Professional Web Applications Themes

color management for Canon d10 - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm new to the digital world. I have a Canon 10D and am using Elements 2. I've elected the AdobeRGB as my color space within the camera parameters and am shoting jpegs. I do not understand how to control the color space within elements 2. As I understand it, my image files are untagged since I elected AdobeRGB as opposed to sRGB and I do not know how to convert my image files within elements 2 to adobe RGB. Is this happening without my direction?...

  1. #1

    Default color management for Canon d10

    I'm new to the digital world. I have a Canon 10D and am using Elements 2.
    I've elected the AdobeRGB as my color space within the camera parameters and am shoting jpegs. I do not understand how to control the color space within elements 2. As I understand it, my image files are untagged since I elected AdobeRGB as opposed to sRGB and I do not know how to convert my image files within elements 2 to adobe RGB. Is this happening without my direction?
    nardy terry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: color management for Canon d10

    Nardy,
    If you select "full color management" under Edit > Color Settings, you will be working in the AdobeRGB colorspace, and when you save your file, you will have the opportunity to save it tagged with the AdobeRGB colorspace . I'd recommend saving your image immediately as a TIF file ( master image ), to prevent potential degradation by editting and saving as a JPG .

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  3. #3

    Brent
    Thanks for the info. You mentioned that I would have the opportunity to save my file withe AdobeRGB colorspace. Is that automatic once I elect full color management? Also, do I save as a TIF file before I do any editing?
    Nardy
    nardy terry Guest

  4. #4

    I would save as a TIF file before any editting. That way you have your original image safe. The choice of saving with the AdobeRGB colorspace is automatic once you select full color management. Make sure you check the box ! <G>

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest

  5. #5

    Nardy,

    As Brent says, the choice to save tagged as Adobe RBG is automatically presented, but you must take the action of checking the box before you save (shows on the save screen)
    Nancy S Guest

  6. #6

    Brent
    Thanks again for your help. I realize that I am just scratching the surface of color management. One step at a time. Any thoughts on the need to buy calibration soft ware for my monitor?
    Nardy
    nardy terry Guest

  7. #7

    What kind of monitor are you using Nardy? If CRT, calibration software will be different than if you're using LCD.
    Beth Haney Guest

  8. #8

    Nardy,
    There's pretty decent calibration software available, but I'd start with using the Adobe Gamma Utility , if you have a CRT . It does a decent enough job to get started with, and perhaps , depending on your eye for color, to continue with. Some good links discussing the issue ( and the larger issue of media profiles ) follow:
    <http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_3.html>
    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/optix/optix_1.htm>
    <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7_print/ps7_print_mac_2.htm>

    If you follow the general guidance on Ian Lyons' site, you can do very nicely without spending any more money than you need to.

    :-)

    Brent
    brent bertram Guest