Professional Web Applications Themes

Color Management Broken??? - Macromedia Freehand

With all due respect to QA folks I dont muck around with any of the things listed below, I know how to install software, I dont delete system files for no reason yet my color management has f$%#ed itself up way too many times and has required a complete re-install everytime to fix the problem. That dreaded magenta/white/cyan color scheme has taken over my files too many times! Color management on PC FH9 and MX is archaic and does not work well with industry standards such as photoshop for working with Tiffs and Distiller for press output. Un-installing and Re-installing ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Color Management Broken???

    With all due respect to QA folks I dont muck around with any of the things
    listed below, I know how to install software, I dont delete system files for
    no reason yet my color management has f$%#ed itself up way too many times
    and has required a complete re-install everytime to fix the problem. That
    dreaded magenta/white/cyan color scheme has taken over my files too many
    times!

    Color management on PC FH9 and MX is archaic and does not work well with
    industry standards such as photoshop for working with Tiffs and Distiller
    for press output.

    Un-installing and Re-installing should not be a regular work around for
    serious software flaw, but it is the only thing that has worked for me..

    mg

    "John J Nosal" <supportinfomacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > One of the QA folks had this to offer, which is pretty comprehensive:
    >
    > Somehow the user has either deleted the files needed for color management
    or improperly installed the application.

    > This does not happen when FreeHand is properly installed and the folders
    used by Kodak's DLLs haven't been deleted or renamed.

    > The standard fix is to uninstall and reinstall.
    >
    > The most common reasons for this occurring in FHMX are:
    >
    > 1. The FH installation was copied from some other machine and not
    installed directly. This can also happen when a user "restores" a FH
    installation from a backup after a harddrive failure and these special
    folders are restored also.

    > 2. A user has installed another version of FH (v7 or newer) and then
    uninstalled that second installation. The remaining installation's CMS is
    now crippled.

    > 3. The user has deleted files and/or folders in the various Application
    Data folders and thereby crippled the Kodak DLLs that FH's CMS system relies
    on.

    > 4. The FH installation is done to a shared network folder from one machine
    and then run from another. If such a shared installation is needed, the
    installation MUST be repeated, to the same target location as desired, from
    each and every workstation that will use FH.

    > It can also fail when the system is networked and the user "profile"
    folders are served from the network and there are either permissions
    problems or the servers don't support the "All Users" folders correctly.

    > Again, the standard fix is a complete uninstall and reinstall. With FHMX,
    you can also safely re-install without the uninstall and doing so should fix
    the problem. A savvy Windows user can also recreate the folder needed by
    FHMX, but not earlier versions, manually; the Kodak CMS engine will
    regenerate the necessary file. The user needs to find the system's "blessed"
    All Users profile folder; this is normally "All Users" and is normally
    located directly in the Windows Directory on Win98. In that "All Users"
    folder they need to create or navigate to the "Application Data" folder.
    There they need to create a Macromedia\FreeHand MX\11\CMSCP folder. The
    normal complete path would be:

    > C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Macromedia\FreeHand MX\11\CMSCP
    >
    > Additional Information can be found at:

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fh7_cms_troubleshooting.htm[/url]

    Martin Gamache Guest

  2. #2

    Bill wrote:
    > Hi John,
    > None the the conditions you mention apply to my installation of FHMX, and
    > yet color management is indeed broken.
    Just reminiscing here. Back in the day ... around FreeHand 7 ... if Mac
    users had one particular file, Kodak Precison CP, (Version: KPCP v2.4.1) it
    would break color management in FreeHand ... without fail. I don't know if
    anyone ever figured out where the file came from, but deleting it would
    always restore color management.

    I wonder if there's similar rogue file being installed on the systems of
    those having problems. When you think of all the applications that tinker
    with color management -- scanners, printers, all image editors, monitor
    calibration software, digital camera software, image cataloging
    applications, some utilities, Photoshop plugins, then maybe, just maybe,
    there's one nasty file being thrown into your system that is bringing color
    management to it's knees.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    John,

    Bull!, this just do not work in WinXP. Find the f***ing bug already.

