Professional Web Applications Themes

Column name case sensitive using Turkish client - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Hi, we have a problem with case sensitive column names in a database application running on a Turkish client. The database is an MSDE on the client machine, with server collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. The client program is in VB6, using ADO version 2.7. The problem occurs when accessing a column in a record set using the "!" operator (a.k.a. bang operator), for example: rs!columnname I have changed the default language of my (otherwise english) Windows 2000 to turkish, and I can reproduce the problem. A number of similar newsgroup postings suggest that the problem is the server collation, but in this ...

  1. #1

    Default Column name case sensitive using Turkish client

    Hi,

    we have a problem with case sensitive column names in a database application
    running on a Turkish client.

    The database is an MSDE on the client machine, with server collation
    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.

    The client program is in VB6, using ADO version 2.7. The problem occurs when
    accessing a column in a record set using the "!" operator (a.k.a. bang
    operator), for example:

    rs!columnname

    I have changed the default language of my (otherwise english) Windows 2000
    to turkish, and I can reproduce the problem.

    A number of similar newsgroup postings suggest that the problem is the
    server collation, but in this case the server collation is definitely case
    insensitive.

    I guess that the problem could be:
    - in VB6
    - in ADO
    - in OLEDB
    - in SQL Server
    but at present, I havn't a clue. I am hoping that I can fix it modifying
    some property of the database connection.

    Does anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance,

    Phil Jollans

    Phil Jollans Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Val,

    in principle yes, in practice no.

    We have used the ! operator at very many places in our programs and it would
    take a massive effort to change them all and to ensure that the correct case
    is used.

    VB always updates the case of names, so that they are consistent in a given
    module (or project?), which I normally don't mind. However, it seems to me
    that it is an error for VB to modify the names to the right of the !
    operator, since these are basically strings and not variable names.

    In some cases, we have variable names which are the same as column names,
    but which might have different case. This causes VB to modify the case of
    the column name, even if we had entered it correctly.

    Thus, I agree, that using the syntax .Fields("ColumnName") is safer in VB6.
    As a side issue, it also makes the code easier to port to VB.NET (while
    still using the original ADO).

    Unfortunately, this doesn't really help me and I am still looking for the
    root cause of this problem.

    Phil

    Phil Jollans Guest

  3. #3

    Our customer in Turkey has now confirmed, that if he sets the locale to
    English(US), then the problem is fixed.

    I'm still stumped on this one and would be grateful for any help.

    Phil

    Phil Jollans Guest

  4. #4

    A colleague of mine has investigated this and found some interesting
    information.

    Apparently it is a problem related specifically to Turkish, in particular to
    the letter i. (In Turkish, there are two versions of the letter i; with and
    without a dot.)

    It seems to be a known problem since MDAC 2.5, which Microsoft have not
    fixed.

    Phil

    Phil Jollans Guest