Professional Web Applications Themes

Color Range Too Dark on JPG Photos - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Photos loaded from camera to JPG files show up very dark and lightest color available is a dark yellow, not white. Same photos work fine in other programs....

  1. #1

    Default Color Range Too Dark on JPG Photos

    William_G_Hill@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color Range Too Dark on JPG Photos

    Are you noticing the color differential only in Elements? If so, you should calibrate your monitor. Elements is probably the only color-managed imaging application you have on your computer, so it will often display images differently than through the browsers of operating systems or other digital imaging programs.

    You don't say which playform you're using. Windows machines usually have Adobe Gamma in their control panels.

    Post back if you're have trouble locating it or using it and include both your computer platform and your operating system in order to get a response targeted to your needs.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    William,

    In addition to monitor calibration, many people find that they need to run
    the "IgnoreEXIF" utility, to cause Elements to ignore the camera's
    (inaccurate) sRGB color space.

    Follow the link for your platform from this page to download the appropriate
    version:

    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/main.html

    Speaking for myself, I got more "bang" from the IgnoreEXIF than from monitor
    calibration.

    YMMV...

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I am in Windows ME. The problem happens with most, but not all, of the photos from this camera. It does not happen with those same photos in JASC7 or other simpler programs. If I take a file that does experience this, open it in JASC, save it to a different name with no mods, the color range is fine in Photoshop Elements. All files are JPG.
    William_G_Hill@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    What do you have color management set on in Elements? To find
    out go to- Edit> Color Settings

    --
    Have A Nice Day,
    jwh :-)

    jhjl1@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    William,

    As Beth mentioned, PSE is "color-managed". This means that it will
    scrutinize information contained within the images to determine the
    characteristics it should use in displaying the image's colors.

    The symptoms you describe (looks funny in PSE, looks OK everywhere else) are
    exactly the kind of thing which is addressed by monitor-calibration and, if
    necessary, the IgnoreEXIF utility.

    Let us know if you see any change afterward.

  7. #7

    I am currently using No Management, but I have tried all three settings.

    Again, the same photo that has been and renamed in JASC works fine inPSE
    William_G_Hill@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I second the ignore Exif and recallibrate the monitor options. They are both free and easy and solve the majority of Elements colour problems very quickly My guess is that the ignore exif utility may be more useful int this case - if switching the colour management is having no impact on how the images are looking I can almost guarantee that it will help. (it's possible that resaving in Jasc is stripping off the EXIF info allowing Elements to show the colours properly )

    Susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest