Professional Web Applications Themes

Completely lost job. Temp file didntrestore after ID Crash.... - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I read different opinions expressed in the forum regarding font management and the necessity of font management tools. While I do not have thousands of fonts I do use Suitcase and it seems to work fine for me. Chris when I moved to OSX last year I found that there was some very good advice, including a pdf called Font Best Practice in OSX, which is very useful in getting ones head around the font issue. If I recall correctly that pdf was downloadable from the Extensis site. If you cannot find it I probably have it here somewhere and ...

Default Re: Completely lost job. Temp file didntrestore after ID Crash....

I read different opinions expressed in the forum regarding font management and the necessity of font management tools. While I do not have thousands of fonts I do use Suitcase and it seems to work fine for me. Chris when I moved to OSX last year I found that there was some very good advice, including a pdf called Font Best Practice in OSX, which is very useful in getting ones head around the font issue. If I recall correctly that pdf was downloadable from the Extensis site. If you cannot find it I probably have it here somewhere and could send it to you.

I upgraded to 4.0.4 last night, so lets see what today brings. Richard what are you suggesting with these .plist files? Deletion? I also downloaded for evaluation purposes a utility called tail which I have run overnight. It claims to perform all kinds of useful 'household' tasks.
    brendan_lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

Addendum to Richard I have never looked at font caches. I see on another topic discusssion that you heartily recommended cleaning caches. How do I empty a cache, just dump the file in trash or something more esoteric?
    brendan_lyons@adobeforums.com Guest

Chris, I seem to remember you at one time (quite some time ago) bragging about how many fonts you use to have open at one at the same time and also how many applications and multiple doents at the same time - or was that somebody else?

When it comes to problem with doents, fonts - and sometimes images - are the usual suspects. A damaged font, duplicate font, a freeware font of inferior quality. Those things are what you need to look for in the first place. Granted, it can be timeconsuming finding the suspect but there are tools. One is Font Doctor (comes with Suitcase if you buy a new Suitcase unless they have changed that lately - haven't checked for a while). Another one is Font Book which comes with OS X 10.4.x Tiger itself which has builtin features for finding damaged fonts and is quite good at it. When a damaged font is found, delete it and reinstall from original media and check again.

As for a damaged databsae of an ID doent that is as bad as a damaged databse for a PageMaker doent used to be. Something in the doent itself has broke and usually cannot be fixed. Doents that give such a message are usually lost for ever and unfixable. That it happens usually depends on a doent that has been edit over and over and over again and saved as in a new version and edited again over and over and over again. At some point the database in the doucment that keeps track of the changes in the doent gave up and all got mixed up. Also often happens to doents that have been converted back and forth and back again between different versions of the applications and edited over and over again and again.

So how do you avoid that?
    1) Get your fonts in order and check for damaged fonts, duplicate fonts and inferior quality fonts and get rid of those.
    2) minimize the number of fonts active at the same time.
    3) Use templates with master pages for recurring layouts isntead of save as and reuse of older doents.
    4) Do harddiskmaiantenance and cachec maintenance regularly.
    5) Always backup jobs to another disk or to a CD or DVD. Same with versions of jobs.

Just to start with.
    Nini Tjäder Guest

Just to start with.

Another point might be to finally answer Chris' question from post #40 and explain about dfnts. This has nothing to do with whether Chris might »deserve« an answer or not - let's not forget this is a forum, and even with the possible risc that a good dfnt explanation might be wasted on Chris (which I do not expect at all), it could very well be valuable for many others here though.

Klaus
    Klaus_Scharfenstein@adobeforums.com Guest

Ok, copied from my own site and the page about font handling/management in OSX at < <http://www.ninisworld.com/thecorner/tutorials/osxfonts.html>>

"Mac OS X also supports the Mac OS X specific font-format .dfont which is not really a different format or technology but a variation of the TrueType suitcase format. dfonts can only be used in Mac OS X and should not be used in publishing unless included into a pdf. A non-Mac OS X machine cannot read and use Mac OS X own dfonts unless they are converted into a format that they understand. (This can be done, but isn't really something that can be recommended as a regular practise)."

