Professional Web Applications Themes

Colour (color) not matching between two Illustrator projects - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have been working on some buisness stuff for work using Illustrator CS2, basically buisness cards, brochures etc. Now I eventually got the buisness cards to a design the boss wanted so I moved onto the brochure. Now I have hit a problem. As I am trying to keep everything in line with each other and keep a consitant look and feel so I am using the same colour on each project. Now for some reason Pantone Solid Coated Hexachrome Orange C changes between each project. If I open each one and have them both open on screen at once ...

  1. #1

    Default Colour (color) not matching between two Illustrator projects

    I have been working on some buisness stuff for work using Illustrator CS2, basically buisness cards, brochures etc. Now I eventually got the buisness cards to a design the boss wanted so I moved onto the brochure.

    Now I have hit a problem.

    As I am trying to keep everything in line with each other and keep a consitant look and feel so I am using the same colour on each project. Now for some reason Pantone Solid Coated Hexachrome Orange C changes between each project. If I open each one and have them both open on screen at once I see a massive difference (well not massive, it's still orange it's just different). Now if I open up a standard "Pantone Solid Coated" swatch and flick between the two different projects I can see the colours switch in the swatch (try saying that when your drunk). They get lighter and darker between the two projects.

    This is worrying me as I don't want them to come out different at the printers, and it's just annoying to look at on my screen as I can't work others complimentry colours out together if everything looks different. I know I can't expect my screen to match the printers but I would at least expect each project to have the same orange displayed if it's the same orange.

    Both projects are set to CMYK and now both have a colour profile added, but whatever I have that on they still look different. The proofing is also the same, I just can't figure out what the hell is going on, have I missed an option somewhere?

    I am using CS2 on a PC.

    Oh I just noticed, if I create a new project it's the same orange as the brochue not the original buisness card...oh my head hurts!

    Regards
    Paul
    DTWD@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Paul,

    Are you sure you have not started the first project in RGB mode and switched, after choosing the colour(s)? If you have, you may reinsert.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Jacob,

    It may have started life off as RGB, I cant honestly remember, but it's in CMYK now and I have tried re-adding the color from the swatch and it's the same. Do you mean rebuilding the entire thing?

    Regards
    Paul
    DTWD@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Paul,

    Do you mean rebuilding the entire thing?

    No. What happens if you copy the artwork from the first project (Ctrl+C) and paste it (Ctrl+F) in its own layer in one of the other projects?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jacob,

    AHA! It works! I just found the "remember layers" option as well so I can paste it all back to normal. Thanks very much Jacob.

    So you think it was down to the RGB thing then?

    Regards
    Paul
    DTWD@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Paul, you are welcome.

    So you think it was down to the RGB thing then?

    I believe it was: when you have different colours in different applications, such as Illy and PS, it is often a metter of colour (mis)management, but significant differences within Illy is usually an RGB/CMYK issue.

    By the way, one way to check your projects would have been to look at the CMYK values: funny values in all channels are a sure sign; the red/yellow Pantones only use M and Y. Do you still have the original?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Jacob,

    I didn't even think about checking the values. Sadly the only surviving versions of the old ones is where it's all fine. Something seems to have happend mid project, no idea what happend. It seemed that all the pantones, on the swatch, got darker. It must have been some strange setting somewhere.

    Well you learn something new everyday, including Pantone colours only using the M and Y of CMYK, didn't know that.

    Cheers

    Regards
    Paul
    DTWD@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Paul,

    Pantone colours only using the M and Y of CMYK,

    Reddish blues and bluish reds are CM, greenish blues and greens are CY, so the full statement is that many Pantones correspond to two out of three among CMY, with K added for darker colours.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Ah right, I think I will write that one down, will probably forget, but it's good for reference incase this kind of thing happens again.

    Many thanks Jacob

    Regards
    Paul
    DTWD@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Paul, you are welcome; just ask again if you forget.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Don't worry about it!

    As long as you specify the same ink and ink density through all of the projects - and as long as you're using the same type of paper and have a somewhat-competent printer - you'll be fine.

    When they create the plates and the work actually goes to press, what the color looked like on the screen becomes completely irrelevant. If you're worried about it, do a press check and bring the first project with you to compare the colors as things come off the press. Be aware though that the ink will dry back a little and end up a little lighter than when wet.

    +corwin
    corwin_hession-herzog@adobeforums.com Guest