Professional Web Applications Themes

Coloring a grayscale TIFF in ID... what's it called? - Adobe Indesign Windows

My brain doesn't work today. I used to have to do this in Quark all the time, and can visualise the menus with ease. However, this is the first time I've had to do it in ID. Unfortunately, I can't even remember what the process is called... can someone help me out? One word (preferably, the word it's called in ID's help files) and I should be able to do it without a problem....

  1. #1

    Default Coloring a grayscale TIFF in ID... what's it called?

    Joel_Cherney@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Coloring a grayscale TIFF in ID... what's it called?

    It's called coloring a grayscale TIFF. <g>

    Just select it with the direct select tool (the white arrow) and then
    pick the color you want.

    Note that this won't work on graphics containing transparency or EPS files.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Hm. I was sure that there was some word like "halftoning" that would lead me to the correct spot in the help files. Well, Bob, I'm taking a greyscale TIFF that has "yes" and "no," opening it up in Illustrator 10, replacing Y and N with Da (ДА) and Nyet (НЕТ), then exporting a new TIFF. The original English TIFF has a light Pantone tint, but when I replace it in ID with the Russian TIFF and select it with the direct select tool, everything in the Swatches menu is greyed out. I suppose that means that I have some unwanted transparency in my TIFF, right? Shall I take this over to the Illustrator forum?
    Joel_Cherney@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Are you sure it's grayscale? You just said it had a Pantone tint to it.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    The original TIFF is greyscale, when its image properties are examined, or when it's viewed in Illy. However, the tint has been added in InDesign.
    Joel_Cherney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Make sure you are selecting the direct select tool and the fill color, not the stoke color. If stroke color is selected all the swatches will be gray.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Now I'm really confused. Are we talking about InDesign or Illustrator?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks-in-advance for your soon-to-be-helpful-comments, gentlemen.

    To review:

    1) I have a greyscale TIFF placed in ID. The designer has given it a sickly greenish Pantone tint in ID, by selecting it with the direct selection tool and assigning a color from the Swatches panel.

    2) I open up that TIFF in Illustrator 10, draw white boxes over "YES" and "NO," then add ДА and НЕТ in their place.

    2a) Bob observed that you can't color TIFFs with transparency in ID. I open up Illustrator's Transparency menu, and note that there is no OFF setting. I become confused.

    3) I then export the TIFF, using greyscale color model and high resolution.

    4) I place the TIFF in InDesign. In the Swatches menu, I select fill. I select the image with the direct selection tool, and the swatches are still greyed out.

    SO:

    Is this a problem with my usage of ID, or an error in my TIFF generation? Should I take this question to the Illy forums?

    Thanks!
    Joel_Cherney@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    It sounds to me like the TIF is already colorized. Turn on the
    separations preview and check that out by turning off the black plate.
    If the TIFF is still visible then it's not grayscale.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  10. #10

    Why not Edit the tiff in Photoshop? I suspect your problem must be in Illy.

    Off for transparency is 100% opacity, but if you are really exporting a tiff I think that is a non-issue because you need an alpha channel, I believe, to get the tiff to have transparency at all. The comment about transparency was more toward the ability to colorize a PSD file the same way, but not if it contains transparent areas. But Bob could be right about the exported tiff not really being grayscale. What was the Illustrator doent color mode? you would need to be working in a cmyk colorspace with only k to get a grayscale.

  11. #11

    I managed to pull it off. However, I'm at a loss as to how. To summarize, in reverse order:

    a) I don't have Photoshop. My nonprofit bosses have not yet approved that purchase... or any other purchases since IDCS came out.

    b) That TIFF was grayscale, without a doubt, both in Illy and ID.

    Here's a depiction of the specific steps I followed.

    1) Grab the picture frame and delete its content. The frame's fill is a 5% tint of that sickly Pantone green. Seps preview reveals that it it disappears when I turn off the Pantone plate. However, if I change the color of the image with the direct selection tool to black, it disappears when I turn off the black plate.

    2) Place the edited Russian TIFF in that frame.

    3) It's gray! It's unchangeable! Grr.

    4) Well, can I place the original, unedited TIFF and give it a tint? Why, yes, I can!

    5) Hmm, I must be messing up the TIFF somehow. I sure wish I had Photoshop. I give up.

    6) I do five other jobs.

    7) Hours later, I place the Russian TIFF again. This time, it works, and I can change the color with the direct select tool and the swatches palette.

    8) Um, let's try the other image ("Click it or TICKET!"). I place it once into the frame... I can't change the color. I then delete the image, and just place it again. This time, it works.

    I've done this about twenty times so far. It's the same every time. I can't colorize a grayscale TIFF in a picture frame unless I place it, delete it, and then place it again.

    Best not to ask why...
    Joel_Cherney@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    You might want to try the universal first fix for weird behavior: trash the prefs.

    IMMEDIATELY as you launch ID hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys and say yes when the dialog pops up. If you don't get asked if you want to replace the preferences, you were too slow.