Professional Web Applications Themes

Computer Hardware - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, another short question: i'm going to buy a new machine the next few days. What things are most important for best 3D-Performance? Graphic Card, Processor-Performance or working memory ? Greetings Daniel...

  1. #1

    Default Computer Hardware

    Basement_media webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Computer Hardware

    When it comes to performance, the graphics card is definitely the most
    important factor.

    A P4 without a 3D graphics card will be slower than a PIII with an old
    nVIDIA Riva TNT2 3D graphics card.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  3. #3

    I'm a believer that all your items are important. You won't get the payoff you hope if you put all your money into a gfx card and get a bottom end proc. I would get a decent speed cpu ~2Ghz, and then a decent card. I would probably make sure you get a DX9 capable card if you game or do much development that is heavy in gpu use. And I wouldn't skip on memory.

    Good luck

    Kronos113 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    For the time being, Shockwave 3D only uses DirectX versions 5.2 and 7.

    Of course, it is better to have it all. A GPU with wired DirectX 9 features
    (for evolution), a fast CPU, huge and fast memory etc.

    But Augustin and I stressed on the fact that the single most important piece
    you have to invest in is the graphics card, no doubt about this.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  5. #5

    "Karl Sigiscar" <karl.sigiscarlaposte.net> wrote in message

    > But Augustin and I stressed on the fact that the single most important
    piece
    > you have to invest in is the graphics card, no doubt about this.
    Yes, there is no doubt about this. A coppermine P3 (500MHz+) with a decent
    graphics card will /easily/ outperform a P4/2GHz with a cheap video card.
    Many people are surprised by this, but it's true. CPU speed means very
    little, really, and there is actually very little difference between a P2,
    P3 and P4 architectures (P4s are actually slower than P3s for just about
    anything other than copying large blocks of memory, but make up for it with
    higher clock speeds). I've seen some high-spec P2/400s outperform mid-range
    P4s.

    On the subject of memory: RAM is cheap, buy lots of it. It just improves
    overall system performance, although it won't make much difference to
    general SW3D performance (video memory /will/ make a big difference though).
    First make sure you video card has plenty of memory, and then buy as much
    main RAM as your budget allows.

    One thing that is often overlooked is the motherboard chipset. Make sure
    this is something decent as it will affect things like AGP performance and
    can cripple an otherwise decent system. A good motherboard chipset won't
    make your system super fast, but a bad one may well make it incredibly slow
    and/or unstable. You are only talking about £40 difference between a really
    good chipset and a really bad one as well. Check [url]www.tomshardware.com[/url] for
    motherboard reviews if you are building the system yourself.

    - Robert

    Robert Tweed Guest

  6. #6

    Hi, Robert.

    Robert Tweed wrote:
    > (P4s are actually slower than P3s for just about
    > anything other than copying large blocks of memory, but make up for it with
    > higher clock speeds).
    I know you and this is probably true... scarry indeed!. I´ve programmed
    last year a CD for a company and their PII 233mhz worked almost as fast
    as my P4 1.7 (Intel micro and chipset). The same for their old G4 (less
    than 1Ghz)... it performed outstandingly!
    > One thing that is often overlooked is the motherboard chipset.
    I always try to use Intel mothers but I´ve been told -by my 3D guy-
    that Assus works a lot faster. Hhmm... can you confirm that? I actually
    have a P4 2.4 - 512 (generic... sorry) RAM - Intel 845PESV chipset -
    GeForce4 mx 440 64mb and I feel it´s not running THAT fast when being
    compared with my PII 400 or my P3 600 (always Intel ;)

    Thanks!
    --
    Agustín María Rodríguez | [email]agustinOnWine.com.ar[/email] | [url]www.OnWine.com.ar[/url]

    Agustín María Rodríguez Guest