Professional Web Applications Themes

Color separation in InDesign is a pain compared to Pagemaker. - Adobe Indesign Windows

InDesign does not seem to be making color separation easy. Apparently, I have to make my color graphics into Grayscale Tiffs in order to assign a color to them for separation. This is a pain, and also I need to post the file in full color on the Internet. So now it seems I need to save 2 files - one for 2-color spot separation, and one for the web. I do not want to have two of these files, it will be too confusing and time-consuming! Am I doing something wrong, or are there any tips or tricks I ...

  1. #1

    Default Color separation in InDesign is a pain compared to Pagemaker.

    InDesign does not seem to be making color separation easy. Apparently, I have to make my color graphics into Grayscale Tiffs in order to assign a color to them for separation. This is a pain, and also I need to post the file in full color on the Internet. So now it seems I need to save 2 files - one for 2-color spot separation, and one for the web. I do not want to have two of these files, it will be too confusing and time-consuming! Am I doing something wrong, or are there any tips or tricks I need to know? I am on Windows XP, InDesign CS 3.01. Please HELP!
    J_Boone@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Where did you get that idea? Why are you doing separations and not your printer? But if you do need to do them, just print separations to the Adobe PDF print driver.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    How would my Lexmark printer know what things I want to be Black and what things I want to be spot color unless I assign those colors to each item in InDesign? Text obviously is easy, but InDesign won't let me assign color like Pagemaker did to graphics; I have to convert my graphics to Grayscale Tiffs in order to assign color.
    Am I still missing the boat on how I go about color separating?
    I printed the separations to my Adobe PDF print driver. The problem is some things I want to be spot color aren't there or are printing on the Black separation, and some things I want to be Black aren't there or are on the wrong separation.
    J_Boone@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    What kind of graphics are you talking about?

    Are you trying to create duotones? You're expressing your frustration but you're not explaining adequately what you're trying to achieve. I've done countless two-color jobs with InDesign and I've often supplied sepaarations to a local printer.

  5. #5

    I place graphics in as Tiffs. But they are not Grayscale Tiffs, so I can't click on a color in the Swatches pallette to tell InDesign that that is the color I want the graphic to be (Like if I'm doing Black and Magenta, making a particular graphic Magenta). Unlike in Pagemaker, I have to change the graphic in Photoshop to Grayscale, and then use my white arrow to select the graphic in InDesign, and often have to give it a Clipping Path>Detect Edges in InDesign first in order to select it for color change.
    Pardon my green, but I don't even know what duotones are.
    How do you do your 2-color jobs?
    J_Boone@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I don't remember PM allowing you to assign colors to anything but
    grayscale graphics.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Bob,

    Then you either never used those features or your memory has failed.

    Mind you, it was one of the reasons that PageMaker was so unpopular in the printing industry. Adobe deliberately chose to not support this approach to applying color in InDesign.

    So, you're right, J Boone. PageMaker does make this easier at the expense of putting itself out of business (although this obviously was not the only reason).

  8. #8

    It has been a while. I remember it working with EPS files, though I was
    always advised against it, but I just never even tried it with anything
    but grayscale.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    I always had such an easy time with assigning colors in Pagemaker; everything would separate correctly when items were assigned correctly. Usually I would have to print hard copies of the separations for the print shop (I work for a school district) and they would make plates, but sometimes I would email a composite PDF to a news web printer (IMC) and they didn't have any problems, at least none that they told me about. Why do other printers have problems with it being done that way?

    OK, so what I'm getting is that DO I have to change all my graphics to grayscale ones, add a clipping path>detect edges, select with white arrow and select the Magenta (or whatever color) swatch.
    Please let me know if there is another process I am not considering, or maybe a tip for how to manage doing 2-color files that have to be on the Internet in full color.
    Thanks, J. Boone
    J_Boone@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Yes...you need to change them to grayscale.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  11. #11

    I am not understanding the clipping path part of your workflow. What is that for?

  12. #12

    In InDesign, you can select Clipping Path, and if the graphic doesn't already have a clipping path frpm Photoshop you can select Detect Edges and it gives it a clipping path. I usually use this function to get rid of white background of a graphic, but now I have to use it also in order to make a graphic selectable for color change. If I just click on the graphic with the white arrow to select it, the Swatches in my Swatches pallette are all grayed out (can't use). But if I have a clipping path applied to the graphic and I select the Clipping Path with the white arrow, then my Swatches pallette works.
    J_Boone@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I forgot to say that I don't always have to apply the Clipping Path in order to make a graphic selectable, only sometimes (most of the time)
    J_Boone@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    The only reason that the swatches would be grayed out would be if you
    have transparency in the graphics.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  15. #15

    J. Boone,

    Yes, PageMaker allowed tinting of certain types of colour graphics, but the manual always advised against it. Sometimes it passed muster at the service provider, sometimes it didn't. It's worth noting that PageMaker was created by Aldus, not Adobe, twenty years ago. Adobe, the company that created PostScript, always frowned on the practice of tinting, so it's not surprising that their own layout software omits this feature. It also omits the ability to apply a custom screen ruling and dot shape to objects, probably for much the same reason.

    Personally, I don't see the problem with having PrettyPic (grey).tif as well as PrettyPic.tif on your hard drive. I have over 13,000 graphics and layout files on my hard drive and I seldom have trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for. If managing your assets is becoming burdensome, pick up a copy of Extensis Portfolio. (It even sorts by colour mode.)
    Shane_Matthews@adobeforums.com Guest