Professional Web Applications Themes

Colour Managment - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi I started to design a logo in Illustrator 8 then, because I wanted the use of transparency, I decided to upgrade to Illustrator CS (trial ed). My client likes the colour of the logo printed on my Canon s4500 printer from Illustrator 8 but when I print from CS the colours print a slightly differently ie burgendy appears more like a mid brown... I have set the CMS to 'preserve the colours as per Illustrator 6' option in CS which looks fine on screen but still prints differently to the original Illustrator 8 version. Can I import the Illustrator ...

  1. #1

    Default Colour Managment

    Hi
    I started to design a logo in Illustrator 8 then, because I wanted the use of transparency, I decided to upgrade to Illustrator CS (trial ed). My client likes the colour of the logo printed on my Canon s4500 printer from Illustrator 8 but when I print from CS the colours print a slightly differently ie burgendy appears more like a mid brown...

    I have set the CMS to 'preserve the colours as per Illustrator 6' option in CS which looks fine on screen but still prints differently to the original Illustrator 8 version.

    Can I import the Illustrator 8 default RGB & cmyk colour settings to CS? I thought this might fix my problem.

    Computer Pent 3 600mhz
    Printer Canon s4500
    Win XP
    500MB ram

    Thanks.

    Pete W
    Peter_Willson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Colour Managment

    Peter,

    Suggest you take 15 minutes or so the look at
    [url]http://www.computer-darkroom.com[/url].

    Although the information there is presented for Photoshop, everything is
    equally applicable to Illustrator CS, and following the instructions there
    you should be able to get output that matches your screen image.

    One quick tip. When outputting to non-PostScript printers you should only
    send RGB data. No non-PostScript printer driver can pass CMYK data and the
    application has to convert to on-the-fly to RGB. This often leads to less
    than perfect colours on the output.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hello there,

    I have the same problem with what Mr.Peter has. I have gone through computer-darkroom.com and adjusted the necesary options. Still there is no improvements. Im using a canon bjc S300 printer. What could be the problem?
    adam_setia@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Peter and Adam,

    Have you made sure that the colour settings in CS and AI8 are identical? If you have used Emulate Adobe Illustrator 6.0 in CS but not in AI8 there is a difference.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jacob,

    There was no such thing as an "Emulate Adobe Illustrator 6.0" setting in IL 8. There was no RGB doent mode in IL 8 -- that was introduced at IL 9. IL 8 and earlier could only output device CMYK, which meant printing to anything other than a Postscript device was strictly pot luck as far as colors were concerned.

    Peter and Adam, if you want to do this right (and not just depend on lucky coincidences) you must follow the steps, starting with monitor calibration. Work in RGB mode if you are printing to non-Postscript desktop printers.

    =-= Harron =-=
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest