Professional Web Applications Themes

color Picker - Macromedia Freehand

I remember using a color picker tool a while back that allowed you to select any color on the desktop (or in windows etc). I have a feeling it was a KDE application. Does anyone know what it might have been off hand? I tried doing apt-cache search color picker, but didn't see anything obvious. thanks! emma -- Emma Jane Hogbin [[ 416 417 2868 ][ [url]www.xtrinsic.com[/url] ]] -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default color picker

    --
    Emma Jane Hogbin
    [[ 416 417 2868 ][ [url]www.xtrinsic.com[/url] ]]

    Emma Jane Hogbin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: color picker

    Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:
    > Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
    >
    >> I remember using a color picker tool a while back that allowed you to
    >> select any color on the desktop (or in windows etc). I have a feeling it
    >> was a KDE application. Does anyone know what it might have been off hand?
    >> I tried doing apt-cache search color picker, but didn't see anything
    >> obvious.
    >>
    >> thanks!
    >> emma
    >>

    > WOOPS! Spoke too soon... the application that you are looking for is
    > "KColorChooser". It has a little eye-dropper too and it directly picks
    > up colours from your desktop.
    >
    > HTH,
    sorry, once again, didn't click reply-all. There's gotta be a better way
    to reply to the list instead of to the poster. (?)
    --
    Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
    Electrical Engineering Sysop

    Harshwardhan Nagaonkar Guest

  3. #3

    On 10 Jul 2003, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
    > I remember using a color picker tool a while back that allowed you to
    > select any color on the desktop (or in windows etc). I have a feeling it
    > was a KDE application. Does anyone know what it might have been off hand?
    > I tried doing apt-cache search color picker, but didn't see anything
    > obvious.
    >
    > thanks!
    > emma

    If you don't want to go to the lengths of installing KDE you can use
    xcolors.

    AC

    --
    [email]acacampbell.org.uk[/email] || [url]http://www.acampbell.org.uk[/url]
    using Linux GNU/Debian || for book reviews, electronic

    Anthony Campbell Guest

  4. #4

    > > WOOPS! Spoke too soon... the application that you are looking for
    > > is "KColorChooser". It has a little eye-dropper too and it
    > > directly picks up colours from your desktop.
    If you don't want to use KDE, there's also grabc.1.1. It is a bit more
    awkward to use, having to be run from an xterm, where the result of
    the click is displayed.
    > sorry, once again, didn't click reply-all. There's gotta be a better
    > way to reply to the list instead of to the poster. (?)
    I assume this "click" to reply refers to your gui MUA, and so your
    frustration might be resolved by either by changing to a different MUA
    or by reconfiguring it. In my situation, for example, typing "r" sends
    a return to what's in the To: and CC: fields. However, in my news
    reader, typing "r" replies only to the individual, not the group, so I
    have to type "f" (follow-up) instead or change the keybinding to swap
    the functions of the r and f keys.

    --
    Haines Brown
    [email]brownhhartford-hwp.com[/email]

    Haines Brown Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 05:26:14PM -0600, Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:
    > >WOOPS! Spoke too soon... the application that you are looking for is
    > >"KColorChooser". It has a little eye-dropper too and it directly picks
    > >up colours from your desktop.
    This is the one I was looking for, thanks!!
    > sorry, once again, didn't click reply-all. There's gotta be a better way
    > to reply to the list instead of to the poster. (?)
    I set up "lists" in .muttrc and then use "L" to reply to the list address.

    # lists <list-name> [ <list-name> ... ]
    subscribe debian-user

    Just use the bit before the and mutt will figure out the rest.

    emma

  6. #6

    Yes, there is a "swatches" palette that you can use. You have to load it,
    first, though, either by manually creating colors in the mixer and dragging
    them to this palette, or by using the palette menu to load predefined
    libraries like Crayon, PANTONE(R), Websafe, etc.

    "maka_tea" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > total freehand newbie with a question. Is there a way to get a color
    picker similar to what illustrator has instead of the swatches that pop up
    when choosing stroke and fill colors? I'm just used to being able to pick
    from a wide variety of colors and adjust them hues on the fly as I go and I
    don't like the way freehand presents you with a limited (IMO) number of
    colors that you them have to play with before using them. Anyway, thanks
    for any help!

    > --Mike T. :)

    Joel Guest

  7. #7

    I need color help! I used to love this program, got my new company to get it and now I am $#ed! What happened to the color friggin separations? And no manual and no real help on the line.

    I just need to print seps and there is no Seps button in the window and no help anywhere.

    Li

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks Judi Sorry to be cryptic! I am using freehand MX on a Sys X 10.2.6 (mac). I need to print spot color through a colorGATE system to a CTS that will finally create screens for printing large (very large) format papers to be subliminated on to fabric for the cycling apparel.

    The people before me were using illustrator and exporting each color to a seperate eps file before sending it to the rip. I think we can use Freehand export right to the rip but need to get it set up so we can export and print the seps both as individual files (one .eps for Pms 185 another doent for pms 300 etc.) and arrange it so we can just send the prepared freehand file to the rip.

    Can we export from a single doent the color seps as different doents?

    Thank you, LI

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    I print spot separations to a Postscript printer all the time directly from
    FHMX on Mac OS 10.2.6. It works fine.

    Is there any reason for the elaborate workaround of making EPS files? You
    could Print to Postscript file separately for each spot color, I suppose,
    but it seem unnecessarily difficult. Why not print directly from FreeHand?

    You could also make duplicate copies of the file and use 'Find & Replace
    Graphics / color' to make one color black and others white, but I'd only use
    this as a last resort with a non-Postscript printer.

    In OS X you need to set up the printer in Print Center before you can print
    from any application. You'll need to have the PPD for the printer installed
    under OSX. Printer manufacturers normally have an installer specifically for
    OS X.

    Printing to Postscript file would be under 'Output Options' in the Print
    dialog. To print spot separations directly, chose the 'FreeHand MX' options.

    Judy Arndt

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand wrote:
    > Thanks Judi Sorry to be cryptic! I am using freehand MX on a Sys X 10.2.6
    > (mac). I need to print spot color through a colorGATE system to a CTS that
    > will finally create screens for printing large (very large) format papers to
    > be subliminated on to fabric for the cycling apparel.
    >
    > The people before me were using illustrator and exporting each color to a
    > seperate eps file before sending it to the rip. I think we can use Freehand
    > export right to the rip but need to get it set up so we can export and print
    > the seps both as individual files (one .eps for Pms 185 another doent for
    > pms 300 etc.) and arrange it so we can just send the prepared freehand file to
    > the rip.
    >
    > Can we export from a single doent the color seps as different doents?
    >
    > Thank you, LI

    Judy Arndt Guest

  10. #10

    Hey Judi

    "Is there any reason for the elaborate workaround of making EPS files? You
    could Print to Postscript file separately for each spot color, I suppose,
    but it seem unnecessarily difficult. Why not print directly from FreeHand?"

    So HOW do I print to Postcript? We have to have an eps for the rip... Is there a way to print to postscript, get a new single color doc, AND keep the integrity of the original file?

    Thanks Li

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  11. #11

    Easy! Nothing beats Freehand when you need spot colors for screen printing.
    Create a color, any color. (I use the CMYK mixer to create something that
    looks like my spot color.) Drag it to the swatchlist - change it to 'spot
    color' - and rename it whatever you want to appear on the film label. Do
    this for ALL your spot colors. When you print, send them as separations, and
    click only the spot colors you want to send - uncheck any process colors.
    Not how you handle overprinting and trapping. You'll get perfectly labeled
    and separated spot colors every time.

