Professional Web Applications Themes

Configuring RAID 0 through tip connection (Solaris 8 and 9, Sparc) - Sun Solaris

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:28:19 -0700, Mike Shafer wrote: > In short, my target is: RAID 0 on the file system, using 8 (maybe 16) > GB for swap, and the rest for the / mount. Is this possible? It > doesn't sound like it is! God knows why though! How do you expect the system to boot a kernel scattered across several drives without having the SVM software running, which can't happen until the kernel loads?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Configuring RAID 0 through tip connection (Solaris 8 and 9, Sparc)

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:28:19 -0700, Mike Shafer wrote:
    > In short, my target is: RAID 0 on the file system, using 8 (maybe 16)
    > GB for swap, and the rest for the / mount. Is this possible? It
    > doesn't sound like it is! God knows why though!
    How do you expect the system to boot a kernel scattered across several
    drives without having the SVM software running, which can't happen until
    the kernel loads?

    Dave Uhring Guest

  2. #2

    > How do you expect the system to boot a kernel scattered across several
    > drives without having the SVM software running, which can't happen until
    > the kernel loads?
    How the hell would I know? I've never been tasked with implementing
    RAID on a Solaris machine--usually that was already done before I
    arrived. I already admitted I don't have a clue what's going on, and
    the docs only confuse me more. I got a little bit further in the SVM,
    but the system is confusing the hell out of me. One disk has no
    partitions mounted at all, and the other disk has TWO partitions
    around 36 GB (one being home and the other being backup). Don't know
    how that's possible since it's only a 36 GB SCSI. And then when I try
    to mount a partition or change a partition's attributes to unassigned
    or anything else, it throws some Java exception about not being able
    to load partition information.

    Jeebers..... Linux is about 100x easier than this. But I guess this
    is what keeps Sun professional consultants in business!

    You didn't answer the question anyway, so please don't respond with
    sly remarks unless you can help!!!
    Mike Shafer Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:48:49 -0700, Mike Shafer wrote:
    >> How do you expect the system to boot a kernel scattered across several
    >> drives without having the SVM software running, which can't happen until
    >> the kernel loads?
    > You didn't answer the question anyway, so please don't respond with
    > sly remarks unless you can help!!!
    I answered your question, if you had at least 50 grams of gray matter to
    think about it. I tried to avoid insulting you but that seems to be
    unavoidable. You read the docs and they clearly stated your limitations.
    You cannot do that, and I explained -why- you can't.

    You cannot split /boot on Linux across striped plexes either using LVM.
    lilo and grub are incapable of dealing with that bogus configuration.

    If you do not know how to read the docs and do these things yourself, then
    hire someone who -does- know how to set up something which does meet your
    basic requirements. BTW, smc can be run over the network; you don't need
    to actually use the dreaded "command line" on a serial connection.

    Dave Uhring Guest

  4. #4

    Mike Shafer wrote:
    >>How do you expect the system to boot a kernel scattered across several
    >>drives without having the SVM software running, which can't happen until
    >>the kernel loads?
    >

    > How the hell would I know? I've never been tasked with implementing
    > RAID on a Solaris machine--usually that was already done before I
    > arrived. I already admitted I don't have a clue what's going on, and
    > the docs only confuse me more. I got a little bit further in the SVM,
    > but the system is confusing the hell out of me. One disk has no
    > partitions mounted at all, and the other disk has TWO partitions
    > around 36 GB (one being home and the other being backup). Don't know
    > how that's possible since it's only a 36 GB SCSI. And then when I try
    > to mount a partition or change a partition's attributes to unassigned
    > or anything else, it throws some Java exception about not being able
    > to load partition information.
    >
    > Jeebers..... Linux is about 100x easier than this. But I guess this
    > is what keeps Sun professional consultants in business!
    >
    > You didn't answer the question anyway, so please don't respond with
    > sly remarks unless you can help!!!
    I do not work for Sun but have used their products for years as well as
    running Linux. Your sly comment "Linux is 100X easier" is because that
    what you are trying to do is not possible in Solaris. No OS is able to
    boot from a RAID device, other than mirroring, if the OS is what is used
    to manage the RAID device unless the boot loader understands how to read
    from the RAID device.

    DO NOT change or delete Slice 2, if you do your drive configuration will
    be unsupported by Sun. Slice 2 if you take a look at it you will see
    that it is a slice that contains all the cylinders of the drive
    regardless of what other slices there are. This slice has the tag
    “Backup” because it is a way to backup the entire drive.

    In general I am not a fan of RAID in software but from my experience
    Solaris handles it fairly well. I also do not like the idea of creating
    a single slice for everything. It sounds like what you are wanting is
    to stripe your internal drives on a physical level this is not possible
    through software.

    If you want something similar to stripping swap I would suggest
    splitting your swap space between all internal drives, when you do this
    Solaris will spread out the swap space usage over all swap slices giving
    you similar performance increases to what you would get from stripping.

    Setting up RAID on everything other than / can be accomplished with 2
    commands /usr/sbin/metadb and /usr/sbin/metainit. Use the metadb
    command to setup the state databases to hold the RAID info and use
    metainit to create the metadevices. There are examples for many RAID
    configurations in the man page for metainit.

    Charles

    Charles LaCour Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:16:39 +0000, Charles LaCour wrote:
    > Setting up RAID on everything other than / can be accomplished with 2
    > commands /usr/sbin/metadb and /usr/sbin/metainit. Use the metadb
    > command to setup the state databases to hold the RAID info and use
    > metainit to create the metadevices. There are examples for many RAID
    > configurations in the man page for metainit.
    Do you get the impression that we have been trolled?

    Dave Uhring Guest

  6. #6

    > why don't you just load the system on a couple of partitions and then raid-0 the application
    > partitions. A GUI is not necessary, but a complete understanding of
    > Solaris's Disksuite (solaris 8) is. Check docs.sun.com and search on
    > disksuite 4.2.1 Note: in Solaris 9, the software was renamed to Solaris
    > Volume Manager (i think that's it) and integrated into the OS
    Now we're going in the right direction! I'm trying to do exactly
    this. I want to put around 20 GB from both disks in a RAID 0 stripe
    onto /opt, but I get all sorts of errors when modifying partitions
    through the SVM.

    Like with all non-open source products, the doentation s. It's
    more of a reference than Hitchhiker's Guide to Setting up RAID. I
    give up...I'll just keep hacking away with meta* commands until
    something works. And as usual I got a sly response from that other
    guy who, again, didn't answer my question. Got to love how few people
    on these groups are actually nice!

    If they had an Award for the Most Unfriendly Operating System, I think
    Solaris would win the award.
    Mike Shafer Guest

  7. #7

    OK here's the new problem. I've been figuring this Volume Manager
    nonsense out, but I'm getting an exception while trying to reconfigure
    the partition table on a disk (which has only 1 slice that's mounted,
    the rest are not).

    When I try to adjust any partition information on the slices, I get
    this error in Volume Manager:

    Attempted Format of Partition c1t0d0s2 failed with unexpected CIM
    error:
    CIM_ERR_FAILED:CIM_ERR_FAILED: CIMProperty.getValue failed for
    property PartitionSize

    I'm going to try to fix it all via the command prompt, but even that's
    causing problems. Anyone have a clue what that means?
    Mike Shafer Guest

  8. #8

    > I do not work for Sun but have used their products for years as well as
    > running Linux. Your sly comment "Linux is 100X easier" is because that
    > what you are trying to do is not possible in Solaris. No OS is able to
    > boot from a RAID device, other than mirroring, if the OS is what is used
    > to manage the RAID device unless the boot loader understands how to read
    > from the RAID device.
    >
    > DO NOT change or delete Slice 2, if you do your drive configuration will
    > be unsupported by Sun. Slice 2 if you take a look at it you will see
    > that it is a slice that contains all the cylinders of the drive
    > regardless of what other slices there are. This slice has the tag
    > “Backup” because it is a way to backup the entire drive.
    Well I've started to get in the right direction now. The reason I
    thought that what I was doing was possible was because I've done it
    before on Linux and Windows, since the RAID controllers are done
    through an administration tool used at bootup: hence, it makes the
    entire RAID configuration entirely transparent to the operating
    system, which I thought was the original purpose.

    So don't make it sound like this was a stupid question because YES,
    you can do it on other operating systems. It's just that Solaris RAID
    is 100x more complex because the people at Sun like it that way.

    The new goal is to set swap space to 14 GB, and mount 20 GB from both
    disks to /raid .... then leave a few GB for /export and various other
    places.

    I only really want the damn RAID 0 stripe on /opt, but of course
    that's not possible so I'll have to do it on /raid if that is... so I
    can put Oracle into /raid as well as DB2 and others.

    I've repeatedly admitted that I'm new to Solaris RAID. My experience
    with RAID on other machines has been a piece of cake since the
    software loaded at bootup and didn't require unmounting filesystems
    and making new ones and all that jazz. So please stop employing ad
    hominem attacks because these are silly questions to you.
    Mike Shafer Guest

  9. #9

    [email]spamshafe.com[/email] (Mike Shafer) wrote in message news:<bf290347.0307180600.295d7b12posting.google. com>...
    > OK here's the new problem. I've been figuring this Volume Manager
    > nonsense out, but I'm getting an exception while trying to reconfigure
    > the partition table on a disk (which has only 1 slice that's mounted,
    > the rest are not).
    >
    > When I try to adjust any partition information on the slices, I get
    > this error in Volume Manager:
    >
    > Attempted Format of Partition c1t0d0s2 failed with unexpected CIM
    > error:
    > CIM_ERR_FAILED:CIM_ERR_FAILED: CIMProperty.getValue failed for
    > property PartitionSize
    >
    > I'm going to try to fix it all via the command prompt, but even that's
    > causing problems. Anyone have a clue what that means?
    are you using ods or veritas? there is plenty of doentation at
    docs.sun.com I believe it is or just go to sun.com and go to the docs
    section. as for the partition table you might be trying to overlap
    onto the mounted partition. that will give you errors. you might
    want to try unmounting that partition and then run format for that
    disk. just be careful that you dont do anything to interfer with the
    size of the partition that's been mounted or you will loose your data.
    you might want to back that partition up just in case and repartition
    the whole disk.

    just a thought. it is kinda tricky the first time you use ods so
    don't feel bad. just follow the directions carefully.

    Sharona
    sharona Guest

  10. #10

    [email]spamshafe.com[/email] (Mike Shafer) wrote in message news:<bf290347.0307180600.295d7b12posting.google. com>...
    > OK here's the new problem. I've been figuring this Volume Manager
    > nonsense out, but I'm getting an exception while trying to reconfigure
    > the partition table on a disk (which has only 1 slice that's mounted,
    > the rest are not).
    >
    > When I try to adjust any partition information on the slices, I get
    > this error in Volume Manager:
    >
    > Attempted Format of Partition c1t0d0s2 failed with unexpected CIM
    > error:
    > CIM_ERR_FAILED:CIM_ERR_FAILED: CIMProperty.getValue failed for
    > property PartitionSize
    >
    > I'm going to try to fix it all via the command prompt, but even that's
    > causing problems. Anyone have a clue what that means?
    one more thing I wanted to mention. you can access and ods cd from
    another machine using a tip connection. tip into your machine, load
    the cd in another unix machine, edit the /etc/dfs/dfstab file so that
    you can export the cd. then go to the machine you've tipped into and
    mount nameofothermachine:/cdrom/ods /mnt (the /cdrom/ods isn't
    exactly what it will come up with but after you put the cd in the
    system do a df -k and you will see what it's calling /cdrom/whatever
    and export it such) then on the machine you've tipped into you can
    load the ods from /mnt.

    sharona
    sharona Guest

  11. #11

    > DO NOT change or delete Slice 2, if you do your drive configuration will
    > be unsupported by Sun. Slice 2 if you take a look at it you will see
    > that it is a slice that contains all the cylinders of the drive
    > regardless of what other slices there are. This slice has the tag
    > “Backup” because it is a way to backup the entire drive.
    after rereading the original post.. he's getting errors trying to
    repartition c1t0d0s2 right? well, that means he's got two controllers
    right.. isn't the root partition on c0t0d0s2?? that's what I've
    always used. s2 is the entire disk so if you try to repartition s2
    and others on the same disk it just wolnt work because they would
    obviously be overlapping..

    just something that struck me as odd....

    Sharona
    sharona Guest

  12. #12

    [email]spamshafe.com[/email] (Mike Shafer) wrote in message news:<bf290347.0307180600.295d7b12posting.google. com>...
    > OK here's the new problem. I've been figuring this Volume Manager
    > nonsense out, but I'm getting an exception while trying to reconfigure
    > the partition table on a disk (which has only 1 slice that's mounted,
    > the rest are not).
    >
    > When I try to adjust any partition information on the slices, I get
    > this error in Volume Manager:
    >
    > Attempted Format of Partition c1t0d0s2 failed with unexpected CIM
    > error:
    > CIM_ERR_FAILED:CIM_ERR_FAILED: CIMProperty.getValue failed for
    > property PartitionSize
    >
    > I'm going to try to fix it all via the command prompt, but even that's
    > causing problems. Anyone have a clue what that means?
    mike, c1t0d0s2 you are getting errors because s2 is the entire disk if
    you are going to use s2 you can't set up other partitions. it would
    be better to use slice 4, 5, 6 and 7 if you want that many partitions.
    if not you can make them larger but the other would need to be zeroed
    out. you need to really understand how the partitions are layed out
    before you try to adjust them. if you do not want the partition to be
    the size of the entire disk, leave slice 2 alone... infact zero it
    out...

    you can get more info on the sun site on partiton tables and layouts.

    Sharona
    sharona Guest

  13. #13

    [email]spamshafe.com[/email] (Mike Shafer) wrote in message news:<bf290347.0307171932.66fefefeposting.google. com>...
    > > why don't you just load the system on a couple of partitions and then raid-0 the application
    > > partitions. A GUI is not necessary, but a complete understanding of
    > > Solaris's Disksuite (solaris 8) is. Check docs.sun.com and search on
    > > disksuite 4.2.1 Note: in Solaris 9, the software was renamed to Solaris
    > > Volume Manager (i think that's it) and integrated into the OS
    >
    > Now we're going in the right direction! I'm trying to do exactly
    > this. I want to put around 20 GB from both disks in a RAID 0 stripe
    > onto /opt, but I get all sorts of errors when modifying partitions
    > through the SVM.
    >
    > Like with all non-open source products, the doentation s. It's
    > more of a reference than Hitchhiker's Guide to Setting up RAID. I
    > give up...I'll just keep hacking away with meta* commands until
    > something works. And as usual I got a sly response from that other
    > guy who, again, didn't answer my question. Got to love how few people
    > on these groups are actually nice!
    >
    > If they had an Award for the Most Unfriendly Operating System, I think
    > Solaris would win the award.
    It's really not an unfriendly operation system.. aix is and I started
    on ultrex which would boggle your mind. you might want to consider
    taking a solaris system admin course through sun. it would be very
    helpful to you rather than trying to adminster solaris without the
    basics. the courses at sun are well worth it!!

    Sharona
    sharona Guest

  14. #14

    sharona wrote:
    > are you using ods or veritas?
    ODS? It hasn't been called Online DiskSuite in years. Since the
    OP mentions Solaris 8 and 9 its either SDS (Solstice DiskSuite)
    or SVM (Solaris Volume Manager) respectively.

    -am © 2003
    Anthony Mandic Guest

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    norm Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    Anthony Mandic <nohotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3F229162.1ECB9878hotmail.com>...
    > sharona wrote:
    >
    > > are you using ods or veritas?
    >
    > ODS? It hasn't been called Online DiskSuite in years. Since the
    > OP mentions Solaris 8 and 9 its either SDS (Solstice DiskSuite)
    > or SVM (Solaris Volume Manager) respectively.
    >
    > -am © 2003
    Anthony,

    Your right, I've been working with solaris for a long time and
    sometimes refer to the older names.. sorry for the confusion...

    Sharona
    sharona Guest