Professional Web Applications Themes

Comments on my pics, please... - Photography

Hi, I've just finished shooting my 8th roll since buying my first 'proper' SLR camera. I've put some of these pictures on my website... I'd love your comments... I'm learning as I go... and, I've not put much effort into the website... it's just a way to show the pics to anyone interested! Please let me know what you think of them, both positive and negative... i can take it! www.akom-webs.co.uk/photos/ TIA, Jon...

  1. #1

    Default Comments on my pics, please...

    Hi,

    I've just finished shooting my 8th roll since buying my first 'proper' SLR
    camera. I've put some of these pictures on my website... I'd love your
    comments... I'm learning as I go... and, I've not put much effort into the
    website... it's just a way to show the pics to anyone interested!

    Please let me know what you think of them, both positive and negative... i
    can take it!

    www.akom-webs.co.uk/photos/

    TIA,

    Jon

    Akomic Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Comments on my pics, please...

    "Akomic" <ic> wrote:

    http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    chad Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Jon,

    You're off to a great start, a lot of the same type of images I take when
    playing around with a new camera. like to see what your 108th roll looks
    like.

    technically, the images are perfect. compositionally, looks like you were
    in a hurry for one shot, it's a little crooked ;) just remember the
    rule of 3rd and remember that all rules are made to be broken.

    --
    Jerry
    www.whatevah.com / jerry at whatevah dot com

    "Akomic" <ic> wrote in message

    Whatevah Guest

  4. #4

    These images are superb! Great work!

    Ken Roberts
    "Akomic" <ic> wrote in message

    Guest

  5. #5

    I haven't read the other comments yet purposely, but here are my reactions.

    I think you have a strong "eye". I don't know how much you've studied, but
    if you haven't studied you are naturally doing the right things. There are
    little refinements you'll get over time, but you have the one thing "money
    can't buy". First of all, you're using the "rule of thirds" putting the
    focus point of the photograph into those "quadrants" where it feels right.
    But beyond that you *have* a subject, which not all beginners can
    understand. That's not to say "an object", but philosophically your
    photographs, or most of them, are *about* something; an idea, a feeling, an
    insight.

    There's also something else you're doing which I saw in the Ansel Adams
    exhibit I just visited at the High Museum here in Atlanta. You're
    contrasting ideas--something massive, against something delicate, that sort
    of thing. Similar in one sense, but opposite in another sense. I hate to
    break these things down intellectually, but look at your first photo, "dusk
    on the farm". You have a massive, dark, sillhoutted tree that has a "crook"
    shape in the lowest limb. Just below that is a thin, relatively delicate
    metal fence which *echoes the same crooked shape*--so that the two opposite
    things talk to each other in their similarity. I don't know if you did that
    on purpose or you were just feeling it, but this is the same thing Ansel
    Adams does in several of his photographs. A massive solid mountain next to a
    huge insubstantial cloud, echoing each other's shapes, for example, caught
    my eye in the exhibit.

    That tree has a presence. Twenty people could set up tripods in that same
    location but they wouldn't all have conveyed that tree as a massive
    presence.

    Also, you are using framing, foreground and background. In this same
    photograph, the tree frames the foreground and then you have a layer of
    objects in the middle distance, and then it goes into the far distance, so
    there is a real feeling of depth.

    Finally, there are lines of force, bringing your eye around the photo but
    never letting you go outside it, always bringing you back in. You look at
    the tree, move down the limb to the fence, move out into the field into the
    far distance, and then are pulled up into the tree again (at least I am).

    Finally (really finally), you have a large black object which balances the
    small, light misty mountain in the distance. So this huge black massive
    object on the left side of the frame is still balanced by the small light
    object at the bottom right, and by the branches reaching into the frame from
    the left, and the whole thing is balanced. It's dynamic rather than static.

    Hope this helps. As for the people, you are getting behind their faces to
    their personalities. They are real people and they are thinking something
    and feeling something. You haven't just made a snapshot, you are creating
    candid portraits.

    Anyway, my suggestion is learn the rules, but don't let anyone "teach" this
    native talent out of you. Better to break a few rules and retain this
    natural gift.
    Steve S.

    "Akomic" <ic> wrote in message

    Steve Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,

    Thanks for those comments... I didn't realise I was so good!

    What I will say is that I bought a book last week... not a particularly high
    brow one, but a useful little spot of bedtime reading/viewing!

    I have done some computer artwork in the past, and I like to think of myself
    as a perfectionist, so, yeah, I suppose you're right that from the very
    beginning I tried to frame images etc... not really knowing the correct way
    to do so etc...

    Anyway... thanks again for your comments!!!

    Jon

    "Steve S." <com> wrote in message
    reactions.
    an
    sort
    "dusk
    "crook"
    opposite
    that

    the
    from
    static.
    this [/ref]
    SLR [/ref]
    the [/ref]

    >[/ref]

    Akomic Guest

  7. #7

    my comment is on the webpage and not the photos...

    would be nice to see the picture in its entirety rather than scrolling up
    and down
    maybe try to shrink the top frame or shrink the image ... I think shrinking
    the top frame
    is better .. that way the images are not so small ...

    nice pictures by the way ...

    "Akomic" <ic> wrote in message

    mememe Guest

  8. #8

    Great start. It's fun, isn't it?!?

    Keep in mind there's lotsa good material on the net; you don't have to
    spend a fortune on books.

    You might enjoy the articles on my site at www. jamesphotography.ca

    Good Luck!

    jim

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:40:48 +0100, "Akomic" <ic> wrote:

    jim h

    http://www.jamesphotography.ca

    More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...
    Jim Guest