Professional Web Applications Themes

Concerned - Macromedia Freehand

I could really use some feedback. I needed to create some decorative stationary to be used at a meeting at my company. This stationery is going to be given out to a group of employees at a quarterly meeting. The ultimate product is going to be an 8 1/2" by 11" inch piece of decorative stationary. Knowing that the output needed to be printed full bleed, I was told by a local printer to create the image one-quarter of an inch larger, so I created doents that are 8.75" x 11.25". Here is my concern. I called a local printer ...

  1. #1

    Default Concerned

    I could really use some feedback.

    I needed to create some decorative stationary to be used at a meeting at my
    company. This stationery is going to be given out to a group of employees at
    a quarterly meeting. The ultimate product is going to be an 8 1/2" by 11"
    inch piece of decorative stationary. Knowing that the output needed to be
    printed full bleed, I was told by a local printer to create the image
    one-quarter of an inch larger, so I created doents that are 8.75" x
    11.25".

    Here is my concern. I called a local printer prior to starting this project
    to find out what format types they accepted. They indicated they took
    several formats including .jgp, tiff, pdf and EPS. When I asked what formats
    would give me the best output color I was told saving it as a .jgp was just
    fine. Therefore, that is what I did. I used Fireworks to create these .jpgs
    because I was somewhat familiar with it. Now I am hearing from folks that I
    shouldn't use .jpg but I should use tiff. Do you think it is necessary for
    me to re-create these doents as .tiffs? If so, do I need to start all
    over again and re-create in Freehand from scratch or can I take the existing
    fireworks .png or .jpg and open them up in Freehand and export as a tiff?
    I'm looking for the best color and to be able to define the size of the
    doent. I don't see in FreeHand a method of creating a new doent to my
    exact measurements. I am just beginning to use it and I am learning as I go.
    Any feedback you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Thank You,

    Sandra

    Sandra Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:Concerned

    Sandra,

    Ask your local printer what platform and software they use. I think your best bet is to export the said file as an illustrator file.

    David

    davecc webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Re:Concerned

    davecc,

    Do you mean EPS?

    --
    Thank You,

    Sandra

    "davecc" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Sandra,
    >
    > Ask your local printer what platform and software they use. I think your
    best bet is to export the said file as an illustrator file.

    > David

    Sandra Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Sandra,

    Depending on the printer's capabilities, often what we are sending out are
    press-ready PDFs that we are creating by printing to the Adobe PDF writer
    directly from Freehand MXa. It's possible to do spot color or CMYK output
    from a press-ready PDF, and it greatly simplifies the pre press process on
    my end, and makes it easier on our service bureaus as well.

    Using a press-ready PDF eliminates the need for oncluding fonts and images,
    since they are imbedded objects in the PDF file. It's much simpler to send
    on file than a whole folder full of files. The single PDF file is often
    smaller than a compressed archive of a job with all of it's support files
    too.

    I also noticed that you created a doent that was 8.75" x 11.25"? You
    should create a doent that is 8.5" x 11" and specify a bleed of .125",
    which will set your bleed size and trim size correctly.

    We use Freehand MXa and Acrobat 6 Pro on Windows XP with PostScript fonts
    from the Adobe Font Folio for Windows. Just another alternative for you.

    Hope this has been of benefit to you,

    Brandon Taylor
    b.Taylor Design

    [url]www.btaylordesign.com[/url]

    "Sandra" <nash55email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    > I could really use some feedback.
    >

    > I needed to create some decorative stationary to be used at a meeting at
    my
    > company. This stationery is going to be given out to a group of employees
    at
    > a quarterly meeting. The ultimate product is going to be an 8 1/2" by 11"
    > inch piece of decorative stationary. Knowing that the output needed to be
    > printed full bleed, I was told by a local printer to create the image
    > one-quarter of an inch larger, so I created doents that are 8.75" x
    > 11.25".
    >

    > Here is my concern. I called a local printer prior to starting this
    project
    > to find out what format types they accepted. They indicated they took
    > several formats including .jgp, tiff, pdf and EPS. When I asked what
    formats
    > would give me the best output color I was told saving it as a .jgp was
    just
    > fine. Therefore, that is what I did. I used Fireworks to create these
    ..jpgs
    > because I was somewhat familiar with it. Now I am hearing from folks that
    > shouldn't use .jpg but I should use tiff. Do you think it is necessary for
    > me to re-create these doents as .tiffs? If so, do I need to start all
    > over again and re-create in Freehand from scratch or can I take the
    existing
    > fireworks .png or .jpg and open them up in Freehand and export as a tiff?
    > I'm looking for the best color and to be able to define the size of the
    > doent. I don't see in FreeHand a method of creating a new doent to
    my
    > exact measurements. I am just beginning to use it and I am learning as I
    go.
    > Any feedback you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > --
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Sandra

    Brandon Taylor Guest

  5. #5

    Brandon,

    You have been very helpful! I will double check on the doent size. The
    printer told me to increase the size by 1/4 inch and they cut or trim it to
    size. I will make sure I know if this is correct. On another note, I have
    adobe acrobat and have adobe pdf writer installed. If I am going to send as
    a pdf file does it matter what format the original is in. For example, does
    it make a difference if I print a .pdf file from a freehand file .jgp .png
    or tiff?
    --
    Thank You,

    Sandra

    Sandra Guest

  6. #6

    I would work with the native Freehand doent. Otherwise you won't be able
    to edit the doent. You'd only be able to edit a .tif .jpg or .png or
    whatever in a program like Photoshop or Fireworks.