Also see the links and downlaodable pdfs at the bottom of my page.
    Nini Tjäder Guest

Nini, I think the sum of your two last messages here is a little gem, deserving to be made a sticky, or go to the FAQs. Any host/moderator agreeing with me?
    Claudio_González@adobeforums.com Guest

I believe my last message had some uh, magic either, no? ;-)

I'll grant you that it led to Nini's second. Which, in the context of this topic, was a necessary complement to her first.

Oh come on - I'm just kidding.

[I feel that we non-english-mother-tongue&posting-at-utmost-strange-PSTs guys should try to bring in some sense of old world humor from time to time. Tends to mix quite nicely with the american one.]

Klaus

the american one.

What American one? We have no sense of humor here...
    Peter_Truskier@adobeforums.com Guest

Klaus, so was I; only that more often that not my humour tends to be too subtle...

Peter, I disagree, although by the examples posted in these forums, it would seem that black humour is much more abundant than other kinds. :-)

What about Green and Red humor?
    by_Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

We have no sense of humor here...

Yes, that's the one I mean!

Quite honest - having a forum like this and - even more - having had that writer named Joseph Heller won't let you get away with pretending to be bare of humor.

Humor styles seem to be very regional.
    I came to America from Australia 10 years ago. Australian humor can be irreverent and very brutal. I quickly learned that here, at least in Los Angeles, Americans can be very sensitive and get upset quickly if you engage them with Australian style humor.
    Wayne Guy Guest

[We have to blame this weekend situation for going on to be that OTish, I'd say ...]

I quickly learned that here, at least in Los Angeles, Americans can be
    very sensitive

Yes, I can confirm that from my visits to California. But it is only too understandable I would think. I believe that Americans in the west (and Canadians over there too) just love to be the perfect host to the visitor, even more if that visitor came such a long way, like from Australia in your case or from Germany in mine. They tend to do nearly everything they possibly can to make their guests feel comfortable and easy.

In that situation, for the guest to present some fine tuned through years & normally fail save piece of good old European or Australian pit-dark black humor - just in order to give something back and to re-assure your host about how comfortable and easy you actually feel - could very well result in some sort of shock on the host's side, making him wonder in sheer bewilderness: How in the world could my guest even think of such an awful, awful matter while being in my hospitality? Can he possibly feel any comfortable and easy at all if terrible things like that are troubling his mind?

So we aliens have to learn over there to think twice before telling that good one about the doctor having good news and bad news for the patient too early if we want to keep our hosts in a relaxed mood, while our hosts normally learn after some days that applying black humor of that sort is our way of showing the people we like about how comfortable and at ease we are with them ... :-)

We aliens also quickly learn that there are certain subjects that are definite no-nos to joke about with Americans (I will not give any examples, you know which they are). I try to think even three times or more sometimes or simply shut up when in doubt that something can be said or not. Lists and forums are particularly sensitive and dangerous in that respect is my experience.
    Nini Tjäder Guest

... that there are certain subjects that are definite no-nos to joke about
    with Americans

That could be true. But nevertheless, they usually grant you a lot of space and time to do all your beginner's mistakes there long before they might get even a bit annoyed (if ever). They even generously tolerate inappropriate relapses of those who should know better by then - up to a certain amount. Only if you give the strong impression of deliberately and maliciously coming up with those (notorious by now) no-no issues again is when your host may start thinking about that old rifle behind the closet again ... ;-)

You mean… we're not… we're not……………perfect? How can you even suggest such a thing. Let's see that green card, buddy. ;-)
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

Well, no, you're not. It shouldn't be an old rifle but rather a deadly and soundless working high-tech crossbow behind that closet - to make it perfect in my eyes. »That bloody old blasphemous joke about Jesus in the rest room again, man?! Right in front of the kids and my mother-in-law?! Let's meet outside in the garden - you'll get to know my crossbow now, you'll get to know it now!« ;-)

Only the Welsh are perfect Richard. B)
    by_Buko@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast