Professional Web Applications Themes

Compile kernel - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I want to start compiling my own kernels because I am rolling my on linux system for my server. When you configure the kernel hardware setting how can you determine want you need for a given motherboard. What I want to do is to have exactly what I need in the kernel and no more? if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Compile kernel

    I want to start compiling my own kernels because I am rolling my on linux
    system for my server. When you configure the kernel hardware setting how
    can you determine want you need for a given motherboard. What I want to do
    is to have exactly what I need in the kernel and no more?

    if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful

    Thanks
    Baho Utot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compile kernel

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > I want to start compiling my own kernels because I am rolling my on linux
    > system for my server. When you configure the kernel hardware setting how
    > can you determine want you need for a given motherboard. What I want to do
    > is to have exactly what I need in the kernel and no more?
    >
    > if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful
    >
    > Thanks
    Just Don't Bother. Really. Unless you can predict in advance all the
    hardware you *might* put on the motherboard, don't turn things for grits
    and shins. You never know what untested combinations of settings might
    disable a bit of code that you need after all.

    I've been through all sorts of conniptions trying to convince
    professional people entranced by the idea of "lean" kernels not to
    overshrink their kernels, then all sorts of Q/A issues when they bought
    One New Piece Of Hardware(tm) and expected me to make it work without
    rolling a new kernel and putting it through *another* six months of Q/A,
    with a source control package that they had never bothered to lock down
    revision numbers for.

    Drove me *ape*....

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  3. #3

    It might be too long to describe all the bare-bones elements you need for a
    linux kernel.

    However I'll try.

    Code maturity: experimental=yes
    Loadable modules: all yes
    Processor: your CPU type, add SMP if you have multiple CPUs
    General: net, pci, (hotplug)
    Block devices: floppy, loop, ram, initrd
    Mutli-device: (if you need)
    Net: packet, unix, tcp/ip, inet
    Telephony: (if you need)
    IDE/ATA: block, ide disk, floppy, cdrom, dma
    SCSI: (if you have SCSI HD): scsi, scsi gereric, scsi disk, + low-level
    driver for your controller
    Network device: dummy, + your card driver
    Character: virtual terminal. console, serial, unix98 PTY
    Filesystems: proc, devPTS, shm, ext2, ext3+jbd, (+iso9660,ms-dos,vfat)
    Network Filesystems: NFS, SMB if you need
    Console: vga, video select, mda
    Frame-buffer: dummy console, vesa, vga16, + your card driver
    USB: UHCI
    Kernel hacking: magic sysRQ

    Alternatively, I have configs for 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 kernels that include all
    the basics you need and nothing more - they are somewhat compatible with
    2.4.19/21 kernels, so I can send them to you and you'll have a good point
    to start from.

    Good luck!

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > I want to start compiling my own kernels because I am rolling my on linux
    > system for my server. When you configure the kernel hardware setting how
    > can you determine want you need for a given motherboard. What I want to
    > do is to have exactly what I need in the kernel and no more?
    >
    > if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful
    >
    > Thanks
    Artemio Guest

  4. #4

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > I want to start compiling my own kernels because I am rolling my on linux
    > system for my server. When you configure the kernel hardware setting how
    > can you determine want you need for a given motherboard. What I want to
    > do is to have exactly what I need in the kernel and no more?
    .... get the machine's specs and select the modules you require.
    sometimes this can be a guessing game.

    Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer, # Black holes result
    skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux", # when God divides the
    "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed" # universe by zero

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    Artemio wrote:

    > It might be too long to describe all the bare-bones elements you need for
    > a linux kernel.
    >
    > Alternatively, I have configs for 2.4.18 and 2.4.20 kernels that include
    > all the basics you need and nothing more - they are somewhat compatible
    > with 2.4.19/21 kernels, so I can send them to you and you'll have a good
    > point to start from.
    >

    > Good luck!

    Ok, my email is [email]baho-utotcolumbus.rr.com[/email]
    Baho Utot Guest

  6. #6

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >

    >>Baho Utot wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want to start compiling my own kernels because I am rolling my on linux
    >>>system for my server. When you configure the kernel hardware setting how
    >>>can you determine want you need for a given motherboard. What I want to
    >>>do is to have exactly what I need in the kernel and no more?
    >>>
    >>>if someone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>
    >>Just Don't Bother. Really. Unless you can predict in advance all the
    >>hardware you *might* put on the motherboard, don't turn things for grits
    >>and shins. You never know what untested combinations of settings might
    >>disable a bit of code that you need after all.
    >

    > I can predict in advance all the hardware I am going to use. This is for a
    > headless server. It will have 2 nics and 2 harddrives, nothing else.
    OK. Are you *sure* you won't need to swap out hard drives, controllers,
    use USB devices, new file systems or anything else?
    >>I've been through all sorts of conniptions trying to convince
    >>professional people entranced by the idea of "lean" kernels not to
    >>overshrink their kernels, then all sorts of Q/A issues when they bought
    >>One New Piece Of Hardware(tm) and expected me to make it work without
    >>rolling a new kernel and putting it through *another* six months of Q/A,
    >>with a source control package that they had never bothered to lock down
    >>revision numbers for.
    >>
    >>Drove me *ape*....
    >

    > Well that's what I am looking for, A lean and mean kernel for a machine that
    > the hardware will _NEVER_ change. I know it will not change because I run
    > my servers till they drop. My first server is Redhat 4.2 still going strong
    > and no hardware chages at all, hehe it just a web server and no more.
    Cool. Have fun with it, although I suspect your time would be better
    spent on stripping and securing the services, not the kernel.

    And I sympathize with antique hardware support. Ask about the news
    server I left running on a Sparc IPC at a former job doing NNTP for 500
    people....

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  7. #7

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> I can predict in advance all the hardware I am going to use. This is for
    >> headless server. It will have 2 nics and 2 harddrives, nothing else.
    >
    > OK. Are you *sure* you won't need to swap out hard drives, controllers,
    > use USB devices, new file systems or anything else?

    Yes quite sure, It will be setup once and only once. Then I run it till it
    drops.

    >> Well that's what I am looking for, A lean and mean kernel for a machine
    >> that
    >> the hardware will _NEVER_ change. I know it will not change because I
    >> run my servers till they drop. My first server is Redhat 4.2 still going
    >> strong
    >> and no hardware chages at all, hehe it just a web server and no more.
    >
    > Cool. Have fun with it, although I suspect your time would be better
    > spent on stripping and securing the services, not the kernel.
    Oh, I am doing that as well, I already have that part completed. That's
    why I am looking to do the kernel now.

    > And I sympathize with antique hardware support. Ask about the news
    > server I left running on a Sparc IPC at a former job doing NNTP for 500
    > people....
    Ok, lets hear it for the Sparc.

    Baho Utot Guest