Professional Web Applications Themes

Compile kernel for Fedora - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have upgraded the kernel that comes with the "stock" Fedora core by using up2date. When I attempt to install vmware it complains that the conpiler used to compile the kernel is different from the one I have on the machine. I would like to compile the same kernel as the up2date one but using the compiler on my system. Where can I find the .config file for which was used for the "up2date installed kernel". I don't want to up (or break anything) my system as the precompiled kernel installed by up2date works well with my system. I just ...

  1. #1

    Default Compile kernel for Fedora

    I have upgraded the kernel that comes with the "stock" Fedora core by using
    up2date. When I attempt to install vmware it complains that the conpiler
    used to compile the kernel is different from the one I have on the machine.

    I would like to compile the same kernel as the up2date one but using the
    compiler on my system. Where can I find the .config file for which was
    used for the "up2date installed kernel". I don't want to up (or break
    anything) my system as the precompiled kernel installed by up2date works
    well with my system. I just need to recompile the exact same one.

    Baho Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compile kernel for Fedora

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:01:01 +0000, Baho Utot typed:

    No you don't, you need is the kernel-source RPM installed that matches
    your current kernel. Use the command from either the console or xterm
    session 'uname-r' to figure this out. then go to one of the fedora
    download sites and download the kernel-source-'uname-r'.i386.rpm file.
    Then install it as root from the console or xterm session by typing
    something like; rpm -Uvh kernel-source*.rpm

    You also you need to visit; http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/ and download
    vmware-any-any-update43.tar.gz, then unpack it and run it to get vmware
    working.

    Anytime you update the kernel take the time to also download and install
    the new kernel-source RPM that matches the updated kernel and re-run the
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl (as root) after booting to the new kernel.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest

  3. #3

    Lenard wrote:

    > No you don't, you need is the kernel-source RPM installed that matches
    > your current kernel. Use the command from either the console or xterm
    > session 'uname-r' to figure this out. then go to one of the fedora
    > download sites and download the kernel-source-'uname-r'.i386.rpm file.
    > Then install it as root from the console or xterm session by typing
    > something like; rpm -Uvh kernel-source*.rpm[/ref]

    Already done that, I always have up2date fetch the source as well.

    Just fetched it, many thanks on this one.

    This I already knew.
    Baho Guest

  4. #4

    Lenard wrote:

    > No you don't, you need is the kernel-source RPM installed that matches
    > your current kernel. Use the command from either the console or xterm
    > session 'uname-r' to figure this out. then go to one of the fedora
    > download sites and download the kernel-source-'uname-r'.i386.rpm file.
    > Then install it as root from the console or xterm session by typing
    > something like; rpm -Uvh kernel-source*.rpm
    >
    > You also you need to visit; http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/ and download
    > vmware-any-any-update43.tar.gz, then unpack it and run it to get vmware
    > working.
    >
    > Anytime you update the kernel take the time to also download and install
    > the new kernel-source RPM that matches the updated kernel and re-run the
    > /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl (as root) after booting to the new kernel.
    >
    >[/ref]

    ack
    It still gives me this:
    Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "3.2.3", while you are trying to
    use
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.2". This configuration is not recommended and
    VMware
    Workstation may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same
    compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with
    compiler
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "3.3.2" anyway? [no]

    I always say yes to it anyway.
    Baho Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:01:02 +0000, Baho Utot typed:

    So, re-build the current kernel, it's not hard. I'll give you a hint, the
    current kernel config file is in the /boot directory the filename looks
    like config-'uname-r'. That way it will be built with gcc-3.3.2 and the
    kernel will have almost same name kernel-<version_number>custom

    Just follow the directions here;
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html

    Just use the 'Load Configuration from File' button and type in the config
    file you already have (/boot/config-'uname -r').

