Professional Web Applications Themes

Color Percentage - Macromedia Fireworks

Hello, In Fireworks MX, can you create a color that is a percentage of another color? If you have "dark green" and you want 60% of "dark green," can you do it? Please see link for an example. Thanks. Referring URLs http://www.maneycommunications.com/colorpercent.htm...

  1. #1

    Default Color Percentage

    Hello,

    In Fireworks MX, can you create a color that is a percentage of another color? If you have "dark green" and you want 60% of "dark green," can you do it? Please see link for an example.

    Thanks.

    Referring URLs
    http://www.maneycommunications.com/colorpercent.htm

    smaney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color Percentage

    "smaney" com wrote:

    Try working in HSB mode. Open the Color Mixer panel menu and choose the
    HSB option.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your help. I'm still not able to get it to appear as a percentage of the color. I'm trying to get a look like the orange--dark and then lighter--on the link below. Any other ideas?

    Thanks.

    Referring URLs
    http://www.cambriaconsulting.com/about.htm

    smaney Guest

  4. #4

    "smaney" com wrote:

    I'm not sure what you mean by percentage of color. That means different
    things to different people. Someone coming from a print background might
    thing you mean saturation amount or the percent of black in the color.
    If one of those is what you mean, then just eyeball it. There is no way
    to present exact colors on the Web. If you mean the a small rectangle of
    orange at the top of the yellow column, just add a small rectangle of
    orange to it.

  5. #5

    Yes, I'm coming from a print background. I was thinking that the yellow column is a percentage of the orange. Is the HSB mode the best for mixing colors?

    Thanks.

    smaney Guest

  6. #6

    Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    > I'm not sure what you mean by percentage of color. That means
    > different things to different people. Someone coming from a print
    > background might thing you mean saturation amount or the percent of
    > black in the color.[/ref]

    Yeah, that's pretty much the former. We get that all the time at work.
    Clients request a percentage of a Pantone color and we cannot work with
    that in screen printing. We need either a physical sample or a true
    Pantone color number to mix inks and match it, not a percentage of a color.

    With other types of printing processes you can indeed specify
    percentages of any given color. For example, if I apply a swatch of a
    certain Pantone color to an object's fill in Illustrator, I can use a
    slider in the color palette to lower the percentage amount of that color
    (or make it "whiter" if you will). At 0% the color is white for all
    intents and purposes.

    I guess it would be hard to achieve the same thing with HSB because
    there's not only one but two variables that control the "whiteness" of
    the color (saturation and brightness). I agree that the best is to
    eyeball it in Fireworks or to use an app that supports color percentages
    to get the color then use it in FW.

    Cheers!

    Stéphane
    Stéphane Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bui01o$g1v$macromedia.com>,
    Stéphane Bergeron <com> wrote:

    One of the Pantone books is just that: samples of PMS percentages, in
    10% steps. Get the book, save yourself some grief, become a hero at work.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  8. #8

    Thanks for your help!

    smaney Guest

  9. #9

    Yes, I have the tints book. It's just converting it to the web.

    Thanks.

    smaney Guest

  10. #10

    In article <bukec1$rm7$macromedia.com>,
    "smaney" com wrote:

    Use your calibrated eyeballs. There's no mystery about it--if it looks
    right, it IS right.

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/