Professional Web Applications Themes

Compaq Evo n800w - SCO

I'm trying to install OSR 5.0.7 on a Compaq Evo n800w notebook. I was getting 'panic type E' errors until I used: defbootstr disable=cha,ciss This let me go through a seemingly normal installation, but when it was done, the notebook wouldn't boot, giving: Stage 1 boot failure: error loading (hd40)/boot -- JP...

  1. #1

    Default Compaq Evo n800w

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compaq Evo n800w

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    See:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=com

    The recipe in that article should work. Boot with "tools
    disable=cha,ciss" to start it off.

    Bela Guest

  3. #3

    Bela Lubkin typed (on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:25:50AM +0000):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    |
    | > I'm trying to install OSR 5.0.7 on a Compaq Evo n800w notebook.
    | >
    | > I was getting 'panic type E' errors until I used:
    | >
    | > defbootstr disable=cha,ciss
    | >
    | > This let me go through a seemingly normal installation, but when it was
    | > done, the notebook wouldn't boot, giving:
    | >
    | > Stage 1 boot failure: error loading (hd40)/boot
    |
    | See:
    |
    | http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=com

    This article is also archived on Tony's site:

    http://www.aplawrence.com/Bofcusm/2289.html

    | The recipe in that article should work. Boot with "tools
    | disable=cha,ciss" to start it off.

    Thanks, Bela, that opened the door.

    While this laptop has a 60Gb hard drive, after telling OSR 5.0.7 at
    installation to use the entire disk for Unix, it presented me with a
    divvy table with 27.6 GB of blocks -- I seem to have lost half of the
    disk.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest

  4. #4

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    Didn't know that. I don't see those because when I'm looking for
    something I remember having posted, I search dejagoo, and it of course
    doesn't know about derivative web-based presentations like Tony's
    bofcusm.

    I also prefer the dejagoo presentation, it's closer to the original
    form.

    What geometry does it show for the disk?

    It's probably wrong. Thus, a candidate for the "Wd Driver Supplement".
    The readme mentions:

    * Better disk geometry configuration.

    which in this case means "probably won't get the stupid wrong geometry
    it used to get".

    If you install the supplement, your disk's geometry will change. In the
    past this would have made it unbootable, but the supplement also
    supplies changes that make OSR5 much less sensitive to geometry issues
    (these changes apply to SCSI as well as IDE). (*)

    Once installed, the disk geometry will change, but the size of your Unix
    partition will not. You can add a second Unix partition to use the rest
    of the space. You can also expand the existing one, provided it is the
    only or physically last partition on the disk. OSR5 `fdisk` doesn't
    make this very easy: you can't just change the partition's end-block (as
    you can in `divvy`). Instead you have to delete and re-add the
    partition, an operation that you should perform with the utmost care.

    There is one convenient escape hatch. If the partition was originally
    created with "Use Entire Disk for UNIX", it will start on track 1 and
    end wherever the disk used to end. In that case you can again choose
    "Use Entire Disk for UNIX". The new partition exactly overlays the old
    one.

    For any future readers: we're talking about brain surgery here. It's
    easy enough if you know what you're doing; it's very dangerous if you
    are uncertain. I know that JP knows how to work this stuff; I also know
    that he's talking about a machine that has just been installed and
    cannot have much valuable stuff on it to be destroyed...

    A caution: the Wd Supplement readme doents an install order. Follow
    it. Briefly:

    If you don't intend to install OSR507UP1,

    OSR507; OSR507MP1; Wd Supplement; [optional LFPS]

    If you do intend to install OSR507UP1,

    OSR507; OSR507MP1; OSR507UP1; Wd Supplement; [optional LFPS]

    This is because OSR507UP1 will back out parts of the Wd Supplement,
    possibly leaving the system unbootable. An install order of "OSR507; Wd
    Supplement; OSR507MP1; OSR507UP1; Wd Supplement again" will not work
    because custom+ will prevent Wd Supplement from being installed a second
    time.

    (*)I recommend the recent pair of supplements, "Wd Driver Supplement"
    and "Large Filesystem Performance Supplement", for all OSR507 systems.
    "Wd" includes geometry independence improvements which apply to all
    systems, including SCSI. LFPS has some performance aspects which could
    potentially be seen on any system, large or not; and others which will
    only be seen on large filesystems.

    Bela Guest

  5. #5

    Bela Lubkin <com> wrote:
     [/ref]
     [/ref]

    There are advantages and disadvantages to what I save. The advantage is that
    I don't save the crapola, so you don't have to wade through twenty thousand
    unimportant postings, and that my indexing tries to include words you
    might be searching by, rather than just what's in the text. The disadvantage
    is that I don't necessarily save something that might turn out to be what you
    want, and there's no way to thread what I saved or go to any references. However,
    when I have wanted to do that, having the exact subject and date helps the Google
    search.

    Well, I do strip out what I think are unimportant header lines. Do you
    think I should leave them all in? I figured Subject, From, References and Date
    were all that is really of interest. I don't take out anything else; the
    rest is verbatim except in very rare cases where I think it's important
    to add some note for clarity, and that would always be explicitly set off..

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  6. #6

    Bela Lubkin typed (on Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 09:28:40AM +0000):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > While this laptop has a 60Gb hard drive, after telling OSR 5.0.7 at
    | > installation to use the entire disk for Unix, it presented me with a
    | > divvy table with 27.6 GB of blocks -- I seem to have lost half of the
    | > disk.
    |
    | What geometry does it show for the disk?
    |
    | It's probably wrong. Thus, a candidate for the "Wd Driver Supplement".
    | The readme mentions:
    |
    | * Better disk geometry configuration.
    |
    | which in this case means "probably won't get the stupid wrong geometry
    | it used to get".

    It's good that the wd supplement can be installed after OSR 5.0.7 is up
    and running. Had I needed to use the BTLD incarnation, I'd be up the
    proverbial creek, since the laptop has no floppy drive.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Guest