Professional Web Applications Themes

COMPACT FLASH CARDS - andrew asks - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Every time I empty my CF card onto my hard disc I find there is a folder on it called MISC which contains nothing. Can I safely delete it - and can I stop it being created? Andrew...

  1. #1

    Default COMPACT FLASH CARDS - andrew asks

    Every time I empty my CF card onto my hard disc I find there is a folder on it called MISC which contains nothing. Can I safely delete it - and can I stop it being created?

    Andrew
    Andrew Turek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: COMPACT FLASH CARDS - andrew asks

    Andrew,

    I doubt that you can stop it from being created.

    Each digicam creates it's own file structure, and it is apparent that your
    camera wants a MISC folder. Whether that folder is there "just because", or
    for esoteric purposes, you may be able to determine by delving into your
    camera's manual.

    Byron

    Byron Gale Guest

  3. #3

    I agree that you probably can't get rid of it. I've been trying for over a year to figure out how to get rid of an annoying folder my Canon generates. No joy.
    Beth Haney Guest

  4. #4

    /misc is folder from where firmware updates must be run in some cam
    brands.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  5. #5

    Why do you all care to delete that folder? My coolpix makes a folder like that, but I never copy it when I upload images. After archiving my images, I reformat the card in the camera which empties the card, so the extra folders never multiply or anything. This sounds like trying to delete some of the esoteric system folders in Windows.
    Eric
    Eric Matthes Guest

  6. #6

    I guess I'm just an inveterate meddler. The last words I ever speak will be "I wonder what that button does". Eric, as to your suggestion, I have heard that repeatedly reformatting any storage medium reduces its capacity over time, or is that an Urban Computer Myth?

    Andrew
    Andrew Turek Guest

  7. #7

    "Andrew Turek" <andrewturek.co.uk> wrote in message
    > [...] I have heard that repeatedly reformatting any storage
    > medium reduces its capacity over time, or is that an
    > Urban Computer Myth?
    I never heard that, but there's a grain of truth in it. That is, repeated
    formatting (or any kind of writing, for that matter) does shorten the
    lifetime of non-volatile computer memory (like flash cards). However, the
    lifetime is generally so long in the first place that by the time your flash
    card fails because of all the writing you've done to it, you'll be using a
    camera that can only fit a handful of images on that flash card, if even
    one.

    It's theoretically possible that a flash card would just isolate the failed
    sections, thus reducing capacity. But in reality, I'm pretty sure that the
    entire card would just fail to work. Once part of it starts to go, the rest
    is sure to follow soon enough anyway. But whether the whole card fails, or
    just parts of it, you're unlikely to ever manage to break one.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest