Professional Web Applications Themes

Column Break - Adobe Indesign Windows

One follow-up on this. Somehow the Start New Paragraph setting in a doent Ihad been working on became "unstuck" I use paragraph styles for all the text in my doent and have never had this happen before. But suddenly all my Enters (carriage returns, whatever you want to cal it, cr/lf) were turning into column breaks. No matter which of my defined paragrah styles I was using. I had NEVER changed the Start option before, never even knew it existed. So something in InDesign changed it, perhaps because of a keystroke combo I did. Experimenting further it looks like hitting ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Column Break

    One follow-up on this.

    Somehow the Start New Paragraph setting in a doent Ihad been working on became "unstuck" I use paragraph styles for all the text in my doent and have never had this happen before. But suddenly all my Enters (carriage returns, whatever you want to cal it, cr/lf) were turning into column breaks. No matter which of my defined paragrah styles I was using.

    I had NEVER changed the Start option before, never even knew it existed. So something in InDesign changed it, perhaps because of a keystroke combo I did.

    Experimenting further it looks like hitting shift-enter makes your enter always to a column break, and I don't know how to turn it off. Even closing InDesign and re-opening it doesn't help. I have to reboot the PC. This is with ID 2.02.

    Is this an "undoented feature"? Would be nice to know how to turn it back off, since going to the paragraph settings shows the Start option still set to Anywhere.

    Curious.

    Jeff
    Jeff_Alberts@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Now it's happening without hitting Shift-enter. Some update, I think must have changed something, since this only started recently.

    So does anyone know how to turn this off??? It's REALLY frustrating. And no, it doesn't matter if I use the number pad Enter or the normal Enter, both have the same effect.

  3. #3

    Did you refer to Mike's post #1? Sounds like the problem is in how you have your keep options set, either in the style, or in your defaults . . .

    AG
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Sh+enter is the standard shortcut for column break. If you want to turn it
    off, go to your keyboard shortcuts file and remove the shortcut.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I've read all the posts. As I said, its happening at unspecific times without having hit shift-enter, or by changing the styles. It just started happening, never done it before. All of the text in the doent is one of 5 styles, and none of those styles have it on at all. But once it happens it won't go away. So maybe there are places here and there that don't have a style set, maybe some white space, but it seems logical that once I hit a style that was defined properly that the option would be correct again, but it doesn't make a difference. I can go into the current style while it's happening, and the Start Paragraph option is still set to Anywhere.

    A keyboard shortcut, in my experience, is a one-shot deal, or a toggle. This seems to be neither, it turns on and won't turn off, until I re-boot the laptop. It's a relatively new laptop, about a month old, with Win XP home edition. I wonder if there's a compatibility issue, since the machine I used ID on previously was XP Pro...
    Jeff_Alberts@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I don't think XP Home vs. XP Pro would make any difference in this regard.

    Here's a longshot . . . on my XP Pro laptop, I've noticed sometimes when I've left my finger on the shift key (as when I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to say next) I get stuck in ALL CAPS mode and the only way to get out of it is to reboot. Even command keys act like they have a shift modifier, so that sounds similar to your situation. It doesn't matter if I switch to another program, either.

    I have a theory that there is some Windows control panel setting under keyboard or accessibility options that would fix this, but usually when it happens I just get so annoyed that I immediately reboot without looking for a long-term fix.

  7. #7

    It might be worth looking at the 'sticky keys' feature under the
    accessibility options in control panel.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Sticky Keys is turned off. I've been through that before. Stickey keys also wouldn't act the way I've described.

    It seems extremely random. Right now, I have the same doent open, hit Shift-Enter and it did NOT do a column break. Just did a cr/lf or new paragraph, whichever you want to call it.

    This has to be a bug in InDesign, since it doesn't happen in other word-processing programs I use.

    Actually, according to the keyboard shortcuts defaults I have, Text-shift+enter is Force Line Break, whatever that means. I suppose that just means cr/lf. Not sure what the "text" indicator in front of it is. Text-Num Enter is Column Break, which works as expected, but doesn't make the normal enter key act the same way.

    I'm at a loss, except to say that it's extremely annoying. I still believe this was the result of a recent update that ID does when I'm connected to the web. There really isn't any other explanation, in my opinion.

  9. #9

    Sorry, yes. Sh+enter is forced line break and numeric enter is column break.

    Forced line break is a very useful tool. It enables you to start a new line
    within a paragraph without invoking any styles that come from starting a new
    paragraph. So for instance, if you have a drop cap style associated with a
    paragraph style, hitting enter will start a new paragraph with a drop cap,
    hitting Sh enter simply starts a new 'paragraph' without the drop cap.

    As to the randomness you're seeing, all I can say is I'm patched up to 3.01
    and I don't see it.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I was having the same problem. I figured it out though, you had number lock turned on on your keyboard. Basically the same as having capslock on. So anytime you did a paragraph break (enter) you were really doing a column break (num + enter)

    And yes, this was one of the most annoying things Ive ever experienced. Took me like a half hour to figure it out
    Unregistered Guest