Professional Web Applications Themes

Configure Linksys BEFSR81 Help - Mac Networking

Systems 10.3.3, G4, ISP connection is Static IP DSL Googling for "macintosh configure linksys BEFS81" didn't lead me anywhere. I have a working connection with an older router, attempting to upgrade to Linksys BEFSR to take advantage of 10/100 switch. Spent 45 minutes on the phone with Linksys tech support, which gave up and suggested I get a Wintel machine to use to configure, or return the router to the vender. Can anyone provide the steps I need to take to configure the BEFSR81 v3 from a Mac? I have a G3 running OS 9.2.2, in addition to the G4 ...

  1. #1

    Default Configure Linksys BEFSR81 Help

    Systems 10.3.3, G4, ISP connection is Static IP DSL

    Googling for "macintosh configure linksys BEFS81" didn't lead me
    anywhere.

    I have a working connection with an older router, attempting to upgrade
    to Linksys BEFSR to take advantage of 10/100 switch.

    Spent 45 minutes on the phone with Linksys tech support, which gave up
    and suggested I get a Wintel machine to use to configure, or return the
    router to the vender.

    Can anyone provide the steps I need to take to configure the BEFSR81 v3
    from a Mac? I have a G3 running OS 9.2.2, in addition to the G4 on
    10.3.3. Since this message is coming from the old router, we can be sure
    that I have the proper information from the ISP to make the connection.

    Thanks for any help.

    jim
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Configure Linksys BEFSR81 Help

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Jim Jaeger <com> wrote:

    What happens when you connect the router to a computer and point a web
    browser at <http://192.168.1.1>?

    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    In article <dca.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > What happens when you connect the router to a computer and point a web
    > browser at <http://192.168.1.1>?[/ref]

    If I use Safari, nothing. Safari hangs without ever connecting to the
    router.

    With Internet Explorer, I get the Linksys configuration pages and can
    enter the parameters. In fact, I can go through what appears to be the
    whole configuration process. None of the parameters "stick". After
    stepping through the process (a few times on my own, and once under the
    tutelage of Rupak from New Delhi on the Linksys tech support line) and
    going back to the first step, all the parameters remain at the defaults.

    If I don't go back to check the parameters, simply presume that
    everything is properly set, and power off and back on as the
    instructions direct, I get a bright red page with a 404 notice that
    informs me that I've entered something wrong. Since my ISP's 404 notice
    has a white background, I presume this notice is from the Linksys--an
    assumption that seems reasonable. In any event, the configuration
    doesn't work.

    I've sent a message to com and received the standard
    automatic response from them. Perhaps I'll hear something before I have
    to make the decision to return the router.

    When I finish this scan of newgroups, I intend to try configuring from
    the G3 using 9.2.2. I haven't much hope that it will make much
    difference.

    Thanks for the reply.

    jim
    Jim Guest

  4. #4

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Jim Jaeger <com> wrote:

    > > What happens when you connect the router to a computer and point a web
    > > browser at <http://192.168.1.1>?[/ref]
    >
    > If I use Safari, nothing. Safari hangs without ever connecting to the
    > router.
    >
    > With Internet Explorer, I get the Linksys configuration pages and can
    > enter the parameters. In fact, I can go through what appears to be the
    > whole configuration process. None of the parameters "stick". After
    > stepping through the process (a few times on my own, and once under the
    > tutelage of Rupak from New Delhi on the Linksys tech support line) and
    > going back to the first step, all the parameters remain at the defaults.
    >
    > If I don't go back to check the parameters, simply presume that
    > everything is properly set, and power off and back on as the
    > instructions direct, I get a bright red page with a 404 notice that
    > informs me that I've entered something wrong. Since my ISP's 404 notice
    > has a white background, I presume this notice is from the Linksys--an
    > assumption that seems reasonable. In any event, the configuration
    > doesn't work.
    >
    > I've sent a message to com and received the standard
    > automatic response from them. Perhaps I'll hear something before I have
    > to make the decision to return the router.
    >
    > When I finish this scan of newgroups, I intend to try configuring from
    > the G3 using 9.2.2. I haven't much hope that it will make much
    > difference.
    >[/ref]

    Have you tried to reset the device by pressing and holding the reset
    button button (located behind the hole in the front panel) for several
    seconds? The button is supposed to clear the router's configuration.
    If that doesn't work, you may be able to re-flash the firmware with IE.
    I have a modified copy of tftp that I use to upload firmware to my
    BEFSR41. I'll email it to you if you like.

