Professional Web Applications Themes

Conditional List Box in ASP - ASP Database

Hi there, I am having a few problems compiling a list box that is conditional on what is selected in another list box. What i need is a List box (lstArea) that displays one thing when the List Box (lstRegion) is selected East or West. Basically the areas will change when East or West is selected in lstRegion. The data comes from an SQL Server view, and my current non-working code is as follows, my syntax in the SQL statement is completly wrong, i have no idea how to go about this.. The View has 2 columns, vchrLong_Desc and vchrArea_Name, ...

  1. #1

    Default Conditional List Box in ASP

    Hi there,

    I am having a few problems compiling a list box that is conditional on what
    is selected in another list box.
    What i need is a List box (lstArea) that displays one thing when the List
    Box (lstRegion) is selected East or West. Basically the areas will change
    when East or West is selected in lstRegion.

    The data comes from an SQL Server view, and my current non-working code is
    as follows, my syntax in the SQL statement is completly wrong, i have no
    idea how to go about this..
    The View has 2 columns, vchrLong_Desc and vchrArea_Name, i want the new list
    box (lstArea) to display vchrArea_Name when the List Box lstRegion displays
    vchrLong_Desc.

    ************************
    <select name="lstArea" size="1"><br>
    <option value="">Please Select </option>
    <%
    Dim SQL, RS,

    SQL = "SELECT * from vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u WHERE
    vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u.vchrLong_Desc =" ("lstRegion")""

    set RS = DataConnection.Execute(SQL)
    If not RS.EOF then
    while not RS.EOF
    Response.write("<option
    value='"&RS("vchrArea_Name")&"'>"&RS("vchrArea_Nam e")&"</option>")
    RS.movenext()
    wend
    else
    Response.write("")
    end if
    %>
    </select>
    ***************************

    Hope that is not too confusing,
    I am new to ASP so you will have to forgive me for being nieve

    Thanks in advance

    Guy

    Guy Hocking Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Conditional List Box in ASP

    Guy Hocking wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am having a few problems compiling a list box that is conditional
    > on what is selected in another list box.
    > What i need is a List box (lstArea) that displays one thing when the
    > List Box (lstRegion) is selected East or West. Basically the areas
    > will change when East or West is selected in lstRegion.
    >
    > The data comes from an SQL Server view, and my current non-working
    > code is as follows, my syntax in the SQL statement is completly
    > wrong, i have no idea how to go about this..
    > The View has 2 columns, vchrLong_Desc and vchrArea_Name, i want the
    > new list box (lstArea) to display vchrArea_Name when the List Box
    > lstRegion displays vchrLong_Desc.

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2270[/url]

    Bob Barrows

    PS. I realize you are new, so you probably are not aware that you've
    committed a breach of netiquette here by posting an off-topic question.

    Just so you know, ASP is server-side technology, ie, it operates on the web
    server. By the time the client sees anything in the browser, ASP is usually
    finished. All subsequent operations (such as responding to users' actions:
    clicking with the mouse or selecting an option in a listbox) are no longer
    ASP operations, making them off-topic for this newsgroup. The appropriate
    newsgroups for this type of question (client-side code) are those that
    contain "dhtml" (dynamic html) in their names, or
    microsoft.public.scripting.jscript, or microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript.
    With a few exceptions, questions about activity that occurs on the server
    (server-side code) before the client sees the response in the browser, are
    the only on-topic questions for these asp newsgroups. (I notice you included
    the .iis newsgroup, which was totally inappropriate, since that newsgroup
    deals with the web server itself). It helps to browse a little in the
    newsgroups before posting to see which types of questions are deemed
    appropriate - you may even discover the answer to your question without
    posting. Use Google to seach for answers before posting: you will save
    yourself (and us) some time.

    I do congratulate you for cross-posting instead of multi-posting, however.
    Nothing burns us up more than responding to a question in one newsgroup only
    to find it's been answered in another group.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    I appreciate your points made in your reply, however, the code i am talking
    about may well be client side but it will post it to an ASP page to sort out
    and display the detail.
    Explain this to me, how will i get the data from the SQL server onto the
    page in the first place? will it not need to be an ASP page in order to do
    this - then sort out the client options once its there?
    If this is incorrect forgive me, as i stated i am new to ASP and its
    sisters.

    Please forgive me, as i feel your response was kind of patronising, i
    appreciate what you guys do as i frequently answer questions in the Exchange
    newsgroups, but your post was simply a point being made rather than helping
    me with my query.
    Whether client or server side the operation still contains ASP at some
    stage, making this post not so as in-appapropriate as you make out.

    I will post to the apropriate newsgroups, my apologies to any other MVP with
    their knickers in a twist,

    Kind Regards

    Guy Hocking
    MCSE

    Guy Hocking Guest

  4. #4

    if you reread Bobs post the very first line was helping you...

    Look at all the links and that will tell you how to do it.

    Basically you need CLIENT side code to change the drop down boxes with
    information... once you get that look at it and learn how its doing
    it.. once you got that then you can tell the client side code the date
    from the ASP db you need.

    If you find that client side javascript code is to advanced for you
    then you will have to do it server side, but this is not as
    "professional" as it calls back to the server each time.

    check out matts site for more info.

    [url]http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/[/url]

    Al.

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:06:14 -0000, "Guy Hocking"
    <guy.hockingbradflack.com> wrote:
    >, but your post was simply a point being made rather than helping
    >me with my query.
    Harag Guest

  5. #5

    "Guy Hocking" <guy.hockingbradflack.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am having a few problems compiling a list box that is conditional on
    what
    > is selected in another list box.
    > What i need is a List box (lstArea) that displays one thing when the List
    > Box (lstRegion) is selected East or West. Basically the areas will change
    > when East or West is selected in lstRegion.
    >
    > The data comes from an SQL Server view, and my current non-working code is
    > as follows, my syntax in the SQL statement is completly wrong, i have no
    > idea how to go about this..
    > The View has 2 columns, vchrLong_Desc and vchrArea_Name, i want the new
    list
    > box (lstArea) to display vchrArea_Name when the List Box lstRegion
    displays
    > vchrLong_Desc.
    >
    > ************************
    > <select name="lstArea" size="1"><br>
    > <option value="">Please Select </option>
    > <%
    > Dim SQL, RS,
    >
    > SQL = "SELECT * from vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u WHERE
    > vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u.vchrLong_Desc =" ("lstRegion")""
    This last bit could be a problem.... for lots of reasons.

    Are you having your page submit when the first box is selected? Are all your
    select boxes in a Form?

    You would need to have something like this :

    <%
    If Request.Form() <> "" Then ' Form submitted'
    DropDown1 = Trim(Request.Form("DropDown1"))

    If DropDown1 <> "" Then
    sSQL = "SELECT * FROM vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u WHERE sw_etc = '" &
    DropDown1 & "'"
    Set RS = DataConn.Execute(SQL)
    If NOt (RS.eof and RS.BOF) Then
    Response.write "<Select name = ""DropDown2"">"
    Do While Not Rs.Eof
    Response.write "<option value = """ & RS("WhichEverIDField") &
    """>" & RS("WhichEverTextField
    Rs.Movenext
    Loop
    Response.write "</select>"
    Else
    Response.write "No records found!"
    End If
    RS.CLose
    Set RS = Nothing
    End If

    %>

    > set RS = DataConnection.Execute(SQL)
    > If not RS.EOF then
    > while not RS.EOF
    > Response.write("<option
    > value='"&RS("vchrArea_Name")&"'>"&RS("vchrArea_Nam e")&"</option>")
    > RS.movenext()
    > wend
    > else
    > Response.write("")
    > end if
    > %>
    > </select>
    > ***************************
    >
    > Hope that is not too confusing,
    > I am new to ASP so you will have to forgive me for being nieve
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Guy

    Dan Boylett Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:06:14 -0000, "Guy Hocking"
    <guy.hockingbradflack.com> wrote:
    >I appreciate your points made in your reply, however, the code i am talking
    >about may well be client side but it will post it to an ASP page to sort out
    >and display the detail.
    The client side code isn't on topic in the asp.db group. The ASP part
    is barely on topic for the other groups you posted to. To get the
    best answer to your quesion, use the correct groups. And when someone
    suggests a different group, follow that advice.
    >Explain this to me, how will i get the data from the SQL server onto the
    >page in the first place? will it not need to be an ASP page in order to do
    >this - then sort out the client options once its there?
    Well, umm... Not completely. But that's not an issue. You asked
    about the client-side functions, not getting the results from the
    database on the server side.

    You're new to ASP, and need to understand that an ASP "page" may have
    server-side and client-side code, as well as HTML coding, DHTML and
    quite possibly a Perl script tacked in for good measure. Just because
    you use ASP and the problem appears on the page doesn't mean it's an
    ASP issue. Heck, it could be a router, DNS, IIS, authentication, NTFS
    permissions or Internet Explorer issue. Each technology has some very
    talented people voluntarily helping, but none of us know it all. So
    we point you to the best place to resolve your issue.

    We don't hate you for it, even though we may sound snotty (answering
    the same request a dozen times in a day makes us that way), our real
    goal is actually getting you working correctly. If we can also give
    you the knowledge to figure it out yourself the next time, even
    better.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran Guest

  7. #7

    Try these for starters

    [url]http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/101099-1.shtml[/url]

    [url]http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/061399-1.shtml[/url]

    [url]http://www.devguru.com/features/knowledge_base/A100209.html[/url]

    [url]http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/ASP/Two-dropdown-boxes-that-are-DataBase-Driven/[/url]

    "Guy Hocking" <guy.hockingbradflack.com> wrote in message news:<#AJD5Sd1DHA.2388TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am having a few problems compiling a list box that is conditional on what
    > is selected in another list box.
    > What i need is a List box (lstArea) that displays one thing when the List
    > Box (lstRegion) is selected East or West. Basically the areas will change
    > when East or West is selected in lstRegion.
    >
    > The data comes from an SQL Server view, and my current non-working code is
    > as follows, my syntax in the SQL statement is completly wrong, i have no
    > idea how to go about this..
    > The View has 2 columns, vchrLong_Desc and vchrArea_Name, i want the new list
    > box (lstArea) to display vchrArea_Name when the List Box lstRegion displays
    > vchrLong_Desc.
    >
    > ************************
    > <select name="lstArea" size="1"><br>
    > <option value="">Please Select </option>
    > <%
    > Dim SQL, RS,
    >
    > SQL = "SELECT * from vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u WHERE
    > vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u.vchrLong_Desc =" ("lstRegion")""
    >
    > set RS = DataConnection.Execute(SQL)
    > If not RS.EOF then
    > while not RS.EOF
    > Response.write("<option
    > value='"&RS("vchrArea_Name")&"'>"&RS("vchrArea_Nam e")&"</option>")
    > RS.movenext()
    > wend
    > else
    > Response.write("")
    > end if
    > %>
    > </select>
    > ***************************
    >
    > Hope that is not too confusing,
    > I am new to ASP so you will have to forgive me for being nieve
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Guy
    Alex G Guest

  8. #8

    Cheers Guys and Gals for your help,

    Once again my apologies to those i may of offended.
    Keep up the good work ppl

    Thanks again

    --
    Guy

    news:c52476a5.0401080920.3286773fposting.google.c om...

    Guy Hocking Guest

  9. #9

    I would suggest using ASP to write out the first select ... then you
    will have to use asp to write out the next select for the change in
    the first

    I would suggest as you explore your javascript needs for this problem,
    you make it easy on yourself and look into splitting strings in js

    <script language="javascript"
    var secondCommaString

    switch(valueOfFirstSelectBox)

    <%
    loop through 1st box variables to get ...

    With Response
    .Write "case 'firstBoxValue1':" & vbNewLine

    .Write "secondCommaString = string of variables for javascript to
    use to create an array and create new select bow" & vbNewLine

    ..Write "break" & vbNewLine
    End With
    %>

    //then later in js split the commaString into a JS array and write
    "show" the span and write the 2nd select box with the array of values

    Anyway, this is a semi-complex piece of code ... and a little lengthy
    for me to put here ...

    On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:47:17 -0000, "Guy Hocking"
    <guy.hockingbradflack.com> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I am having a few problems compiling a list box that is conditional on what
    >is selected in another list box.
    >What i need is a List box (lstArea) that displays one thing when the List
    >Box (lstRegion) is selected East or West. Basically the areas will change
    >when East or West is selected in lstRegion.
    >
    >The data comes from an SQL Server view, and my current non-working code is
    >as follows, my syntax in the SQL statement is completly wrong, i have no
    >idea how to go about this..
    >The View has 2 columns, vchrLong_Desc and vchrArea_Name, i want the new list
    >box (lstArea) to display vchrArea_Name when the List Box lstRegion displays
    >vchrLong_Desc.
    >
    >************************
    ><select name="lstArea" size="1"><br>
    ><option value="">Please Select </option>
    ><%
    > Dim SQL, RS,
    >
    > SQL = "SELECT * from vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u WHERE
    >vw_SOLS_RegionsAreas_u.vchrLong_Desc =" ("lstRegion")""
    >
    > set RS = DataConnection.Execute(SQL)
    > If not RS.EOF then
    > while not RS.EOF
    > Response.write("<option
    >value='"&RS("vchrArea_Name")&"'>"&RS("vchrArea_Na me")&"</option>")
    > RS.movenext()
    > wend
    > else
    > Response.write("")
    > end if
    >%>
    ></select>
    >
    >Hope that is not too confusing,
    >I am new to ASP so you will have to forgive me for being nieve
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Guy

    Brynn Guest