  6. #6

    Lenard wrote:

    > So, re-build the current kernel, it's not hard. I'll give you a hint, the
    > current kernel config file is in the /boot directory the filename looks
    > like config-'uname-r'. That way it will be built with gcc-3.3.2 and the
    > kernel will have almost same name kernel-<version_number>custom
    >
    > Just follow the directions here;
    >[/ref]
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html

    Ok thanks
    Baho Guest

  7. #7

    "Lenard" <0.0.1> wrote in message
    news:0.0.1... [/ref]
    to [/ref]
    and

    > So, re-build the current kernel, it's not hard. I'll give you a hint, the
    > current kernel config file is in the /boot directory the filename looks
    > like config-'uname-r'. That way it will be built with gcc-3.3.2 and the
    > kernel will have almost same name kernel-<version_number>custom
    >
    > Just follow the directions here;
    >[/ref]
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html

    What is this "latest" kernel you have installed? Is it actually a Fedora
    kernel, is is it that 2.6.x kernel from arjanv at RedHat?

    Nico Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 00:11:02 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia typed:

    If your asking me, I don't use any Red Hat kernels from arjanv, Red Hat or
    Fedora. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.0-mjb2 modified with the mremap
    patch with out any problems using VMwareWorkstation-3.2.0-2230.

  9. #9

    "Lenard" <0.0.1> wrote in message

    > If your asking me, I don't use any Red Hat kernels from arjanv, Red Hat or
    > Fedora. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.0-mjb2 modified with the mremap
    > patch with out any problems using VMwareWorkstation-3.2.0-2230.[/ref]

    Ah-hah. So instead of a tested kernel with the RPM pre- and
    post-installation scripts that add things to lilo.conf or grub.conf as
    appropriate, you're volunteering to test the latest greatest, with all the

    Where *exactly* did you pull this kernel from? It's certainly not from one
    of the more standard up2date download sites.

    And please note, these problems are exactly what you get when you use beta
    binaries and expect it to integrate with other tools which are very, very
    sensitive to software versions (namely the kernel driver aspects of VMware).
    It takes some work and experience to learn all the tricks: I'd actually urge
    you to rebuild your kernels from SRPM, if possible, to get all the compiler
    dependencies just right.

    Nico Guest

  10. #10

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:36:09 -0500, "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
    <net> wrote:

    >> If your asking me, I don't use any Red Hat kernels from arjanv, Red Hat or
    >> Fedora. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.0-mjb2 modified with the mremap
    >> patch with out any problems using VMwareWorkstation-3.2.0-2230.[/ref]
    >
    >Ah-hah. So instead of a tested kernel with the RPM pre- and
    >post-installation scripts that add things to lilo.conf or grub.conf as
    >appropriate, you're volunteering to test the latest greatest, with all the
    >
    >Where *exactly* did you pull this kernel from? It's certainly not from one
    >of the more standard up2date download sites.
    >
    >And please note, these problems are exactly what you get when you use beta
    >binaries and expect it to integrate with other tools which are very, very
    >sensitive to software versions (namely the kernel driver aspects of VMware).
    >It takes some work and experience to learn all the tricks: I'd actually urge
    >you to rebuild your kernels from SRPM, if possible, to get all the compiler
    >dependencies just right.
    >[/ref]

    OK, so have any of you actually _tried_ to rebuild the kernel from the
    stock Fedora installation? i needed to patch it to support the
    ethernet chip on my m/board, and after 4 hours gave up and installed a
    clean 2.4.24 kernel from www.kernel.org, patching that instead, and
    copying the fedora default /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl to <build
    hmoe>/.config. Instant success.

    2.4.22 will _not_ compile with 3.3.2! You're completely stuffed if you
    need to build your own kernel without a 'proper' kernel source. Maybe
    this is the one installed with up2date, I don't know. Fedora works
    fine with the 2.4.24 kernel, but then, there's no reason why it
    shouldn't.

