Professional Web Applications Themes

Comparison between db2 on solaris and aix - IBM DB2

Hi all - I'm looking for any information relating to a comparison of DB2 running on AIX or Solaris - anyone have any info/links which can help ? Hopefully from a DBA perspective - manageability, different functionality(if any), performance, traps/gotchas etc .. thanks in advance pete...

  1. #1

    Default Comparison between db2 on solaris and aix

    Hi all - I'm looking for any information relating to a comparison of
    DB2 running on AIX or Solaris - anyone have any info/links which can
    help ?
    Hopefully from a DBA perspective - manageability, different
    functionality(if any), performance, traps/gotchas etc ..

    thanks in advance

    pete
    Peter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Comparison between db2 on solaris and aix

    They're 99% the same. DB2 on AIX has more published benchmarks on
    www.tpc.org, but IBM has been more keen on publishing TPC benchmarks
    with DB2/AIX then Sun has with DB2/Solaris (hardware vendors publish on
    TPC). For that matter, AIX and Solaris are very similar (much closer to
    each other as System V UNIX's than HP or Linux).

    Blair Guest

  3. #3

    com.au (Peter Brown) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Hi Pete,

    I have administered DB2 on Solaris 7 for three years. We picked DB2 to
    run on Solaris, not the other way around, primarily because my IT guys
    were enamored with big Sun iron at the time. In short, the Sun
    Enterprise hardware and Sun disks have performed flawlessly, and DB2
    is stable enough on Solaris to run easily for several months at a
    time.

    We use raw DMS containers for most of our tablespaces, so we hit
    against a frustrating limit in Solaris 7 & 8 that allowed a single
    disk (or disk array) to be carved into no more than seven raw
    slices/partitions. I've heard this limit goes away in Solaris 9, which
    has repurposed some kind of volume manager similar to what AIX has had
    for quite a few years. I guess my Solaris admins could have
    implemented a third-party logical volume manager for Solaris 7, but
    the seven slice limitation wasn't devastating enough to force us in
    that direction.

    Every now and then, you'll see some weird Solaris-only bugs in the
    list of APARs fixed by a particular FixPak. Maybe I'm not being
    entirely objective here, since I'm naturally more concerned about DB2
    bugs on Solaris, which is our only production DB2 environment.

    I've opened a few PMRs with DB2 Support, who have occasionally hinted
    at a limited amount of Solaris machines available for reproducing
    customer problems. I can't help but think that some of my calls could
    have been resolved more quickly if the call had involved AIX instead.
    Once again, this is just my impression of the situation.

    There are more AIX-specific variables in the DB2 registry that those
    for Solaris. Is it because the DB2 developers favor AIX, or is it
    because DB2 needs extra knobs for optimum performance on AIX? I'm sure
    someone will respond with a knowledgable answer.

    There is one thing I am absolutely sure of: IBM has a terrible track
    record for porting various data management tools to Solaris, even
    though the tools were available on AIX since day one. I first
    encountered this with the spatial extender for DB2 V7. My company was
    waving the wad of cash for a spatial extender on Solaris, and we
    couldn't get anyone to take it until DB2 V8 was released. Nowadays,
    we're having the exact same problem with the server-side components of
    DB2 Warehouse Center and Warehouse Manager, which are only offered on
    AIX and Windows. If you are only interested in running the database
    with a few extenders, the things you need will most likely be
    available on Solaris. Otherwise, you might want to look at AIX, since
    IBM has released (and continues to release) every DB2 product
    imaginable for it.

    Occasionally, I turned to an IBM division called the Ranger Team,
    which oversees issues concerning DB2 and Sun. If you end up running
    DB2 on Sun, it would be good to get to know some of those guys in case
    you need anything out of the ordinary. They've been very helpful.

    Hope this helps,

    Fred
    Fred Guest

  4. #4

    There are more registry varialbles that are WIndows and AIX-only because
    we do more benchmarks on AIX (and Windows). Sun is not a big believer
    or backer on TPC-C benchmarks.

    Fred wrote:

> [...]
    > waving the wad of cash for a spatial extender on Solaris, and we
    > couldn't get anyone to take it until DB2 V8 was released. Nowadays,
    > we're having the exact same problem with the server-side components of
    > DB2 Warehouse Center and Warehouse Manager, which are only offered on
    > AIX and Windows. If you are only interested in running the database
    > with a few extenders, the things you need will most likely be
    > available on Solaris. Otherwise, you might want to look at AIX, since
    > IBM has released (and continues to release) every DB2 product
    > imaginable for it.
    >
    > Occasionally, I turned to an IBM division called the Ranger Team,
    > which oversees issues concerning DB2 and Sun. If you end up running
    > DB2 on Sun, it would be good to get to know some of those guys in case
    > you need anything out of the ordinary. They've been very helpful.

    Blair Guest

  5. #5

    Take the comment on Solaris machines with a grain of salt. Developers
    and Service engineers never have as much hardware as they want.

    We have tons of Solaris SMPs in the IBM Toronto Lab, where we develop
    and Support DB2 on Solaris. The acquisition of Informix's database
    business also increased the number of Solaris machines and
    Solaris-skilled people working on our team. When is comes to massive
    SMP's, we have as many Sun boxes as AIX boxes.

    Fred wrote:

> [...]
    > waving the wad of cash for a spatial extender on Solaris, and we
    > couldn't get anyone to take it until DB2 V8 was released. Nowadays,
    > we're having the exact same problem with the server-side components of
    > DB2 Warehouse Center and Warehouse Manager, which are only offered on
    > AIX and Windows. If you are only interested in running the database
    > with a few extenders, the things you need will most likely be
    > available on Solaris. Otherwise, you might want to look at AIX, since
    > IBM has released (and continues to release) every DB2 product
    > imaginable for it.
    >
    > Occasionally, I turned to an IBM division called the Ranger Team,
    > which oversees issues concerning DB2 and Sun. If you end up running
    > DB2 on Sun, it would be good to get to know some of those guys in case
    > you need anything out of the ordinary. They've been very helpful.

    Blair Guest

  6. #6

    com.au (Peter Brown) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Both are very good, but the thing I like most about Solaris is that it
    supports more memory (3.3GB) as opposed to AIX (1.7 GB) in 32-bit
    instances. And we all know how databases LOVE memory... but if you
    have good sys admin skills for one over the other in house, then go
    with what you know.

    Leo
    Leo Guest