Professional Web Applications Themes

communication between an application, custom controls, and user controls - ASP.NET Building Controls

Hi, and many thanks in advance... I'm a little lost about how to proceed with communication between an application, custom controls, and user controls... Within a site I have... ShoppingCart.dll: (Code for a custom control that handles database interaction of a shopping cart: cookies, storing the order, etc. It gets info from a sqldatabase so, two instances will have the same data) showProducts.ascx A user control that dispays products. This contains "AD" buttons which are involved in handling adding items to the ShoppingCart.dll and has an AddToCart(...) function. An instance of the ShoppingCart.dll is established in MasterPage.Master file in the ...

  1. #1

    Default communication between an application, custom controls, and user controls

    Hi, and many thanks in advance...

    I'm a little lost about how to proceed with communication between an
    application, custom controls, and user controls...

    Within a site I have...
    ShoppingCart.dll:
    (Code for a custom control that handles database interaction of a
    shopping cart: cookies, storing the order, etc. It gets info from a
    sqldatabase so, two instances will have the same data)

    showProducts.ascx
    A user control that dispays products. This contains "AD" buttons which
    are involved in handling adding items to the ShoppingCart.dll and has
    an AddToCart(...) function.

    An instance of the ShoppingCart.dll is established in MasterPage.Master
    file in the Page_Load event: dim mySC as ShoppingCart. (I want to do
    it here because it checks for cookies and stuff)

    How do I go about letting myShoppingCart (ShoppingCart.dll) know when
    someone clicks a button inside the showProducts user control?

    I guess my options are:
    1. Create two instances of the ShoppingCart object. One in
    masterPage.Master and one inside showProducts.ascx. This seems messy
    to me.
    2. Have the showProducts.ascx get a hold of the myShoppingCart
    object. (Please don't throw anything at me for even thinking of doing
    this.)
    3. Inside the user control showProducts.ascx create a datatable as a
    property and access it in the masterPage.Master's Page_Load event, then
    throw that into the ShoppingCart.dll variable.
    4. Have the showProducts.ascx raise a masterpage event that handles
    the AddtoCart button click.

    I'm just a little lost and needed to be pointed into the right
    direction.
    Thank you 1000%.

    Beatnik's/BelleVegas.com

    Beatniks Guest

  2. #2

    OK! Excuse my zombie-like-deer-in-the-headlights trance.

    I now figured out that I need to ad this to my custom controlS:

    Public Event AddButtonClick(ByVal s As Object, ByVal s As EventArgs)

    Protected Sub OnAddButtonClick(ByVal e As EventArgs)
    RaiseEvent AddButtonClick(Me, EventArgs.Empty)
    End Sub

    and then handle the event with <... OnAddButtonClick="..." ... />

    Beatniks Guest

  3. #3

    I found a great article abou this stuff...
    [url]http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/excerpt/ASP.NETCookbook_chap1/index.html?page=2[/url]

    Beatniks Guest