Professional Web Applications Themes

Component very slow the first time... - ASP Components

Hi all, I have developed a component in VB which basically interacts with Acrobat and saves the stuff into the database and loads up the form with the existing data. I designed this to be a COM+ application, but everytime the user acceses this application for the first time(this is happening every day), it take lot of time to load and it gets better after that. But i am wondering why this happens the first time? any thoughts? is COM+ designed to work like this? Thanks for all your thoughts in advance. Vivek...

  1. #1

    Default Component very slow the first time...

    Hi all,
    I have developed a component in VB which basically interacts with Acrobat
    and saves the stuff into the database and loads up the form with the
    existing data. I designed this to be a COM+ application, but everytime the
    user acceses this application for the first time(this is happening every
    day), it take lot of time to load and it gets better after that. But i am
    wondering why this happens the first time? any thoughts? is COM+ designed to
    work like this? Thanks for all your thoughts in advance.

    Vivek

    vivek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Component very slow the first time...

    vivek wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > I have developed a component in VB which basically interacts with Acrobat
    > and saves the stuff into the database and loads up the form with the
    > existing data. I designed this to be a COM+ application, but everytime the
    > user acceses this application for the first time(this is happening every
    > day), it take lot of time to load and it gets better after that. But i am
    > wondering why this happens the first time? any thoughts? is COM+ designed to
    > work like this? Thanks for all your thoughts in advance.
    >
    > Vivek
    Possible causes of delay include initialization code in:
    - Application_OnStart code in global.asa,
    - Session_OnStart event code in global.asa,
    - the script,
    - the COM+ component.

    The first time an ASP script is executed it must be compiled to
    bytecode: the bytecode is cached in IIS and on subsequent requests
    fetched and executed without any compilation. Compilation is *very*
    CPU-intensive: if the script is large, compilation may cause a
    perceptible time delay.

    A possible solution is to establish a procedure to execute the page
    immediately after IIS startup, thereby reducing the likelihood that a
    user would experience the delay.

    Good Luck,
    Michael D. Kersey
    Michael D. Kersey Guest

  3. #3

    > is COM+ designed to work like this?

    It wouldn't say it was designed to work like that...but
    that is how it works :) When you first access the object
    COM+ has to create the Application and load your object
    and this initialisation does take a while, maybe as much
    as a second or 2. Once the COM+ app is loaded then it
    stays in memory until it idles out so subsequent requests
    are much quicker.

    What you could do is adjust the duration that your COM+
    Application runs for, or you could make it so that the
    COM+ App never shuts down no matter how long it has been
    left idle.

    Right-click on the COM+ Application in Component Services
    and select the Advanced tab. Look at the top box "Server
    Process Shutdown"

    Adrian Forbes - MVP Guest