Professional Web Applications Themes

Colors don't match in color palatte and toolbox - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Running Windows XP, Illustrator 10 and Page Maker 7.0. I have a number of images (94 - predominately text) that were originally PowerPoint slides that I saved as PDFs and opened in Illustrator. I changed all of the text to black and created outlines. I then selected some of the text and changed the color from 100% black to 50% black using the color palette. I saved each image as an EPS and placed them into Page Maker. When I print separations in Page Maker (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black all selected), the black plate is the only color that ...

  1. #1

    Default Colors don't match in color palatte and toolbox

    Running Windows XP, Illustrator 10 and Page Maker 7.0. I have a number of images (94 - predominately text) that were originally PowerPoint slides that I saved as PDFs and opened in Illustrator. I changed all of the text to black and created outlines. I then selected some of the text and changed the color from 100% black to 50% black using the color palette. I saved each image as an EPS and placed them into Page Maker. When I print separations in Page Maker (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black all selected), the black plate is the only color that prints. However, my print vendor is telling me that the images are CMYK and that all plates print when they print separations. Looking again at my Illustrator EPS files, we noticed that when the text that's 50% black is selected, the color palette shows the color as 50% black in gray scale mode, yet the color in the toolbox (when double-clicked) shows a CMYK formula of C-43,M-31,Y-28,K-13. Which color is accurate, why aren't they both the same and why are my printer and I getting different outcomes when printing separations? I've done numerous projects like this before and sent them to the same vendor without this problem. Any insight anyone can provide would be most appreciated, as my vendor and I are both baffled!
    Laura_Ludwig@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Colors don't match in color palatte and toolbox

    Laura,

    select the text in question and open the Appearance palette (Shift-F6). The Type Object item in this palette is your text, so when you select it in the palette - the Toolbox will show you the "real" color of your text. Now, the Fill and Stroke items in the Appearance palette are Appearance attributes. If they aren't set to None - they will trigger process plates (or whatever color is assigned to them).

    If you select multiple text objects, you will probably not be able to see anything in the Appearance palette aside of "Mixed Appearances" items. In this case, you'll have to select the objects one by one.

    Hope this helps ;)

    Cheers!
    Alexander_Kogan.@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have a HUGE issue with gradients in CS. I don't even know where to begin. The skinny of it is that any gradients that are created in CS do not edit properly. You can work on them for maybe 2 min. then the color palette and tool palette don't match. If you click on the gradient the color palette does not show the proper colors and if you click on the gradient tab it is blank or sometimes shows a color or pattern that isn't even in the doent. I've tried using the appearance window as suggested, but when I click on the gradient fill in there nothing happens......still blank and sometimes even change my gradient to a solid color???? The only way I can work with gradients is to save my doent, close CS, restart CS and this sometimes will work...sometimes have to restart the entire PC. One other problem is if I have more than one gradient in the same doent, one will take on the same color as the other one if I try and change one of the percentages of CMYK?!

    I could go on and on.......do you think the installation of Illustrator somehow got corrupt in some areas?

    Frustrated........

    Cheers
    Mike_Weston@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Mike, if something really weird starts to happen, always try deleting the AIPREFS file first :) Instructions are in the FAQ.
    Alexander_Kogan.@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    That was definately my problem. s that I had to reset everything.
    timnolen@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    s that I had to reset everything.

    Save a copy of you prefs in another folder (when you've got it just how you like it) and use it to replace any corrupt versions.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest