Professional Web Applications Themes

Comparison with Custom CMS - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I am a consultant for a small hospital that is about to completely redesign its web site. We have collected preliminary estimates from a number of vendors, a couple of whom are trying to sell us a proprietary content management system for site upkeep. I know from experience with other firms that purchasing licenses to these proprietary systems seems to be standard fare these days. I am wondering why, when Contribute purports to the job for a fraction of the cost. Are people ignorant of Contribute, or does it have shortcomings that make these proprietary systems worth the cost? Can ...

  1. #1

    Default Comparison with Custom CMS

    I am a consultant for a small hospital that is about to completely redesign its
    web site. We have collected preliminary estimates from a number of vendors, a
    couple of whom are trying to sell us a proprietary content management system
    for site upkeep.

    I know from experience with other firms that purchasing licenses to these
    proprietary systems seems to be standard fare these days. I am wondering why,
    when Contribute purports to the job for a fraction of the cost.

    Are people ignorant of Contribute, or does it have shortcomings that make
    these proprietary systems worth the cost?

    Can any one out there comment on this?

    JacquieMC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Comparison with Custom CMS

    Hi Jacquie,

    You can use Contribute for basic web page editing to update content, images
    and rich media. You can have much better control over web pages designed based
    on DWTs. You can mark editable regions and the content contributor can only
    modify the editable content. Adobe? Contribute? CS4 software enables users to
    collaboratively author, review, and publish web content while maintaining site
    integrity ? without learning HTML.

    Adobe? Contribute? Publishing Server software is a server application that
    provides central administration and tracking of user access and publishing
    activities on the website. CPS provides central management of site connections
    and access permissions, while server-based logging and e-mail notifications
    provide a deeper view into publishing activities.

    You can download trial version of Contribute CS4 from
    http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute.

    Ramesh Gopalakrishna

    Ramesh Guest

  3. #3

    JacquieMC:

    I work at a medium size university (11,000) students and a decision was made
    (over my objections) to purchase a fully loaded CMS with all the bells and
    whistles. The logic went something like, "Well, this product can do all of
    these things, it must be really good. Contribute is too inexpensive, it can't
    possibly be robust enough to handle a large site like ours." As with many
    things, we didn't really need all of the bells and whistles and those making
    the decision didn't understand that when you use Contribute you don't care how
    big the rest of the site is, you just need access to your own little corner of
    it.

    Well, long story short, the CMS was a bust, we started buying Contribute over
    a year ago and I personally manage over 75 users. Each has access to his/her
    own space and we use Cold Fusion (although you could also use Dreamweaver
    templates) to provide standard navigation and design for the entire site.

    There are probably situations out there where a big CMS is necessary but for a
    small hospital I would have no qualms at all about using Contribute. I hope
    this helps.

    rdk8487 Guest