  5. #5

    In article <dca.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > With Internet Explorer, I get the Linksys configuration pages and can
    > > enter the parameters. In fact, I can go through what appears to be the
    > > whole configuration process. None of the parameters "stick". After
    > > stepping through the process (a few times on my own, and once under the
    > > tutelage of Rupak from New Delhi on the Linksys tech support line) and
    > > going back to the first step, all the parameters remain at the defaults.
    > >
    > > If I don't go back to check the parameters...I get a bright red page
    > > with a 404 notice that informs me that I've entered something wrong....
    > > In any event, the configuration doesn't work.[/ref]
    >
    > Have you tried to reset the device by pressing and holding the reset
    > button button (located behind the hole in the front panel) for several
    > seconds? The button is supposed to clear the router's configuration.
    > If that doesn't work, you may be able to re-flash the firmware with IE.
    > I have a modified copy of tftp that I use to upload firmware to my
    > BEFSR41. I'll email it to you if you like.[/ref]

    The reset is on the back of the BEFSR81 v3. One of the things that Rupak
    talked me through was using that to clear the router.

    Regarding TFTP...I have MacTFTP Client, which presumably will flash the
    firmware. (If you know otherwise, please speak up, I'm going on what I
    read in a "ReadMe" or some such.)

    I find no update to the firmware of the router. The router was preloaded
    with version 2.45.5, dated September 15, 2003. I've looked through the
    Linksys web site for an update, but found nothing--it may be there, but
    I didn't find it. The firmware update on Version Tracker is 2.44.2. Have
    you any experience with a firmware "downdate"?

    jim
    Jim Guest

  6. #6

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Jim Jaeger <com> wrote:

    > > Have you tried to reset the device by pressing and holding the reset
    > > button button (located behind the hole in the front panel) for several
    > > seconds? The button is supposed to clear the router's configuration.
    > > If that doesn't work, you may be able to re-flash the firmware with IE.
    > > I have a modified copy of tftp that I use to upload firmware to my
    > > BEFSR41. I'll email it to you if you like.[/ref]
    >
    > The reset is on the back of the BEFSR81 v3. One of the things that Rupak
    > talked me through was using that to clear the router.
    >
    > Regarding TFTP...I have MacTFTP Client, which presumably will flash the
    > firmware. (If you know otherwise, please speak up, I'm going on what I
    > read in a "ReadMe" or some such.)
    >
    > I find no update to the firmware of the router. The router was preloaded
    > with version 2.45.5, dated September 15, 2003. I've looked through the
    > Linksys web site for an update, but found nothing--it may be there, but
    > I didn't find it. The firmware update on Version Tracker is 2.44.2. Have
    > you any experience with a firmware "downdate"?
    >[/ref]
    M\I thought my router, a BEFSR41, was the same as the BEFSR81 except for
    the number of ports. Apparently that may not be correct. In any event,
    I have downdated without ill effect.

    Good luck

  7. #7

    Default Re: Configure Linksys BEFSR81 Help (Solution)

    In article <dca.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > The reset is on the back of the BEFSR81 v3. One of the things that Rupak
    > > talked me through was using that to clear the router.
    > >
    > > I find no update to the firmware of the router. The router was preloaded
    > > with version 2.45.5, dated September 15, 2003. I've looked through the
    > > Linksys web site for an update, but found nothing... The firmware update
    > > on Version Tracker is 2.44.2. Have you any experience with a firmware
    > > "downdate"?
    > >[/ref]
    > M\I thought my router, a BEFSR41, was the same as the BEFSR81 except for
    > the number of ports. Apparently that may not be correct. In any event,
    > I have downdated without ill effect.[/ref]

    Thanks for the handholding. The solution was to move the the G3 and iCab
    to do the configuration. Immediate gratification.

    The question now is, was it Mac OS X, the browsers (Safari and IE), or
    Jim that was ing up? My frustration was partly due to the fact
    that, in former life, I made my living setting up LANs and connecting
    them to the world.
    Jim Guest

  8. #8

    In article <sjc.giganews.com>,
    Jim Jaeger <com> wrote:

    I can't really say. I use Mac OS X 10.3.3 exclusively and routinely
    query my router using Safari as well as setting specific parameters
    using 'curl' (convenient way to en/disable specific machines for things
    like homework). I'm pleased to hear that things worked out for you.