    I'm in the process of building 2.6.1. That's built cleanly, too. I
    would urge you to build your kernels from scratch, not srpms... that
    way you get a feel for everything that's going on (:

    $0.02

    Steve
    Steve Guest

  11. #11

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:36:09 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia typed:

    >> If your asking me, I don't use any Red Hat kernels from arjanv, Red Hat
    >> or Fedora. I'm currently running kernel 2.6.0-mjb2 modified with the
    >> mremap patch with out any problems using VMwareWorkstation-3.2.0-2230.[/ref]
    >
    > Ah-hah. So instead of a tested kernel with the RPM pre- and
    > post-installation scripts that add things to lilo.conf or grub.conf as
    > appropriate, you're volunteering to test the latest greatest, with all the[/ref]

    I quit using the pre-compiled Red Hat/Fedora kernels and source RPM's a
    long time ago. These kernels and sources would not support my PCMCIA
    interface and would not correctly enable ACPI on my laptop. For most
    people the Red Hat/Fedora kernels and sources work just fine, but not
    in the case of my laptop (Acer TravelMate 280).

    I don't use up2date. What does a 'more standard up2date download site'
    mean?

    I got the kernel source and mremap patch from kernel.org and the -mjb2
    patches from; http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mbligh/

    I'm not having any problems, with VMware it runs just fine. Your confusing
    me with the OP.

  12. #12

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
     [/ref]
    > to [/ref]
    > and
    >>
    >> So, re-build the current kernel, it's not hard. I'll give you a hint,
    >> the current kernel config file is in the /boot directory the filename
    >> looks like config-'uname-r'. That way it will be built with gcc-3.3.2 and
    >> the kernel will have almost same name kernel-<version_number>custom
    >>
    >> Just follow the directions here;
    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-custom-kernel.html

    > What is this "latest" kernel you have installed? Is it actually a Fedora
    > kernel, is is it that 2.6.x kernel from arjanv at RedHat?[/ref]

    Yes, from the up2date site.
    Baho Guest

  13. #13

    Steve Holdoway wrote:

    >>Ah-hah. So instead of a tested kernel with the RPM pre- and
    >>post-installation scripts that add things to lilo.conf or grub.conf as
    >>appropriate, you're volunteering to test the latest greatest, with all the
    >>
    >>Where *exactly* did you pull this kernel from? It's certainly not from one
    >>of the more standard up2date download sites.
    >>
    >>And please note, these problems are exactly what you get when you use beta
    >>binaries and expect it to integrate with other tools which are very, very
    >>sensitive to software versions (namely the kernel driver aspects of
    >>VMware). It takes some work and experience to learn all the tricks: I'd
    >>actually urge you to rebuild your kernels from SRPM, if possible, to get
    >>all the compiler dependencies just right.
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > OK, so have any of you actually _tried_ to rebuild the kernel from the
    > stock Fedora installation? i needed to patch it to support the
    > ethernet chip on my m/board, and after 4 hours gave up and installed a
    > clean 2.4.24 kernel from www.kernel.org, patching that instead, and
    > copying the fedora default /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl to <build
    > hmoe>/.config. Instant success.
    >
    > 2.4.22 will _not_ compile with 3.3.2! You're completely stuffed if you
    > need to build your own kernel without a 'proper' kernel source. Maybe
    > this is the one installed with up2date, I don't know. Fedora works
    > fine with the 2.4.24 kernel, but then, there's no reason why it
    > shouldn't.
    >
    > I'm in the process of building 2.6.1. That's built cleanly, too. I
    > would urge you to build your kernels from scratch, not srpms... that
    > way you get a feel for everything that's going on (:
    >
    > $0.02
    >
    > Steve[/ref]

    Ok if I follow you, I pull the kernel from www.kernel.org and then copy the
    /boot/config-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl to the source directory.

    FWIW it was a kernel from Fedora core downloaded and installed by up2date.

    One more thing, why can't you build 2.4.44 with gcc 3.3.2? This is just for
    informational purposes.

    Baho Guest