Professional Web Applications Themes

Config Files - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm looking for, basically, information on all sorts of config files. And generally on getting a system from basically nothing to the way I want it. Where's a good place to find that? I have the Mandrake "Command Line" docs, and they have some things that I know and some things that I don't, but I want to go her than that. -- "Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, then perhaps we shall find the truth... But let us beware of publishing our dreams before they have been put to the proof by the waking understanding." -- Friedrich August Kekulé...

  1. #1

    Default Config Files

    --
    "Let us learn to dream, gentlemen, then perhaps we shall find the
    truth... But let us beware of publishing our dreams before they have been
    put to the proof by the waking understanding." -- Friedrich August Kekulé
    Gregory Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Config Files

    Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

    I think you need to be more specific as to what your are trying
    to configure since there are some 7000 different packages
    available for linux.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  3. #3

    Gregory L. Hansen <ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:

    It's unclear what you really want? Perhaps:

    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

    $ rpm -qa --configfiles

    Should show you all that have been installed through rpm.
    Try 'man rpm' for more info.

    Good luck

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

    the source?

    or ...
    the comments in the config files you have available?
    maybe the man pages?
    trial and error?

    Pedro Guest

  5. #5

    In article <g5yqb.95466$ao4.280538attbi_s51>,
    David <net> wrote:

    >I think you need to be more specific as to what your are trying
    >to configure since there are some 7000 different packages
    >available for linux.[/ref]

    That's a lot.

    Nothing that could be called productivity software, or games, etc. I'm
    looking at the basic system -- networking, X, the boot process, that sort
    of thing. I have Mandrake 9.1 CDs that won't give me more than a minimal
    text-only setup, and Debian CDs that actually give me less than that. But
    right now at least I have basic shell tools, I can read my disk drives,
    and I have a C compiler. So my plan is to identify software as I need
    it, install and configure it. I have to figure out what I need, how to
    install it, and how to configure it. In the short term, I want to connect
    to my ISP, and I want to get a window manager running, any window manager,
    even twm would be a start.

  6. #6

    Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

    That's why I said you need to be more specific.

    I haven't ever used Mandrake but is your ISP a cable, dial-up, or
    DSL connection? It does make a difference. That is why I say you
    need to be more specific. Also be specific as to what kind of
    modem and NIC you have (Brand & Model).

    Well if you have X installed you can configure it with:
    xf86config, XF86Config, or xf86cfg. I haven't used Mandrake so
    I'm not sure what they include.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 31 days, 3:10, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.23, 0.17
    David Guest

  7. #7

    In article <F6zqb.131975$Tr4.337859attbi_s03>,
    David <net> wrote:

    >That's why I said you need to be more specific.

    >I haven't ever used Mandrake but is your ISP a cable, dial-up, or
    >DSL connection? It does make a difference. That is why I say you
    >need to be more specific. Also be specific as to what kind of
    >modem and NIC you have (Brand & Model).[/ref]

    It's dial-up. I have no idea what kind of modem I have, I pulled it out
    of an ISA slot in an old OptiPlex and there are no markings on the circuit
    board that I know how to relate to a brand or model. Maybe I'll just give
    up on that and buy a new PCI modem, I understand they're pretty cheap
    these days.

    I don't have X installed. The last time I tried it, after a Mandrake
    install attempt went bad, I don't even know if all the X-related software
    got installed, and the usual configuration tools didn't seem to
    believe me when I entered my monitor information, and I was stuck on
    low-res strobe light mode. I thought I might have more luck if I
    downloaded and installed everything I needed by hand, and edited the
    configuration files directly rather than through a front-end. But first I
    need to be clued in on how to do all that.

  8. #8

    Gregory L. Hansen uttered the immortal words:

    The gotcha there is that most cheap PCI modems are software modems (aka
    Winmodems) and need a driver which may or may not be available for Linux.

    I always go for an external serial hardware modem which normally just work.
    I haven't needed to buy one in years so I can't recommend any specific
    modems but others here will be able to.

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  9. #9

    In article <boehsv$1e7riv$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Andy Fraser <com> wrote:

    >The gotcha there is that most cheap PCI modems are software modems (aka
    >Winmodems) and need a driver which may or may not be available for Linux.[/ref]

    Are there identifying features, like perhaps the label "Winmodem", or the
    subtitle "software modem", that I may rely on when selecting a model?

  10. #10

    Gregory L. Hansen uttered the immortal words:

    > Are there identifying features, like perhaps the label "Winmodem", or the
    > subtitle "software modem", that I may rely on when selecting a model?[/ref]

    I've only ever bought external serial modems so I wouldn't know. I just play
    safe and assume all PCI modems are Winmodems unless they state Linux
    compatibility on the box hence my sticking to external modems. Even then
    though you'll probably have to compile the driver against the source of
    your kernel and that's a whole other mine field.

    You said you're using Mandrake. Depending on which version you have I hear
    it's actually quite good with Winmodems. You can check hardware
    compatibility here for versions from 8 and up:
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3

    I'm sure others will add to this :-)

    --
    Andy.
    Andy Guest

  11. #11

    In article <boev13$1c6rrb$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Andy Fraser <com> wrote:

    >> Are there identifying features, like perhaps the label "Winmodem", or the
    >> subtitle "software modem", that I may rely on when selecting a model?[/ref]
    >
    >I've only ever bought external serial modems so I wouldn't know. I just play
    >safe and assume all PCI modems are Winmodems unless they state Linux
    >compatibility on the box hence my sticking to external modems. Even then
    >though you'll probably have to compile the driver against the source of
    >your kernel and that's a whole other mine field.
    >
    >You said you're using Mandrake. Depending on which version you have I hear
    >it's actually quite good with Winmodems. You can check hardware
    >compatibility here for versions from 8 and up:
    >http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3
    >
    >I'm sure others will add to this :-)
    >
    >--
    >Andy.[/ref]

    I see from the options that there's such a think as Mandrake 9.1 HP. Is
    that some special version of Mandrake that runs on Hewlett-Packard
    hardware? Because I happen to be trying to install this on an old HP
    workstation.

  12. #12

    Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

    hello gregory, sorry to hear you are having trouble (after i suggested that
    kayak). i think it would be good to localize your load problems, if you
    haven't already.

    i hope it's just bad (or iffy) cds, and not something in the hw. maybe you
    could grab a set of cd's from cheapbytes (etc.) to play with while you get
    started.

    http://www.cheapbytes.com/

    fwiw, i think the best thing to do as a beginner is a few installs and
    re-installs of the full system, trying to improve configuration of each as
    you go. the config text files you change will be small enough to fit on a
    floppy, and save as a reference for next time. just make it part of the
    routine to copy edited files to the floppy. even better save the *.orig
    and *.new files so you can "diff" them later.

    i know for me (having used other unixes but not linux), it was easy to make
    a wrong turn early in the post-install configuration, and then be fighting
    my wrong turn more than anything else.

    if you learn a bit and then "unix on, unix off" (to borrow from "wax on
    ....), you can do a little more right each time. it's much easier imo to
    make backups and notes, and treat each install as temparary until things
    start to really click.
    lefty Guest

  13. #13

    In article <G3Rqb.76$news.adelphia.net>,
    lefty <invalid> wrote:

    >hello gregory, sorry to hear you are having trouble (after i suggested that
    >kayak). i think it would be good to localize your load problems, if you
    >haven't already.
    >
    >i hope it's just bad (or iffy) cds, and not something in the hw. maybe you
    >could grab a set of cd's from cheapbytes (etc.) to play with while you get
    >started.[/ref]

    Heh! I still like the Kayak. When I get it working right, and figure out
    how to benchmark a few things, I still want to put a pair of GHz PIIIs in
    it. First one, see how it works, then think about the other.

    I've found a few things on-line, including how to build a Linux system
    from scratch, and about building XFree86 from source. So I've been
    downloading X, KDE, and Gnome stuff and I'll burn it to CD to bring home
    from work, except it just occurred to me that my wonky "PowerPack"
    includes source, so it might have all of that already. But maybe it
    will work better when I get back to basics.

    I actually have a lot of material left to read, maybe my questions are
    answered in there somewhere. It's just that I have about two thousand
    pages worth of stuff, and whatever answers it contains I want now because
    I have a system that doesn't work right now. A lot of that is things
    like shell basics, which I know, a third or fourth tutorial on vi, how to
    navigate the Gnome/KDE desktops, which is pretty self-explanatory and
    won't do me much good until it's installed anyway, and so on.

    I don't think I'm going to do many more installs from the Mandraks CDs
    because it will sit and spin when I put the second disk in, and sometimes
    it will hang and I don't know of a graceful way to exit, and I've booted
    into "01 01 01 01..." a few times. So I installed as little as I could
    and got the text screen with the usual tools and a C compiler. That
    should be enough. I also sort of have X installed, but it won't start. I
    discovered in Mandrake that my CD is at /mnt/cdrom, when I couldn't get it
    to work before in Debian I was trying /dev/everything, but maybe
    /mnt/cdrom would work there, too. Maybe, and maybe not, I guess I'm not
    very eager to wipe what I have to try Debian again just on the off chance
    that it might work.

  14. #14

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 17:59:02 GMT, lefty <invalid> wrote: [/ref]
    <snip>

    I think this method works pretty well too. It's a huge pain to realize
    months after using an installation that I've messed up the install, and if
    I want it right I have to somehow gather and back up everything to start
    over. Much easier to re do it a bunch of times, varying this and that, to
    learn what the options are.

    --
    - Laurel * * * http://amberdine.com

    Laurel Guest