Professional Web Applications Themes

Compatibility between CS3 and earlier versions? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

As the web developer I have Contribute version 3, but some of my new clients will be buying the latest Contribute CS3 to update their site pages. Can I still set up their roles and editing rights for a site and create a connection key to send to them that will work for them in Contribute CS3 without difficulty? And can either of us still edit the site pages, regardless of the fact that we are each using different versions of Contribute? In conclusion, are there any backward compatibility issues I should be aware of between the newer version and ...

  1. #1

    Default Compatibility between CS3 and earlier versions?

    As the web developer I have Contribute version 3, but some of my new clients
    will be buying the latest Contribute CS3 to update their site pages. Can I
    still set up their roles and editing rights for a site and create a
    connection key to send to them that will work for them in Contribute CS3
    without difficulty? And can either of us still edit the site pages,
    regardless of the fact that we are each using different versions of
    Contribute?

    In conclusion, are there any backward compatibility issues I should be aware
    of between the newer version and older versions of CS3 when administering,
    and connecting to, the same website?

    Thanks in advance.

    (Please reply to forum. E-mail address is bogus to prevent spam)

    Gareth Guest

  2. #2

    I had the same problem when C4 arrived and I could'nt purchase C3 for my
    clients.

    The key is to use Transitional Mode (adminstrator settings, compatibility),
    here's wat the HELP says:

    --------------------------
    Enabling compatibility with older versions of Contribute
    Contribute 4 offers administrators two compatibility options--one that allows
    users with earlier versions to work on the website, and one that does not:

    Transition Mode
    In this mode, users of earlier versions of Contribute can continue working on
    the website, along with Contribute 4 users. This lets you evaluate the new
    version and set up new roles and permissions without disrupting users with
    earlier versions of Contribute.

    Compatibility Mode
    In this mode, all users must use Contribute 4. Users with earlier versions
    cannot work on the website.

    Contribute 4 starts in Transition mode by default when you migrate from
    Contribute 3. Use this mode temporarily; when you?re ready, transition all
    users to Contribute 4 and enable Compatibility Mode.

    To enable Compatibility Mode:
    In Contribute 4, select Edit > Administer Websites, and then select a website.
    The Administer Website dialog box appears.

    Select Compatibility from the category list on the left.
    The Compatibility options appear in the Administer Website dialog box.

    Select Compatibility, and then click Close.
    After you enable Compatibility Mode, all users connected to the website must
    use Contribute 4.

    ------------------------

    It's really better to upgrade yourself to the newest version, so you know what
    extra options your clients have and you can support them. I managed to get both
    C3 en C4(I purchased the upgrade) running on my PC, so maybe that's also an
    option.

    grtz. Hayo

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    Does this go for users of DW8 as well?

    I am running DW8 and need to deploy Contribute at a client's site but I cannot
    buy previous versions of Contribute. I'm hoping the latest version is
    compatible otherwise I will seriously have to look at alternatives to DW
    because I simply cannot afford to keep upgrading every 12-18 months.

    Has anyone else got experience of this?

    Any help would be gratefully received.

    dorwardmedia Guest