Professional Web Applications Themes

Command to manually mount USB external harddrive? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear experts, I'm using Redhat Advanced Server 2.1. I have an external harddisk enclosure with an old disk in it, formatted as FAT32. I've been looking all over for info, including http://www.linux-usb.org/ It seems that my machine is recognizing the device at the OS level. ----------- cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1 Host scsi1: usb-storage Vendor: ADS Technologies lnc. Product: USB2.0 Storage Device Serial Number: A9EA07106634 Protocol: Transparent SCSI Transport: Bulk GUID: 06e1d1850000a9ea07106634 Attached: 1 ----------- cat /proc/scsi/scsi Attached devices: Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00 Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALL ST3.2A Rev: 0 0 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02 ----------- cat ...

  1. #1

    Default Command to manually mount USB external harddrive?

    -----------

    cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1

    Host scsi1: usb-storage
    Vendor: ADS Technologies lnc.
    Product: USB2.0 Storage Device
    Serial Number: A9EA07106634
    Protocol: Transparent SCSI
    Transport: Bulk
    GUID: 06e1d1850000a9ea07106634
    Attached: 1

    -----------

    cat /proc/scsi/scsi

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: QUANTUM Model: FIREBALL ST3.2A Rev: 0 0

    -----------
    cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers
    usbdevfs
    hub
    usb-storage

    -----------

    dmesg | grep -i scsi

    SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
    iSCSI version 2.0.1.8 ( 8-Aug-2001)
    iSCSI control device major number 254
    iSCSI: detected HBA cef94f04, host #0
    scsi0 : iSCSI (2.0.1.8)
    Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

    -------------

    cat /etc/modules.conf

    alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    alias usb-controller usb-uhci
    alias usb-controller1 usb-ohci
    alias char-major-195 nvidia

    -------------

    But, I haven't been able to find or figure out the command
    to mount this device anywhere.

    What is the command to manually mount this USB harddisk?

    Once I'm sure that it works ok, I'll go to automatic.

    Thanks
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    com wrote:

    maybe
    # mount /dev/sda0 /mnt/point
     [/ref][/ref]

    nico Guest

  3. #3

    com wrote:

    *snip*

    perhaps you should try 'mount /dev/sda1 /mnt'

    or try sda{2,3,etc}, I think that's what you need.

    -bob
    bob Guest

  4. #4

    bob wrote:
     [/ref]

    Create a directory in /mnt: mkdir /mnt/harddrive

    If the whoe harddrive is one partition then

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/harddrive

    (if you had a SCSI card on your machine, it had been /dev/sdb1)

    If there is more than one partition on the harddrive, then the second one
    would be /dev/sda2 and the third /dev/sda3 and so on, the mount line would
    look the same except for the number and you should mount it to another
    directory, which requiers you to create more directories in /mnt.
    Of course you can decide to make the directories somewhere else.

    //Aho
    J.O. Guest

  5. #5

    1. pull off hard drive
    2. su to root at command line
    3. type tail -f /var/log/messages
    4. Insert hard drive
    5. Look for something that starts off as /dev/... (minus the dots)
    6. CTRL+C
    7. write that down -- below in #9 I'll call this as "X", but replace
    it with what you wrote down
    8. mkdir /mnt/shiny_new_drive
    9. mount /dev/X /mnt/shiny_new_drive
    10. cd /mnt/shiny_new_drive
    11. ls

    I think you can also update fstab so that it automatically recognizes
    and mounts this USB drive the moment you insert it, but I don't know
    how to do that yet.
    Google Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all your responses. This worked for me:

    mkdir /mnt/usb
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb -rw -t vfat

    df -k
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 3142552 36 3142516 1% /mnt/usb

    It seems to take the first usb plugged in as sda1.
    Not according to how the OS, or hardware numbers the usb ports
    in the machine.

    So, if you have a number of usb devices to plug in, you would
    have probably have to change the number.

    -------------------

  7. #7

    On 23 Dec 2003 17:01:49 -0800, com wrote:

    I have found that editing updfstab.conf.default in /etc works much
    better. One does not need to keep track of which SCSI device to use
    etc.

    When an USB device has been added to the updfstab.conf.default file,
    then on connecting the USB drive an empty directory is automatically
    created in the /mnt directory. One can have distinctive names for the
    various devices. I have "camera" for my digital camera and flash64 for
    a 64MB USB flash pen, and flash128 for a 128MB flash disc.

    To mount the actual device one only have to do
    mount /mnt/<name>
    i.e. for the camera
    mount /mnt/camera

    When the device is removed the directory in the /mnt also dissappears,
    hence it is easy to check if a device is actually connected or not.

    So far the only time I have had problems with this method, is when I
    had more than one partition on a removable USB harddisc. If anyone
    can give me a pointer on how to handle multiple partitions I would
    appreciate it.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

     [/ref]

    Anton Guest

  8. #8

    I am having problem with usb dev also
    - Sony USB storage media
    - a Maxtor 120 GB with 4 partition connected with USB. All NTFS but
    Redhat figures it has bogus vfat
    I saw something about partition number in the updfstat.conf.default. I
    suspect that can fix your problem with more than on part. Unfortunately I
    could not find out how to use that.

    "Anton Erasmus" <net> wrote in message

    > I have found that editing updfstab.conf.default in /etc works much
    > better. One does not need to keep track of which SCSI device to use
    > etc.
    >
    > When an USB device has been added to the updfstab.conf.default file,
    > then on connecting the USB drive an empty directory is automatically
    > created in the /mnt directory. One can have distinctive names for the
    > various devices. I have "camera" for my digital camera and flash64 for
    > a 64MB USB flash pen, and flash128 for a 128MB flash disc.
    >
    > To mount the actual device one only have to do
    > mount /mnt/<name>
    > i.e. for the camera
    > mount /mnt/camera
    >
    > When the device is removed the directory in the /mnt also dissappears,
    > hence it is easy to check if a device is actually connected or not.
    >
    > So far the only time I have had problems with this method, is when I
    > had more than one partition on a removable USB harddisc. If anyone
    > can give me a pointer on how to handle multiple partitions I would
    > appreciate it.
    >
    > Regards
    > Anton Erasmus
    >

    > [/ref]