Professional Web Applications Themes

Color Separations on FH 9 - Macromedia Freehand

I am running Freehand 9.0.1, on a MAC OS 9.2.2. Acrobat 4 Here are the problems I am having: 1- Color shifts from native Freehand 9 file when exported or print t file. Colors are no longer "perky" they are dull. I did export th color chips only as a .gif, exact pallette checked. That was fine bu I need the crisp detail of Freehands vector not chisled pixels for th rest of the file. 2-Exporting/Print to PDF format. The file: 12" x 12" Native Freehand 9 file created on my computer. The file contains tiled fills...I know it was ...

  1. #1

    Default Color Separations on FH 9

    I am running Freehand 9.0.1, on a MAC OS 9.2.2. Acrobat 4

    Here are the problems I am having:
    1- Color shifts from native Freehand 9 file when exported or print t
    file. Colors are no longer "perky" they are dull. I did export th
    color chips only as a .gif, exact pallette checked. That was fine bu
    I need the crisp detail of Freehands vector not chisled pixels for th
    rest of the file.

    2-Exporting/Print to PDF format.

    The file: 12" x 12" Native Freehand 9 file created on my computer.
    The file contains tiled fills...I know it was against my bette
    judgment.

    Exporting to PDF...I have gone two ways,
    1) File>Export>PDF>Options>tried all sorts of compression>checked th
    box for compress text & graphics and checked the box for embed al
    fonts. The file does not have the "tiled fills" AND the colors ar
    wrong, much duller and lifeless, my client hated it. Although I di
    check all combinations of the drop down window: RGB, CMYK, RGB & CMYK.
    2) Changed chooser to Distiller. File>Print>PD
    Options>PrintOptimized. Second drop down window dropped t
    Freehand.0.1>Print setting Normal>checked box USE PPD...Acroba
    Distiller 3010.10>Output Separations>Scale%: Fit to page (Uniform doe
    not work)>Color Management=None.
    Setup...
    Separations Tab=checked Separations>checked only the colors in my file
    Halftone screen 71 lpi/600 dpi, no override>Tranfer function:Normalize
    Spread size Default.

    Imaging tab = Labels & Marks all boxes checked. Imaging Optionschecke
    Emulsion up and Positive image. Output Options- checked Split comple
    pathe Include OPI comments, Convert RGB to process(I have trie
    unchecking also). Images Binary. 126 Max. color steps(and trie
    default). 80 Flatness (and tried default).

    Paper setup=Paper size: Custom- Orientation> checked automatic.

    I did get one of my files to separate using the the Second way (ar
    each of the separation plates(colors) supposed to be black or shoul
    each plate show with its desired color?

    File 2 was stubborn and I am changing the tiled fills (a whole bunch
    to try to eleminate the limitcheck issue that was reported on the PD
    log. I am STILL working on that file.

    Any thoughts regarding color separations, I have read the FH 9 Manua
    and the Visual Quick Start book.

    Thank you in advance for any assistance AND thank you for reading thi
    lengthy email if you have gotten this far
    -
    klar

    klark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Color Separations on FH 9

    I forgot that the colors are SPOT and have been Made Spot from the Colo

    klark wrote:
    > *I am running Freehand 9.0.1, on a MAC OS 9.2.2. Acrobat 4
    >
    > Here are the problems I am having:
    > 1- Color shifts from native Freehand 9 file when exported or print t
    > file. Colors are no longer "perky" they are dull. I did export th
    > color chips only as a .gif, exact pallette checked. That was fin
    > but I need the crisp detail of Freehands vector not chisled pixel
    > for the rest of the file.
    >
    > 2-Exporting/Print to PDF format.
    >
    > The file: 12" x 12" Native Freehand 9 file created on my computer.
    > The file contains tiled fills...I know it was against my bette
    > judgment.
    >
    > Exporting to PDF...I have gone two ways,
    > 1) File>Export>PDF>Options>tried all sorts of compression>checked th
    > box for compress text & graphics and checked the box for embed al
    > fonts. The file does not have the "tiled fills" AND the colors ar
    > wrong, much duller and lifeless, my client hated it. Although I di
    > check all combinations of the drop down window: RGB, CMYK, RGB
    > CMYK.
    > 2) Changed chooser to Distiller. File>Print>PD
    > Options>PrintOptimized. Second drop down window dropped t
    > Freehand.0.1>Print setting Normal>checked box USE PPD...Acroba
    > Distiller 3010.10>Output Separations>Scale%: Fit to page (Unifor
    > does not work)>Color Management=None.
    > Setup...
    > Separations Tab=checked Separations>checked only the colors in m
    > file> Halftone screen 71 lpi/600 dpi, no override>Tranfe
    > function:Normalize> Spread size Default.
    >
    > Imaging tab = Labels & Marks all boxes checked. Imagin
    > Optionschecked Emulsion up and Positive image. Output Options
    > checked Split complex pathe Include OPI comments, Convert RGB t
    > process(I have tried unchecking also). Images Binary. 126 Max. colo
    > steps(and tried default). 80 Flatness (and tried default).
    >
    > Paper setup=Paper size: Custom- Orientation> checked automatic.
    >
    > I did get one of my files to separate using the the Second way (ar
    > each of the separation plates(colors) supposed to be black or shoul
    > each plate show with its desired color?
    >
    > File 2 was stubborn and I am changing the tiled fills (a whole bunch
    > to try to eleminate the limitcheck issue that was reported on the PD
    > log. I am STILL working on that file.
    >
    > Any thoughts regarding color separations, I have read the FH 9 Manua
    > and the Visual Quick Start book.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any assistance AND thank you for readin
    > this lengthy email if you have gotten this far!
    -
    klar

    klark Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Klark:

    Are you planning to print the output to spot colors or to CMYK? If it is Spot
    color printing, say of Pantone
    colors, the monitor screens do not have to tell you the truth regarding the
    appearance. You and your
    client should guide yourselves by what the PMS color chips look like because
    that is what the printer
    will be putting on the paper.

    If you are in actuality planning to print a four color job, then make sure
    that your are getting the specified
    colors in Acrobat by using Acrobat>Advanced>Separation Preview. Pass the
    cursor over the colors and
    decide for yourself whether the numbers are what you expected when you set up
    the job in Freehand.
    Take charge of your color in Freehand by specifying the CMYK colors you want
    (if going to print).

    The screen image is only an attempt to show the printed results. A book of
    CMYK color samples on matching
    stock tells a lot more about the final results than a monitor which is not
    color managed. The truth is that
    monitor colors are capable of being much more vivid than the brightest 4 color
    printing. The duller
    Acrobat image may be Acrobat's way of suggesting the true printed apperance of
    the job.

    E Morris

    artserv Guest