    David Maurand
    Freehand user since Aldus FreeHand 1.0

    in article bfouv5$pmv$1forums.macromedia.com, LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand at
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote on 7/24/03 11:45 AM:
    > Thanks Judi Sorry to be cryptic! I am using freehand MX on a Sys X 10.2.6
    > (mac). I need to print spot color through a colorGATE system to a CTS that
    > will finally create screens for printing large (very large) format papers to
    > be subliminated on to fabric for the cycling apparel.
    >
    > The people before me were using illustrator and exporting each color to a
    > seperate eps file before sending it to the rip. I think we can use Freehand
    > export right to the rip but need to get it set up so we can export and print
    > the seps both as individual files (one .eps for Pms 185 another doent for
    > pms 300 etc.) and arrange it so we can just send the prepared freehand file to
    > the rip.
    >
    > Can we export from a single doent the color seps as different doents?
    >
    > Thank you, LI

    David Maurand Guest

  12. #12

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand wrote:

    > So HOW do I print to Postcript? We have to have an eps for the rip... Is there
    > a way to print to postscript, get a new single color doc, AND keep the
    > integrity of the original file?
    These are instructions for Printing a single spot ink to Postscript File
    from FreeHand MX under Mac OS X.

    You must first make sure you have the OS X driver for your PostScript
    printer. If you're using a third-party RIP, then look and the company's web
    site for more info.

    Select the Postscript printer driver in Print Center. Reading this
    page should help.
    [url]http://www.asia.apple.com/macosx/whatyoucando/applications/printcenter.html[/url]

    If the driver is not already installed, go to the web site of the printer
    manufacturer, look in Support or Download areas and download the required
    file installer. Install the driver. If you still can't select the driver, it
    may be necessary to restart your computer.

    In Print > FreeHand MX > Advanced, check 'PPD' and select the correct PPD
    file (Postscript Page Description) for your printer. In the Separations tab,
    choose only the spot ink you want to print. Deselect the other inks. In the
    other tabs, set your line screens, paper size, etc.

    (Note: I'm seeing a bug in the print preview page -- no paper outlines. Just
    make very sure you have your paper size correctly selected.)

    Click 'OK'.

    Then from Print > Output Options > check 'Save as File', format 'Postscript'
    from the pop-up list. Click 'Save'.

    Hope this helps. Now ... do I get a commission? ;-)

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  13. #13

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > These are instructions for Printing a single spot ink to Postscript File
    > from FreeHand MX under Mac OS X.
    I may have misunderstood your questions and your workflow. The best way to
    work would be to print your separations directly from FreeHand. In that is
    possible there will be no need to make Postscript files for each spot color.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Arndt Guest

  14. #14

    Default Illustrator/freehand compatibility

    I got such wonderful advice from you guys that I am trying again!
    I work in the apparel industry and am using Freehand to design as well as do production for subliminated cycling wear. Unfortunately most of our clients use Illustrator so I need to be able to import illustrator files seamlessly and without loosing anything.

    Here is what I have tried.
    1. opening illus 10 in freehand = VERY fragmented and incomplete file.
    2. importing (comand r) = ncomplete file with no sign of the imported files in theoriginal doc
    3. Copy and pasting = works for everything except masks, gradiations and imported files.
    4. Save as Illus 8 from illus and opening in FH = closest but no cigar, still no grades or imported files.
    5. Called Tech Support and tho friendly, they did not know how to do this.

    I will have to bag FH if I cant get this to work BUMMER!

    Thanks for your help, Li

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  15. #15

    Default Re: Illustrator/freehand compatibility

    Did you try pdf from ill then open in fh?

    Tim Hines

    "LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I got such wonderful advice from you guys that I am trying again!
    > I work in the apparel industry and am using Freehand to design as well as do production for subliminated cycling wear. Unfortunately most of our clients use Illustrator so I need to be able to import illustrator files seamlessly and without loosing anything.
    >
    > Here is what I have tried.
    > 1. opening illus 10 in freehand = VERY fragmented and incomplete file.
    > 2. importing (comand r) = ncomplete file with no sign of the imported files in theoriginal doc
    > 3. Copy and pasting = works for everything except masks, gradiations and imported files.
    > 4. Save as Illus 8 from illus and opening in FH = closest but no cigar, still no grades or imported files.
    > 5. Called Tech Support and tho friendly, they did not know how to do this.
    >
    > I will have to bag FH if I cant get this to work BUMMER!
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Li

    Tim Hines Guest

  16. #16

    After FH7 / AI7, the programs begin to diverge. As of v10 for each, they are
    almost nothing alike underneath the superficially similar creation tools.
    The only reliable method is to make sure your clients send you AI files
    saved as 7.0 if you want them to open right up. As long as they aren't using
    transparency or photoshop-like layer effects, this should work fine.