    Are you suggesting that I (we) do not know how to install software?

    Jukka

    > One of the QA folks had this to offer, which is pretty comprehensive:
    >
    > Somehow the user has either deleted the files needed for color management
    or improperly installed the application.

    > This does not happen when FreeHand is properly installed and the folders
    used by Kodak's DLLs haven't been deleted or renamed.

    > The standard fix is to uninstall and reinstall.
    >
    > The most common reasons for this occurring in FHMX are:
    >
    > 1. The FH installation was copied from some other machine and not
    installed directly. This can also happen when a user "restores" a FH
    installation from a backup after a harddrive failure and these special
    folders are restored also.

    > 2. A user has installed another version of FH (v7 or newer) and then
    uninstalled that second installation. The remaining installation's CMS is
    now crippled.

    > 3. The user has deleted files and/or folders in the various Application
    Data folders and thereby crippled the Kodak DLLs that FH's CMS system relies
    on.

    > 4. The FH installation is done to a shared network folder from one machine
    and then run from another. If such a shared installation is needed, the
    installation MUST be repeated, to the same target location as desired, from
    each and every workstation that will use FH.

    > It can also fail when the system is networked and the user "profile"
    folders are served from the network and there are either permissions
    problems or the servers don't support the "All Users" folders correctly.

    > Again, the standard fix is a complete uninstall and reinstall. With FHMX,
    you can also safely re-install without the uninstall and doing so should fix
    the problem. A savvy Windows user can also recreate the folder needed by
    FHMX, but not earlier versions, manually; the Kodak CMS engine will
    regenerate the necessary file. The user needs to find the system's "blessed"
    All Users profile folder; this is normally "All Users" and is normally
    located directly in the Windows Directory on Win98. In that "All Users"
    folder they need to create or navigate to the "Application Data" folder.
    There they need to create a Macromedia\FreeHand MX\11\CMSCP folder. The
    normal complete path would be:

    > C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Macromedia\FreeHand MX\11\CMSCP
    >
    > Additional Information can be found at:

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fh7_cms_troubleshooting.htm[/url]

    Armadillo Guest

  4. #4

    Bill,

    Give this a try...

    Remove the CP19 file from your CMSCP folder. My folder doesn't have that file and it and is working for me in Win XP Pro.

    Regards,
    John J Nosal
    Product Team Liaison - FreeHand
    Macromedia Tech Support
    John J Nosal Guest

  5. #5

    Why the color mangement works for me in office but not at home?

    reinstalled ans uninstalled for many times

    is it because i had 2 users account for home computer and only 1 account in office?

    is this what causes FH confusion?

    laihuattan webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sorry but I seem to have lost a line-break in that last reply. The URL
    quoted was supposed to be ( [url]http://tinyurl.com/i2p3[/url] )
    The following sentence was to begin "SCap1 is a file with no KDS..."

    --
    Bill
    FHMX/Win98/Athlon2100+/512M

  7. #7

    Bill,
    Thanks for the screen shots and the additional details.

    In the following TechNote there is information about the issue with White printing as Magenta.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fh7_cms_troubleshooting.htm[/url]

    I would confirm that you have the needed write privileges to the path of the CMSCP directory.

  8. #8

    > uploaded some screenshots of the problem here: [url]http://tinyurl.com/i2p3[/url]

    FreeHandMX seems to seriously mess up the Windows Theme too. ;-)

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  9. #9

    > What, you don't like like my earthtones? I thinks it's a great improvement
    > over the institutional grey and hospital green that Windows defaults to.
    Even Windows default is too extreme for me. I prefer 'invisible' operating
    system. :-)

    WinXP default style is absolutely the worst design I've seen in a long time.

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest