Professional Web Applications Themes

Compiling stored procedures - IBM DB2

Hi! We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server. We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake. Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures up? Thanks for any help. Best regards, Kovi...

  1. #1

    Default Compiling stored procedures

    Hi!

    We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server.

    We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a
    simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command
    Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake.

    Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any
    doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures up?

    Thanks for any help.

    Best regards,
    Kovi
    Gregor Kovač Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Compiling stored procedures

    If you are using SQL Stored Procs, you need a C Compiler on at least one
    machine with each os level/db2level. You can move the executables to other
    machines with the same os level/db2level. See the Application Building Guide.

    Larry Edelstein

    Gregor Kovač wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server.
    >
    > We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a
    > simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command
    > Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake.
    >
    > Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any
    > doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures up?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Kovi
    Larry Edelstein Guest

  3. #3

    "Gregor Kovač" <gregor.kovacmikropis.si> a écrit dans le message de
    > Hi!
    >
    > We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server.
    >
    > We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a
    > simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command
    > Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake.
    >
    > Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any
    > doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures
    up?

    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Kovi
    Hi Kovi,

    Yes you have to use a C compiler, that is Microsoft Visual C++.

    But you also might try gcc; you can have a look to
    [url]http://www7b.software.ibm.com/dmdd/library/techarticle/0306haungs/0306haungs.html[/url]
    that describes how to use GCC (at least for stored procs, not the samples
    ....)

    Cheers,

    Jean-Marc

    Jean-Marc Blaise Guest

  4. #4

    Gregor Kovac( wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server.
    >
    > We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a
    > simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command
    > Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake.
    >
    > Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any
    > doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures up?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Kovi
    Yes, you will need a C compiler. It's doented in detail in the
    application build guide.

    No Body Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Larry,

    I still consider this is a workaround (put routine/get routine). Just apply
    a fixpack on dev or integration, and you might have to wait before applying
    it to prod. Does this mean you should stop deploying stored procs ?

    Can we expect GNU be fully supported by IBM ?

    Regards,

    Jean-Marc

    "Larry Edelstein" <lsedelsus.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > If you are using SQL Stored Procs, you need a C Compiler on at least one
    > machine with each os level/db2level. You can move the executables to other
    > machines with the same os level/db2level. See the Application Building
    Guide.

    > Larry Edelstein
    >
    > Gregor Kovač wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server.
    > >
    > > We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a
    > > simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command
    > > Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake.
    > >
    > > Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any
    > > doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures
    up?

    > > Thanks for any help.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Kovi

    Jean-Marc Blaise Guest

  6. #6

    You're right - we are working to remove the requirement for a compiler.

    Apologies if it's been cited before, but an article showing you how to
    use GCC is here:

    [url]http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dmdd/library/techarticle/0306haungs/0306haungs.html[/url]

    Jean-Marc Blaise wrote:
    > Hi Larry,
    >
    > I still consider this is a workaround (put routine/get routine). Just apply
    > a fixpack on dev or integration, and you might have to wait before applying
    > it to prod. Does this mean you should stop deploying stored procs ?
    >
    > Can we expect GNU be fully supported by IBM ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Jean-Marc
    >
    > "Larry Edelstein" <lsedelsus.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >
    >>If you are using SQL Stored Procs, you need a C Compiler on at least one
    >>machine with each os level/db2level. You can move the executables to other
    >>machines with the same os level/db2level. See the Application Building
    >
    > Guide.
    >
    >>Larry Edelstein
    >>
    >>Gregor Kovač wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi!
    >>>
    >>>We are using DB2 8.1 with FixPack 3 on Windows 2000 Server.
    >>>
    >>>We want to use stored procedures with our database, but when creating a
    >>>simple stored procedure in a file and running that file through Command
    >>>Line Processor we get an error about not being able to find nmake.
    >>>
    >>>Does this mean we also have to have a C compiler ? Is there any
    >>>doentation how to set the environment for creating stored procedures
    >
    > up?
    >
    >>>Thanks for any help.
    >>>
    >>>Best regards,
    >>> Kovi

    Blair Adamache Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Blair,

    The article you refer for GCC is only for compiling stored procs ... and you
    cannot even debug them with the Dev Center.
    I have also tried to compile the samples with this GCC, seems to compile,
    but most of the exe abort on Windows.

    Can we expect a full support of GCC one day ?

    Regards,

    Jean-Marc

    "Blair Adamache" <badamache2muchspam.> a écrit dans le message de
    > You're right - we are working to remove the requirement for a compiler.
    >
    > Apologies if it's been cited before, but an article showing you how to
    > use GCC is here:

    [url]http://www7b.boulder.ibm.com/dmdd/library/techarticle/0306haungs/0306haungs.html[/url]

    > Jean-Marc Blaise wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Larry,
    > >
    > > I still consider this is a workaround (put routine/get routine). Just
    apply
    > > a fixpack on dev or integration, and you might have to wait before
    applying
    > > it to prod. Does this mean you should stop deploying stored procs ?
    > >
    > > Can we expect GNU be fully supported by IBM ?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Jean-Marc
    > >
    > > "Larry Edelstein" <lsedelsus.ibm.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >
    > >>If you are using SQL Stored Procs, you need a C Compiler on at least one
    > >>machine with each os level/db2level. You can move the executables to
    other
    > >>machines with the same os level/db2level. See the Application Building
    > >
    > > Guide.
    > >
    > >>Larry Edelstein

    > > up?

    Jean-Marc Blaise Guest

  8. #8

    I expect we'll remove the need for a C compiler for SQL stored
    procedures before we support GCC.

    Blair Adamache Guest