    Second best bet is to have them save their AI10 files in pdf format - the
    major difficulty will be that masks will get separated from the related
    image/group and you'll have to manually do an FH 'paste inside.' Layer
    effects and transparencies will likely become flattened (they'll look OK,
    but they'll be uneditable).

    I own Illustrator 10 and though I work in it for some assignments, my
    preferred design tool is Freehand and I use Illustrator to convert to a
    format I can open in Freehand. You can get a serious discount on Illustrator
    through their competitive upgrade program - you'll get a new copy for the
    price of an upgrade.

    in article bge51t$auq$1forums.macromedia.com, LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand at
    [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote on 8/1/03 12:38 PM:
    > I got such wonderful advice from you guys that I am trying again!
    > I work in the apparel industry and am using Freehand to design as well as do
    > production for subliminated cycling wear. Unfortunately most of our clients
    > use Illustrator so I need to be able to import illustrator files seamlessly
    > and without loosing anything.
    >
    > Here is what I have tried.
    > 1. opening illus 10 in freehand = VERY fragmented and incomplete file.
    > 2. importing (comand r) = ncomplete file with no sign of the imported files in
    > theoriginal doc
    > 3. Copy and pasting = works for everything except masks, gradiations and
    > imported files.
    > 4. Save as Illus 8 from illus and opening in FH = closest but no cigar, still
    > no grades or imported files.
    > 5. Called Tech Support and tho friendly, they did not know how to do this.
    >
    > I will have to bag FH if I cant get this to work BUMMER!
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Li

    David Maurand Guest

  17. #17

    "LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand"
    > I got such wonderful advice from you guys that I am trying again!
    > I work in the apparel industry and am using Freehand to design as well as
    do production for subliminated cycling wear. Unfortunately most of our
    clients use Illustrator so I need to be able to import illustrator files
    seamlessly and without loosing anything.

    > Here is what I have tried.
    > 1. opening illus 10 in freehand = VERY fragmented and incomplete file.

    I have found that FireworksMX does a better job of opening Illustrator 10
    artwork. If you have FWMX, open the file there and export a AI7 file.

    Bobby Henderson

    Bobby Henderson Guest

  18. #18

    Thank you guys!
    It looks like I am going to have to work with illustrator for awhile here until I figure this out... what is Fireworks MX?

    Thanks, LI

    LiWhoUsedToLoveFreehand webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  19. #19

    wrote in message news:bglun5$gr4$1forums.macromedia.com...
    > Thank you guys!
    > It looks like I am going to have to work with illustrator for awhile
    > here until I figure this out... what is Fireworks MX?
    FireworksMX is best described as a web page graphics optimization tool. Its
    chief rival is the ImageReady component included with Adobe Photoshop.

    ImageReady can do a lot of complicated web graphics functions such as image
    mapping, complex image slicing and animated GIF creation. I mainly use it
    just to convert TIFF images over to JPEG since its compression engine is
    just a tad better than that of Photoshop/ImageReady.

    Fireworks also has a very rudimentary vector drawing toolset, mainly geared
    to copy some of the path functions of Adobe Photoshop. Regardless of what a
    few have posted in this forum from time to time, Fireworks is definitely no
    replacement for Freehand (or any other full-featured vector drawing program
    for that matter).

    Ultimately, I not really a fan at all of Fireworks. If it did not have good
    JPEG and GIF output functions I would probably never use it. Some of the
    image slicing stuff is convenient. But I think it also promotes bad/lazy
    web page design. If you generate a page with the slices and HTML, the HTML
    code is just a jumbled mess of many levels of nested tables. That kind of
    thing is just as bad as the HTML page code coming from ImageReady or "layout
    grid" code coming from Adobe GoLive. It may take longer, but I prefer
    nesting my own table and div structure from within DreamweaverMX. At least
    I can edit into it and change things around easily.

    Bobby Henderson

    Bobby Henderson Guest

  20. #20

    How can i make an object change it`s color gradually from one color to another.
    I want to make a 3d editor . How can i make a color picker to give the user
    the possibility to select the color of the object ?

    DANGH_b Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast