Professional Web Applications Themes

Configuring Sendmail - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Dear all I have to pc's in my LAN, a Windows and a linux 7.1 box. Sendmail was installed on the redhat box during the installation. With netstat -l I can see that smtp is listening. I can also send a mail from one user to another within the domain I configured in my bind scribts (I also added the mx part in it) by using the command mail on the redhat box. With Netscape messenger on the redhat box I can send a message to eg. root, but I cannot receive any messages from root. Netscape on Redhat says: ...

  1. #1

    Default Configuring Sendmail

    Dear all
    I have to pc's in my LAN, a Windows and a linux 7.1 box. Sendmail was
    installed on the redhat box during the

    installation. With netstat -l I can see that smtp is listening. I can also
    send a mail from one user to another

    within the domain I configured in my bind scribts (I also added the mx part
    in it) by using the command mail on the

    redhat box. With Netscape messenger on the redhat box I can send a message
    to eg. root, but I cannot receive any

    messages from root. Netscape on Redhat says: "The server may not be
    accepting connections or may be busy."

    Now I have a problem in understanding the whole thing, even after reading a
    bunch of doentation including several

    howto's. Sendmail is an MTA and has just to deal with smtp. But when I want
    to receive a message to Netscape on

    Redhat or on Windows I have to use a POP3 server. Where do I have to
    configure pop3 for this configuration? Is it

    Fetchmail which handels this? How do I need to configure it exactly? Would I
    see the pop3-port listening with

    netstat -l if it would be up and running?

    The above error message says, that the server doesn't accepts connections.
    What do I need to do against it? I looked

    into the /etc/mail/access file and adoptet it to my system configuration.
    What else is to do to have this mail stuff running?

    Do you need any further information about my system configuration?

    Thanks in advance

    Peter

    Peter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Configuring Sendmail

    Peter Höltschi wrote:

    Read http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/events/j2002/papers/isg-seminar-postfix.pdf
    Then save yourself a lot of troubles, install postfix and cyrus imapd.

    postfix is much much easier to configure and understand then sendmail
    and has much better security record. postfix is a drop-in replacement -
    you dont have to worry about anything but config files for the MTA.

    IMAP protocol is roughly something like POP3 - you access messages from
    the server to read. But it has couple things that make it superior IMHO.

    Couple quick links:

    http://www.postfix.org/securityportal.199909/closet19990915.html -
    postfix as a replacement of sendmail.

    http://www.postfix.org/basic.html - how to configure postfix (basic).

    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cyrus-IMAP.html - cyrus imap, what is imap,
    imap vs pop, etc.

    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Cyrus-IMAP-7.html - how to configure your MTA -
    includes both, sendmail and posftix.
    Andrey Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:39:50 +0100,
    Peter Höltschi <com> wrote:
    You may want fix your settings.

    Judging by the way your post is formatted, I'd guess you're posting with
    a line length of about 120 characters, and double-spacing. These
    settings may be great for a business letter, but typically you should
    refrain from using more than 72-76 characters per line and single space
    between lines in the same paragraph. Double space between paragraphs.
    It will make your posts easier to read, and increase the liklihood of a
    response.

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  4. #4

    "Peter H?ltschi" <com> wrote:

    [..]

    Did just answer your question in colm (comp.os.linux.misc), go
    and find it.

    Please stop multi-posting.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    In article <heiming.de>, Michael Heiming
    <michael+heiming.de> writes

    >[..]
    >
    >Did just answer your question in colm (comp.os.linux.misc), go
    >and find it.
    >
    >Please stop multi-posting.[/ref]

    Then again, as one reading this thread in comp.os.linux.setup, it's a
    bit of a PITA that you don't post in the NGs where the discussion is
    taking place.

    Cheers, J/.
    --
    John Beardmore
    John Guest

  6. #6

    John Beardmore <demon.co.uk> wrote: [/ref]

    > >[..]
    > >
    > >Did just answer your question in colm (comp.os.linux.misc), go
    > >and find it.
    > >
    > >Please stop multi-posting.[/ref][/ref]

    Sorry, I don't understand your post? The OP posted the exactly
    same question in colm, answered it there, just to see that he
    multi-posted his question to cols and perhaps other ngs. This is
    a quite rude behavior.

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html [Netiquette Guidelines]

    - If you feel an article will be of interest to more than one
    Newsgroup, be sure to CROSSPOST the article rather than
    individually post it to those groups. In general, probably
    [..]