Professional Web Applications Themes

Component for AC/DC on PB 5300 - Mac Portable

I'm having a technician repair a 5300 for me - and he says the component Apple used (even on the REA versions) for the AC/DC adapter on the motherboard really isn't worth replacing with one of its kind, as it will grow defient in 3-6 months according to him. He has been looking for a suitable component in different stores but can't find one. Now I would like to hear if anyone knows where to buy the right replacement component? - or a hint how I find out? Thanx in advance... esben...

  1. #1

    Default Component for AC/DC on PB 5300

    I'm having a technician repair a 5300 for me - and he says the component
    Apple used (even on the REA versions) for the AC/DC adapter on the
    motherboard really isn't worth replacing with one of its kind, as it
    will grow defient in 3-6 months according to him. He has been looking
    for a suitable component in different stores but can't find one.

    Now I would like to hear if anyone knows where to buy the right
    replacement component? - or a hint how I find out?

    Thanx in advance...

    esben
    Esben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Component for AC/DC on PB 5300

    Esben <eshanospamget2net.dk> wrote:
    > I'm having a technician repair a 5300 for me - and he says the component
    > Apple used (even on the REA versions) for the AC/DC adapter on the
    > motherboard really isn't worth replacing with one of its kind, as it
    > will grow defient in 3-6 months according to him. He has been looking
    > for a suitable component in different stores but can't find one.
    >
    > Now I would like to hear if anyone knows where to buy the right
    > replacement component? - or a hint how I find out?
    Here's what I did:
    <http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/5300power.html>

    I've also though of (but not tried) using the original power connector
    (pc) but fabricating a metal bracket which would loop over the top of
    the pc. Soldering that loop to the logic board on either side would
    hold the pc securely in place. The idea is the orig. pc is held in
    place only with its connector tabs, where a stronger mechanical 'strap'
    would help keep it from flexing and breaking again.

    If you need it, an original-style connector is available from such
    outfits as digikey.com or mouser.com. You'd have to measure the orig.
    pc socket's connector ID/OD and its PCB footprint to choose the correct
    item.

    hth,

    Dan K
    Dan K Guest

  3. #3

    then Lewin A.R.W. Edwards <larwelarwe.com> wrote:
    > FWIW that surface-mount component is an inductor, not a fuse; it's
    > there to suppress noise.
    Thanks! I figured it wasn't a fuse but my limited knowledge of
    electronics left me clueless. :-)

    I also wrote:
    > > I've also though of (but not tried) using the original power connector
    > > (pc) but fabricating a metal bracket which would loop over the top of
    > > the pc. Soldering that loop to the logic board on either side would
    and Lewin wrote:
    > You'll find it quite difficult to get it tight enough to make a
    > difference. I would suggest using a hard-curing two-part epoxy resin
    > to pot the area and fix the connector in place.
    >
    > Note that it is usual for there to be some play between the metal
    > parts and the plastic parts of these connectors; meaning that even if
    > you successfully freeze the body of the connector w.r.t the PCB,
    > inserting and removing the power plug will still wiggle the metal
    > parts of the connector and put stress on the solder joints. Hopefully,
    > less stress though!
    Your points are good. I've used such an epoxy for this repair though it
    was in a 4-sale 'Book and I don't know how well the repair held. It was
    pretty sturdy however, so I reckon better than an REA-repair. :-)

    I figured it wouldn't be worth futzing around with the original POS
    connector. To-date I've done two replacements using Duo-style
    connectors and so far they're holding up quite nicely. I've got more
    5300s I'd similarly repair if only I had more available Duo-style
    connectors. I do have a number of working Duos but I refuse to kill a
    good PB just for the power connector. Sigh, I'm too sentimental I
    guess. :-)

    Dan K
    Dan K Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the advice, you've been giving!

    My tech magician also considered chosing another pc, but that would
    leave us without a proper power supply for it. SO maybe we'll try and
    get hold of a component and try with epoxy solution.

    best regards

    esben
    Esben Guest