Professional Web Applications Themes

Compact Access Db Remotely? - ASP Database

Hi, I'm relatively new to .asp, so please forgive the newbie question. I have a few websites I'm responsible for now - and have been laboriously downloading the Access db's, compacting them, then uploading them back to the server on a regular basis. Something I recently read, led me to believe that I don't have to be going thru this tiresome chore. Is there a script or method that I could use to accomplish the compacting without having to download, compact, then upload again? And if so, will the compacting process lock users out for that minute or so? Thanks ...

  1. #1

    Default Compact Access Db Remotely?

    Hi, I'm relatively new to .asp, so please forgive the newbie question. I
    have a few websites I'm responsible for now - and have been laboriously
    downloading the Access db's, compacting them, then uploading them back to
    the server on a regular basis.

    Something I recently read, led me to believe that I don't have to be going
    thru this tiresome chore. Is there a script or method that I could use to
    accomplish the compacting without having to download, compact, then upload
    again? And if so, will the compacting process lock users out for that
    minute or so?

    Thanks in advance,
    ~ Sue

    Sue Barth Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compact Access Db Remotely?

    :
    : Something I recently read, led me to believe that I don't have to be going
    : thru this tiresome chore. Is there a script or method that I could use to
    : accomplish the compacting without having to download, compact, then upload
    : again? And if so, will the compacting process lock users out for that
    : minute or so?

    Hi Sue...

    [url]http://www.asp101.com/tips/index.asp?id=97[/url]

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall Guest

  3. #3

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2190[/url]

    (Note that this can affect permissions and autonumber columns.)

    --
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Sue Barth" <SuenSytes.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm relatively new to .asp, so please forgive the newbie question. I
    > have a few websites I'm responsible for now - and have been laboriously
    > downloading the Access db's, compacting them, then uploading them back to
    > the server on a regular basis.
    >
    > Something I recently read, led me to believe that I don't have to be going
    > thru this tiresome chore. Is there a script or method that I could use to
    > accomplish the compacting without having to download, compact, then upload
    > again? And if so, will the compacting process lock users out for that
    > minute or so?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > ~ Sue

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you both - I will try both to see which works better. Looks like the
    2nd article gives a couple extra methods.

    Do either of you know what would happen if a guest were to visit your site
    while the db was compacting? Would they get an error msg? If so, is there
    a way you know of to trap for that? Perhaps create an html page during the
    compacting that would give a msg to try back in a couple of minutes... just
    thinking as I type!

    Thanks again,
    ~ Sue

    "Sue Barth" <SuenSytes.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm relatively new to .asp, so please forgive the newbie question. I
    > have a few websites I'm responsible for now - and have been laboriously
    > downloading the Access db's, compacting them, then uploading them back to
    > the server on a regular basis.
    >
    > Something I recently read, led me to believe that I don't have to be going
    > thru this tiresome chore. Is there a script or method that I could use to
    > accomplish the compacting without having to download, compact, then upload
    > again? And if so, will the compacting process lock users out for that
    > minute or so?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > ~ Sue

    Sue Barth Guest

  5. #5

    If you compact regularly, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds. I
    think the ASP script trying to access it would just block for a few seconds.
    If the compact was taking longer, the script itself would probably time out
    waiting.

    Of course, you could always test it, rather than rely on my shady guesswork.
    ;-)

    --

    > Thank you both - I will try both to see which works better. Looks like
    the
    > 2nd article gives a couple extra methods.
    >
    > Do either of you know what would happen if a guest were to visit your site
    > while the db was compacting? Would they get an error msg? If so, is
    there
    > a way you know of to trap for that? Perhaps create an html page during
    the
    > compacting that would give a msg to try back in a couple of minutes...
    just
    > thinking as I type!
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > ~ Sue
    >
    > "Sue Barth" <SuenSytes.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm relatively new to .asp, so please forgive the newbie question.
    > > have a few websites I'm responsible for now - and have been laboriously
    > > downloading the Access db's, compacting them, then uploading them back
    > > the server on a regular basis.
    > >
    > > Something I recently read, led me to believe that I don't have to be
    going
    > > thru this tiresome chore. Is there a script or method that I could use
    > > accomplish the compacting without having to download, compact, then
    upload
    > > again? And if so, will the compacting process lock users out for that
    > > minute or so?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > ~ Sue

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest