Professional Web Applications Themes

Comcast blocked e-mail debacle UPDATE-working now - Mac Networking

It looks like my e-mail and that of most other users is back to normal, not being blocked any more. So while I give them giant razberries for their sloppiness and failure to communicate, they get almost as giant props for fixing the problem in less than a day. There must have been some scrambling going on at ol' Comcast headquarters today. I don't know if they unblocked specific forwarding accounts that were sent to customer service/tech support, or if they simply turned off the giant spamblocker they had turned on yesterday. I'm just happy to be getting my mail ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Comcast blocked e-mail debacle UPDATE-working now

    It looks like my e-mail and that of most other users is back to normal,
    not being blocked any more. So while I give them giant razberries for
    their sloppiness and failure to communicate, they get almost as giant
    props for fixing the problem in less than a day. There must have been
    some scrambling going on at ol' Comcast headquarters today.

    I don't know if they unblocked specific forwarding accounts that were
    sent to customer service/tech support, or if they simply turned off the
    giant spamblocker they had turned on yesterday. I'm just happy to be
    getting my mail again, even if it means I have to trust my mail
    application to appropriately deal with messages from [email]Bobpump.com[/email].

    In article <030720031159391698%trashcanman68SpamFilteryahoo. com>,
    trashcanman68 <trashcanman68SpamFilter> wrote:
    > What a mess. I'm sure most of you know about Comcast buying ATTBI cable
    > modem. Two days ago, every ATTBI customer's e-mail address switched
    > over to *comcast.net. Well today, Comcast implemented a new "feature"
    > so that all e-mail forwarding services are being blocked for "spam
    > abuse." So hundreds of customers who had created custom e-mail
    > addresses that work via their ISP accounts suddenly stopped receiving
    > e-mail. Furthermore, the only way I found out about it was because of a
    > phone call from a perplexed client asking why her e-mail to me was
    > being bounced for spam abuse.
    >
    > Here's hoping Comcast straightens this out very soon. But I've got a
    > bad feeling. OTOH, good news for web hosting companies. I may need to
    > break down and shell out the extra cash for a real host.
    trashcanman68 Guest

  2. #2

    In article <030720031748166729%trashcanman68SpamFilteryahoo. com>,
    trashcanman68 <trashcanman68SpamFilter> wrote:
    > It looks like my e-mail and that of most other users is back to normal,
    > not being blocked any more
    Perhaps you should re-evaluate how you're handling email. IMO, it is
    inappropriate to introduce multiple points of failure. It creates a
    situation where problems are inevitable.

    Use real POP3 accounts, without forwarding. If your email client can't
    handle fetching from multiple POP3 accounts, then get a better client.

    > So while I give them giant razberries for their sloppiness and
    > failure to communicate, they get almost as giant props for fixing the
    > problem in less than a day. There must have been some scrambling
    > going on at ol' Comcast headquarters today.
    Doubtful. I think it was just their normal abuse procedure at work.
    (see below)

    > I don't know if they unblocked specific forwarding accounts that were
    > sent to customer service/tech support, or if they simply turned off
    > the giant spamblocker they had turned on yesterday. I'm just happy to
    > be getting my mail again, even if it means I have to trust my mail
    > application to appropriately deal with messages from
    > [email]Bobpump.com[/email].
    Although I didn't dig too deeply, I found that a number of the ip's used
    by mydomain.com are flagged on several blackhole lists. Apparently
    they're a source of spam. The normal procedure is to begin blackholing
    emails when the offender's abuse dept doesn't handle warnings in a
    timely fashion. IOW, my guess is that Comcast got tired of the spam,
    warned them, and got no response. So they upped the anty by blocking,
    because irate customers often manage to wake up providers...

    FWIW,
    - Dan.
    --
    - Psychoceramic Emeritus