> [...]
    > that
    > > > shouldn't use .jpg but I should use tiff. Do you think it is necessary
    > for
    > > > me to re-create these doents as .tiffs? If so, do I need to start
    all
    > > > over again and re-create in Freehand from scratch or can I take the
    > > existing
    > > > fireworks .png or .jpg and open them up in Freehand and export as a
    > tiff?
    > > > I'm looking for the best color and to be able to define the size of
    the
    > > > doent. I don't see in FreeHand a method of creating a new doent
    > > my
    > > > exact measurements. I am just beginning to use it and I am learning as
    > > go.
    > > > Any feedback you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.

    Brandon Taylor Guest

  7. #7

    Sandra,

    The reason someone suggested using the TIFF format was their belief that it
    held more information. Well, it sorta does, but not what you need. My
    undestanding of TIFF is that it was developed for use with video work and
    contains an alpha channel. Of course you don't need an alpha channel when
    going to print so it is useless data. If your printer suggested JPG, I'd go
    with that. What was missing from your request was at what resolution the
    printer said he would like to see. A 72 dpi drops out a lot of detail when
    printed. Most printers want to see between 300 and 600 dpi (there are others
    who would like to see higher numbers).

    An experienced printer should be able to provide you with samples of what
    the work will look like in the different formats and resolutions. If the
    printer shrugs at your request, I'd suggest finding a new printer.

    Richard

    "Sandra" <nash55email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    > I could really use some feedback.
    >

    > I needed to create some decorative stationary to be used at a meeting at
    my
    > company. This stationery is going to be given out to a group of employees
    at
    > a quarterly meeting. The ultimate product is going to be an 8 1/2" by 11"
    > inch piece of decorative stationary. Knowing that the output needed to be
    > printed full bleed, I was told by a local printer to create the image
    > one-quarter of an inch larger, so I created doents that are 8.75" x
    > 11.25".
    >

    > Here is my concern. I called a local printer prior to starting this
    project
    > to find out what format types they accepted. They indicated they took
    > several formats including .jgp, tiff, pdf and EPS. When I asked what
    formats
    > would give me the best output color I was told saving it as a .jgp was
    just
    > fine. Therefore, that is what I did. I used Fireworks to create these
    ..jpgs
    > because I was somewhat familiar with it. Now I am hearing from folks that
    > shouldn't use .jpg but I should use tiff. Do you think it is necessary for
    > me to re-create these doents as .tiffs? If so, do I need to start all
    > over again and re-create in Freehand from scratch or can I take the
    existing
    > fireworks .png or .jpg and open them up in Freehand and export as a tiff?
    > I'm looking for the best color and to be able to define the size of the
    > doent. I don't see in FreeHand a method of creating a new doent to
    my
    > exact measurements. I am just beginning to use it and I am learning as I
    go.
    > Any feedback you can provide me will be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > --
    > Thank You,
    >
    > Sandra

    Storyman Guest

  8. #8

    Brandon,

    I have a question. Why do you say below to set the bleed as.125. I do not
    understand how you came up with that number. I added 1/4 inch to the size as
    stated below. Why would I add .125 and not .25? Am I missing something?

    --

    Sandra Guest

  9. #9

    Sandra wrote:
    > Brandon,
    >
    > I have a question. Why do you say below to set the bleed as.125. I do not
    > understand how you came up with that number. I added 1/4 inch to the size as
    > stated below. Why would I add .125 and not .25? Am I missing something?

    Because an 1/8th inch bleed is about standard in the print industry --
    wide enough that there is sufficient leeway for trimming irregularities
    when the job is being trimmed, yet narrow enough that it doesn't add
    hugely to the stock size required to run a particular job (and stock,
    esp. large stock, is money), or, in some cases, require running a job on
    a larger, hence more expensive press. The only time you may need more
    than 1/8th inch is if you are doing a multi-page brochure or magazine,
    where creep becomes an issue when trimming the printed job.

    You can add all the bleed you want over and above an 1/8th inch all
    round, but why would you? By definition, it's the part of the sheet that
    gets cut off and tossed. The purpose it serves is to achieve
    edge-to-edge printing in the offset world. Beyond the finished, trimmed
    size of your job, it's all just mulch.

    And just to recap, bleed settings are set on your doent palette in
    FH. Just enter "0.125"" in the bleed box & FH adds the appropriate
    bleed, while still allowing crop marks on the actual page size.

    DS

    David Soltess Guest

  10. #10

    Sandra,

    You and Brandon are saying the same thing in slightly different terminology. When he says make the bleed .125", what that does is add 1/8" on ALL FOUR SIDES of the page, making the printable area 1/4" wider and 1/4" higher, the same 8.75" x 11.25" that you mentioned originally. Does that make sense?

    Bill Schuhle

    RubberBill webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  11. #11

    RubberBill,

    Yes I think so. Thanks!

    --
    Thank You,

    Sandra

    "RubberBill" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Sandra,
    >
    > You and Brandon are saying the same thing in slightly different
    terminology. When he says make the bleed .125", what that does is add 1/8"
    on ALL FOUR SIDES of the page, making the printable area 1/4" wider and 1/4"
    higher, the same 8.75" x 11.25" that you mentioned originally. Does that
    make sense?

    > Bill Schuhle

    Sandra Guest