Professional Web Applications Themes

Configuring MySQL Server v5 - MySQL

Hi All, I have installed MySQL Server v5 on a WinXPpe box. IIS is installed and enabled. I next run the configuration program. It will not let me setup the security for the instance. I have verified that port 3306 is unblocked in my firewall for both incoming and outgoing traffic. What I ideally would like, is to have it set up so that TCP/IP is totally turned off. I want the project to only work on my development machine. When I try to run EMS MySQL Manager it tells me that it cannot connect to rootlocalhost . I am ...

  1. #1

    Default Configuring MySQL Server v5

    Hi All,

    I have installed MySQL Server v5 on a WinXPpe box. IIS is installed
    and enabled.

    I next run the configuration program. It will not let me setup the
    security for the instance. I have verified that port 3306 is
    unblocked in my firewall for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

    What I ideally would like, is to have it set up so that TCP/IP is
    totally turned off. I want the project to only work on my
    development machine.

    When I try to run EMS MySQL Manager it tells me that it cannot
    connect to rootlocalhost . I am not sure at this point what I need
    to do so that I can access the databases.

    Basically, what I am doing is designing a web site. because of
    certain limits of the domain host, I want to do all the developing
    locally than when the site is complete put in the changes to access
    the datafiles from the web and go from there.

    I am using PHP to interface with MySQL, and it also cannot access
    the MySQL files.

    Any guidance would be great. I have run out of ideas, and I would
    really like to get this project done. I have been paying for the web
    site hosting for 6 months and would like to spend the next month
    getting it all ready for an actual launch.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    And on the seventh day God said,
    "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."
    C.Joseph Drayton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Configuring MySQL Server v5

    C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have installed MySQL Server v5 on a WinXPpe box. IIS is installed
    > and enabled.
    >
    > I next run the configuration program. It will not let me setup the
    > security for the instance. I have verified that port 3306 is
    > unblocked in my firewall for both incoming and outgoing traffic.
    >
    > What I ideally would like, is to have it set up so that TCP/IP is
    > totally turned off. I want the project to only work on my
    > development machine.
    >
    > When I try to run EMS MySQL Manager it tells me that it cannot
    > connect to rootlocalhost . I am not sure at this point what I need
    > to do so that I can access the databases.
    >
    > Basically, what I am doing is designing a web site. because of
    > certain limits of the domain host, I want to do all the developing
    > locally than when the site is complete put in the changes to access
    > the datafiles from the web and go from there.
    >
    > I am using PHP to interface with MySQL, and it also cannot access
    > the MySQL files.
    >
    > Any guidance would be great. I have run out of ideas, and I would
    > really like to get this project done. I have been paying for the web
    > site hosting for 6 months and would like to spend the next month
    > getting it all ready for an actual launch.
    >
    > Ciao . . . C.Joseph
    >
    > And on the seventh day God said,
    > "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."
    Hi All,

    I got the security problem solved. The next problem is that when I
    run a PHP script that makes MySQL calls it doesn't do anything. I
    know that the PHP interpreter is working since I have it output some
    text just to make sure it is working.

    If I go inside of PHP Designer 2005 and run the script, it does fine
    until it gets to the first MySQL statement, then errors out saying
    that it is an undefined function.

    I have checked, and the MySQL service is started. Is there something
    I have to tell it for it to let FireFox or PHP Designer 2005
    actually execute a MySQL command?

  3. #3

    C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
    > C.Joseph Drayton wrote:
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>I have installed MySQL Server v5 on a WinXPpe box. IIS is installed
    >>and enabled.
    >>
    >>I next run the configuration program. It will not let me setup the
    >>security for the instance. I have verified that port 3306 is
    >>unblocked in my firewall for both incoming and outgoing traffic.
    >>
    >>What I ideally would like, is to have it set up so that TCP/IP is
    >>totally turned off. I want the project to only work on my
    >>development machine.
    >>
    >>When I try to run EMS MySQL Manager it tells me that it cannot
    >>connect to rootlocalhost . I am not sure at this point what I need
    >>to do so that I can access the databases.
    >>
    >>Basically, what I am doing is designing a web site. because of
    >>certain limits of the domain host, I want to do all the developing
    >>locally than when the site is complete put in the changes to access
    >>the datafiles from the web and go from there.
    >>
    >>I am using PHP to interface with MySQL, and it also cannot access
    >>the MySQL files.
    >>
    >>Any guidance would be great. I have run out of ideas, and I would
    >>really like to get this project done. I have been paying for the web
    >>site hosting for 6 months and would like to spend the next month
    >>getting it all ready for an actual launch.
    >>
    >>Ciao . . . C.Joseph
    >>
    >> And on the seventh day God said,
    >> "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."
    >

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I got the security problem solved. The next problem is that when I
    > run a PHP script that makes MySQL calls it doesn't do anything. I
    > know that the PHP interpreter is working since I have it output some
    > text just to make sure it is working.
    >
    > If I go inside of PHP Designer 2005 and run the script, it does fine
    > until it gets to the first MySQL statement, then errors out saying
    > that it is an undefined function.
    >
    > I have checked, and the MySQL service is started. Is there something
    > I have to tell it for it to let FireFox or PHP Designer 2005
    > actually execute a MySQL command?
    >
    > Ciao . . . C.Joseph
    >
    > And on the seventh day God said,
    > "I will rest . . . Murphy take over."
    Did you enable the MySQL extensions in your php.ini?

    --
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  4. #4

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:
    > Did you enable the MySQL extensions in your php.ini?
    I second this question. See the FAQ for how to do it:
    [url]http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/PHP_FAQ[/url]

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest