybody, I've searched the forum looking for solutions regarding Kodak Color Management problems in Freehand MX. Here's what's happening on 2 different Win XP computers: - I installed Freehand MX on a clean XP system. Kodak Color Management Module seems to be working fine, I am able to choose various profiles and settings from the drop downs in the Preferences panel. - after a while (and several installations of Adobe products) the KCMM became corrupted. Cannot choose any profiles, in the drop downs there are strange characters and words which seem to appear randomly. Once in a while when ...

  1. #1

    Default Color Management again and again

    Hello everybody,

    I've searched the forum looking for solutions regarding Kodak Color
    Management problems in Freehand MX. Here's what's happening on 2
    different Win XP computers:

    - I installed Freehand MX on a clean XP system. Kodak Color Management
    Module seems to be working fine, I am able to choose various profiles
    and settings from the drop downs in the Preferences panel.
    - after a while (and several installations of Adobe products) the KCMM
    became corrupted. Cannot choose any profiles, in the drop downs there
    are strange characters and words which seem to appear randomly. Once in
    a while when I try to modify the settings Freehand quits in a
    milisecond. After restarting Freehand the dropdowns are blank, no color
    profiles, no random words, nothing.
    - I remember a few weeks ago I found the solution proposed by Jukka (if
    I remember well) - downloading the files from Kodak website and copying
    the DLLs in Freehand folder. At that time it worked!!!
    - Yesterday I discovered that the KCMM is broken again. I suspect this
    has something to do with Adobe Pagemaker 7 I installed recently. This
    time I wasn't able to repair KCMS by updating the DLLs. I also tried
    uninstalling and installing FHMX and PM7. Nothing. Dead and gone forever.
    - In the meantime, on another WinXP system with Photoshop and Freehand
    only, the KCMS is working perfectly.

    Apparently I made the mistake to allow PageMaker to install it's own
    version of Kodak Color Management Module.

    Does anyone know where the KCMM is located on a WinXP computer? Can it
    be uninstalled? Can it be configured? Freehand, CorelDraw, PageMaker are
    using it, but where is it? Is it just those DLL files in the Windows folder?

    Thanks,
    Tudor

    Tudor M. Vedeanu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color Management again and again

    Your problem my be with an aberrant ICM or ICC profile instead of with the
    DLLs. Try searching to two HD's for all files with the .icm and .icc
    extension. Compare the list from the machine where FHMX's CM is working with
    the one that fails. Now rename, simply altering the extension is adequate,
    all of the profiles present on the "broken" machine that are not present on
    the "good" machine.

    If this "fixes" the "broken" FH installation it proves to problem to be a
    profile that FH isn't happy with; likely one that one of your recent
    installations added. We have seen a few oddly coded profiles give FH's Kodak
    CMS grief. If you can narrow it down to a single specific profile we'd love
    to get a copy of it for dissection.

    There is one that we recently found on a couple of Mac OSX machines named
    "BlackWhite.icc". Under OSX, the presence of this little creature in one of
    the system Profiles folders will cause FHMX's CMS fail. There have been some
    profiles on Win that FH's CM has found equally distasteful.

    David W Gangwisch
    Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    Macromedia, Inc.

    "Tudor M. Vedeanu" <tmvedeanuspams.netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I've searched the forum looking for solutions regarding Kodak Color
    > Management problems in Freehand MX. Here's what's happening on 2
    > different Win XP computers:
    >
    > - I installed Freehand MX on a clean XP system. Kodak Color Management
    > Module seems to be working fine, I am able to choose various profiles
    > and settings from the drop downs in the Preferences panel.
    > - after a while (and several installations of Adobe products) the KCMM
    > became corrupted. Cannot choose any profiles, in the drop downs there
    > are strange characters and words which seem to appear randomly. Once in
    > a while when I try to modify the settings Freehand quits in a
    > milisecond. After restarting Freehand the dropdowns are blank, no color
    > profiles, no random words, nothing.
    > - I remember a few weeks ago I found the solution proposed by Jukka (if
    > I remember well) - downloading the files from Kodak website and copying
    > the DLLs in Freehand folder. At that time it worked!!!
    > - Yesterday I discovered that the KCMM is broken again. I suspect this
    > has something to do with Adobe Pagemaker 7 I installed recently. This
    > time I wasn't able to repair KCMS by updating the DLLs. I also tried
    > uninstalling and installing FHMX and PM7. Nothing. Dead and gone forever.
    > - In the meantime, on another WinXP system with Photoshop and Freehand
    > only, the KCMS is working perfectly.
    >
    > Apparently I made the mistake to allow PageMaker to install it's own
    > version of Kodak Color Management Module.
    >
    > Does anyone know where the KCMM is located on a WinXP computer? Can it
    > be uninstalled? Can it be configured? Freehand, CorelDraw, PageMaker are
    > using it, but where is it? Is it just those DLL files in the Windows
    folder?

    > Thanks,
    > Tudor

    david gangwisch Guest

  3. #3

    > Apparently I made the mistake to allow PageMaker to install it's own
    > version of Kodak Color Management Module.
    The problem may have nothing to do with Adobe or any other software. A
    friend of mine just installed WinXP and FreeHand Studio to a new computer.
    Before she made any work or even set up Internet connection I checked Kodak
    Color Management in FHMX and it was already broken.

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  4. #4

    > David W Gangwisch
    > Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    > Macromedia, Inc.
    I respect your courage to post here with that title since you and your
    colleagues are in the top five of my "I want to kick his butt list".

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  5. #5

    Great! Thank you David! After cleaning up the ICM and ICC profiles and
    another Freehand reinstall all went back to normal! :-)

    Tudor

    david gangwisch wrote:
    > Your problem my be with an aberrant ICM or ICC profile instead of with the
    > DLLs. Try searching to two HD's for all files with the .icm and .icc
    > extension. Compare the list from the machine where FHMX's CM is working with
    > the one that fails. Now rename, simply altering the extension is adequate,
    > all of the profiles present on the "broken" machine that are not present on
    > the "good" machine.
    >
    > If this "fixes" the "broken" FH installation it proves to problem to be a
    > profile that FH isn't happy with; likely one that one of your recent
    > installations added. We have seen a few oddly coded profiles give FH's Kodak
    > CMS grief. If you can narrow it down to a single specific profile we'd love
    > to get a copy of it for dissection.
    >
    > There is one that we recently found on a couple of Mac OSX machines named
    > "BlackWhite.icc". Under OSX, the presence of this little creature in one of
    > the system Profiles folders will cause FHMX's CMS fail. There have been some
    > profiles on Win that FH's CM has found equally distasteful.
    >
    > David W Gangwisch
    > Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    > Macromedia, Inc.
    Tudor M. Vedeanu Guest

  6. #6

    > Your problem my be with an aberrant ICM or ICC profile instead of with the
    > DLLs. Try searching to two HD's for all files with the .icm and .icc
    This actually fixes the Kodak Color Management problem in WinXp. Thanks.

    However, it shouldn't take half a year to figure that out and you are still
    on my "I want to kick his butt list" Now maybe dropped from top five to top
    ten.

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest