Professional Web Applications Themes

Combining Flat Panel and CRT Displays - CRT goes fuzzy - Mac Applications & Software

Running a 23 inch Apple flat panel and SONY 20 inch CRT (Multiscan G500) on a dual 1.4 Ghz G4, GeForce 4 Ti video card, OSX 10.2.6. With only the SONY attached its image is very sharp, same as it's been since I bought it ( approx 1-2 yrs ago ). When I attach the Apple flat panel in addition to the SONY the SONY gets very soft, appears out of focus. Adjusting the font smoothing parameters in System Preferences does not seem to help. This makes sense as the softness is not confined to the fonts - it can ...

  1. #1

    Default Combining Flat Panel and CRT Displays - CRT goes fuzzy

    Running a 23 inch Apple flat panel and SONY 20 inch CRT (Multiscan G500)
    on a dual 1.4 Ghz G4, GeForce 4 Ti video card, OSX 10.2.6.

    With only the SONY attached its image is very sharp, same as it's been
    since I bought it ( approx 1-2 yrs ago ). When I attach the Apple flat
    panel in addition to the SONY the SONY gets very soft, appears out of focus.

    Adjusting the font smoothing parameters in System Preferences does not
    seem to help. This makes sense as the softness is not confined to the
    fonts - it can be seen in images as well.

    Any thoughts on what might be amiss. Thanks

    John Nestor Guest

  2. #2

    On 17/7/03 9:08 pm, in article [email]3F1701FF.5000106earthlink.net[/email], "John Nestor"
    <jwnestorearthlink.net> wrote:

    > Running a 23 inch Apple flat panel and SONY 20 inch CRT (Multiscan G500)
    > on a dual 1.4 Ghz G4, GeForce 4 Ti video card, OSX 10.2.6.
    >
    > With only the SONY attached its image is very sharp, same as it's been
    > since I bought it ( approx 1-2 yrs ago ). When I attach the Apple flat
    > panel in addition to the SONY the SONY gets very soft, appears out of
    focus.

    > Adjusting the font smoothing parameters in System Preferences does not
    > seem to help. This makes sense as the softness is not confined to the
    > fonts - it can be seen in images as well.
    >
    > Any thoughts on what might be amiss. Thanks

    Have recently been playing with a 17" PB and an Apple 23" Cinema Display,
    was slightly confused when the 23" came up with a large black border. On a
    quicksilver the 23" is perfect.

    I came to the conclusion the the PB was optimising its video for the
    preferred display (the PB's) and the 23" was just having to fall in line.

    I can only assume in your case that the Quicksilver is optimising itself for
    the 23" and the Sony is having to accept a non-optimised video signal.
    Connect the Sony by itself and the G4 optimises the video for it correctly.

    In other words Apple firmware prefers Apple hardware.

    John Nestor Guest

  3. #3

    In article <3F1825D8.1000002earthlink.net>, John Nestor
    <jwnestorearthlink.net> wrote:
    > John Nestor wrote:
    > > On 17/7/03 9:08 pm, in article [email]3F1701FF.5000106earthlink.net[/email], "John Nestor"
    > > <jwnestorearthlink.net> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Running a 23 inch Apple flat panel and SONY 20 inch CRT (Multiscan G500)
    > > > on a dual 1.4 Ghz G4, GeForce 4 Ti video card, OSX 10.2.6.
    > > >
    > > > With only the SONY attached its image is very sharp, same as it's been
    > > > since I bought it ( approx 1-2 yrs ago ). When I attach the Apple flat
    > > > panel in addition to the SONY the SONY gets very soft, appears out of
    > > focus.
    > > >
    > > > Adjusting the font smoothing parameters in System Preferences does not
    > > > seem to help. This makes sense as the softness is not confined to the
    > > > fonts - it can be seen in images as well.
    > > >
    > > > Any thoughts on what might be amiss. Thanks
    > > >

    > > Have recently been playing with a 17" PB and an Apple 23" Cinema Display,
    > > was slightly confused when the 23" came up with a large black border. On a
    > > quicksilver the 23" is perfect.
    > >
    > > I came to the conclusion the the PB was optimising its video for the
    > > preferred display (the PB's) and the 23" was just having to fall in line.
    > >
    > > I can only assume in your case that the Quicksilver is optimising itself for
    > > the 23" and the Sony is having to accept a non-optimised video signal.
    > > Connect the Sony by itself and the G4 optimises the video for it correctly.
    > >
    > > In other words Apple firmware prefers Apple hardware.
    > >

    > If true this is a great disappointment. I spent much time at the NVDIA
    > and Apple Store sites where much was said about supporting mutiple
    > monitors of flat and crt variety. I could find no mention of
    > incompatability of flat and crt monitors on tne same machine. So I spent
    > the big bucks.
    >
    > Has anybody had successful experience using a flat panel and crt on the
    > same machine?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes, QuickSilver 867, Cinema 23" and Apple Studio 17" CRT on my
    neighbor's desk. Both work fine.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest