Professional Web Applications Themes

Connect to iBook from XP - Mac Applications & Software

I cannot seem to connect to my iBook from Windows XP Home. The iBook is detected by the XP machine but it just rejects the user name and password repeatedly. The user name and password are the same on both systems. The iBook name shows up in the network Group view of Explorer. In Sharing Preferences, Personal File Sharing, Windows File Sharing, Remote Login, and FTP Access are turned on. The Firewall is off. Does AppleTalk have to be active? For its part, the iBook can mount share points on the XP system. It's access in the other direction having ...

  1. #1

    Default Connect to iBook from XP

    I cannot seem to connect to my iBook from Windows XP Home.

    The iBook is detected by the XP machine but it just rejects the user name
    and password repeatedly. The user name and password are the same on both
    systems. The iBook name shows up in the network Group view of Explorer.

    In Sharing Preferences, Personal File Sharing, Windows File Sharing, Remote
    Login, and FTP Access are turned on. The Firewall is off. Does AppleTalk
    have to be active?
    For its part, the iBook can mount share points on the XP system. It's access
    in the other direction having trouble.

    Doug Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Connect to iBook from XP

    In <BB7E4498.95DD%rr.com>
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    Make sure that:

    "User can log in from Windows" is selected in the Accounts prefs

    You are logging in from Windows using your *short name*

    Also try setting your Windows password on the Mac using the command line in
    Terminal with the "smbpasswd" command.

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  3. #3

    On 9/5/03 2:30 PM, in article
    slrnblhlit.kdd.jsm158+cac.psu.edu, "Jennifer Mullen"
    <jsm158+cac.psu.edu> wrote:

    > Make sure that:
    >
    > "User can log in from Windows" is selected in the Accounts prefs[/ref]
    The only thing close I can find is in the Sharing Preferences, Remote Login
    is enabled but nothing in My Account Preferences or Accounts Preferences. Is
    this functionality implemented differently for different versions of 10.2.x
    yes
    How do I know my current smb password.?It apparently isn't blank or the same
    as my login or root user password

    Doug Guest

  4. #4

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Doug Day wrote:

    > > Make sure that:
    > >
    > > "User can log in from Windows" is selected in the Accounts prefs[/ref]
    > The only thing close I can find is in the Sharing Preferences, Remote Login
    > is enabled but nothing in My Account Preferences or Accounts Preferences. Is
    > this functionality implemented differently for different versions of 10.2.x[/ref]

    Edit User, from the accounts prefs. exact text is "Allow user to log in
    from Windows"

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  5. #5

    On 9/5/03 4:54 PM, in article
    srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk,
    "Frederick Cheung" <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    >> The only thing close I can find is in the Sharing Preferences, Remote Login
    >> is enabled but nothing in My Account Preferences or Accounts Preferences. Is
    >> this functionality implemented differently for different versions of 10.2.x[/ref]
    >
    > Edit User, from the accounts prefs. exact text is "Allow user to log in
    > from Windows"[/ref]
    Thank you.
    Right under my nose! and it is checked.
    Any more suggestions?

    Doug Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Doug Day wrote:

    > > Edit User, from the accounts prefs. exact text is "Allow user to log in
    > > from Windows"[/ref]
    > Thank you.
    > Right under my nose! and it is checked.
    > Any more suggestions?[/ref]

    Are any of the characters of your password likely to be encoded
    differently on Mac OS or Windows?
    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  7. #7

    On 9/5/03 5:14 PM, in article
    srcf.societies.cam.ac.uk,
    "Frederick Cheung" <DUH.ucam.org> wrote:

    >> Thank you.
    >> Right under my nose! and it is checked.
    >> Any more suggestions?[/ref]
    >
    > Are any of the characters of your password likely to be encoded
    > differently on Mac OS or Windows?
    > Fred
    >[/ref]
    No, all just alphabetic characters.

    Doug Guest

  8. #8

    In article <BB7E4498.95DD%rr.com>,
    Doug Day <rr.com> wrote:

    I'm using Win 2000, not XP, but only way that I have been able to do
    this is to login from Windows using an account on the Mac that does not
    have admin privileges. I created a second user account on OS X, and I
    checked "Allow user to log in from Windows" but did not check "Allow
    user to administer this computer".
    --
    F.D. Maxwell
    FDM Guest

  9. #9

    On 9/5/03 9:11 PM, in article
    newsguy.com, "FDM"
    <com> wrote:

    > I'm using Win 2000, not XP, but only way that I have been able to do
    > this is to login from Windows using an account on the Mac that does not
    > have admin privileges. I created a second user account on OS X, and I
    > checked "Allow user to log in from Windows" but did not check "Allow
    > user to administer this computer".[/ref]
    I was able to do it finally. To an account with admin privileges even but
    only by using the ip address of the iBook. I.e., \\192.168.1.100\doug
    This is of course not good as my router uses DHCP to assign ip addresses
    which can be different every time a system boots. Don't really want to fix
    the ip address.

    Doug Guest

  10. #10

    Doug Day typed:

    just curious - when you enable 'windows file sharing' on the Mac, check to see
    if nmbd is actually a process running.
    on the Mac - open terminal and type 'ps auxc|less' scroll through to find
    nmbd.

    if nmbd is not listed as a process. that could be the problem.

    --
    - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
    - free; as in free speech and free beer

    remove '.eh' to email

    johnny Guest

  11. #11

    On 9/6/03 0:28 AM, in article ca.eh,
    "johnny bobby bee" <ca.eh> wrote:

    > just curious - when you enable 'windows file sharing' on the Mac, check to see
    > if nmbd is actually a process running.
    > on the Mac - open terminal and type 'ps auxc|less' scroll through to find
    > nmbd.
    >
    > if nmbd is not listed as a process. that could be the problem.[/ref]

    No it's not.
    BTW, "ps aux | grep nmdb "is easier.

    What does it do and how is it supposed to get started?

    Doug Guest

  12. #12

    Doug Day typed:

    it's only easier if you know and trust your terminal commands. if you
    don't, it's easier to make sure, and see all your running processes
    so you can make certain that you don't see it in the list.
    (i didn't know your command-line experience)

    as for what it does, it's a NetBIOS name server to provide NetBIOS over
    IP naming services to clients. look up 'man nmbd'.
    it's 'supposed' to get started when you check the 'enable windows file
    sharing' button (along with smbd). sometimes it gets dropped.
    if checking/unchecking the 'enable windows file sharing' button doesn't
    start nmbd. from terminal do: 'nmbd -D' (that will enable it).

    now try connecting to the Mac (not by IP address), see if that works.

  13. #13

    On 9/7/03 1:11 AM, in article ca.eh,
    "johnny bobby bee" <ca.eh> wrote:

    > it's only easier if you know and trust your terminal commands. if you
    > don't, it's easier to make sure, and see all your running processes
    > so you can make certain that you don't see it in the list.
    > (i didn't know your command-line experience)

    > as for what it does, it's a NetBIOS name server to provide NetBIOS over
    > IP naming services to clients. look up 'man nmbd'.
    > it's 'supposed' to get started when you check the 'enable windows file
    > sharing' button (along with smbd). sometimes it gets dropped.
    > if checking/unchecking the 'enable windows file sharing' button doesn't
    > start nmbd. from terminal do: 'nmbd -D' (that will enable it).
    >
    > now try connecting to the Mac (not by IP address), see if that works.
    >[/ref]
    Thanks for the suggestions. There are no man pages for either nmdb or smdb
    on my iBook nor are there executables for either one. And consequently of
    course, neither is a running on process on the iBook. They are not part of
    some optional installation per chance?
    Do you know that these processes have the same name on Mac OS as they would
    in a UNIX only system? Why Apple would rename them is beyond me tho.
    Can you direct me to a site you like that has man pages?

    Doug Guest

  14. #14

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:04:18 GMT,
    Doug Day (rr.com) wrote:

    You have the names incorrect. They are "smbd" and "nmbd" -- you've
    transposed the "b" and the "d". They should be installed in the
    /usr/sbin directory, and I think they are installed as part of the
    BSD subsystem.

    From a terminal window, try the following:
    ls -l /usr/sbin/*mbd

    If you see:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 788816 Aug 14 18:43 /usr/sbin/nmbd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1775264 Aug 14 18:43 /usr/sbin/smbd
    then you have the latest patched versions installed.

    Yes.

    Apple hasn't.

    The man pages should be installed. Again, try "man smbd" and "man nmbd",
    instead of "man nmdb" and "man smdb". If you still find they are not
    installed, you can always compile and install Samba (www.samba.org).
    nmbd and smbd are part of Samba.

    Take care,
    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  15. #15

    Doug Day typed:
     [/ref][/ref]

    i missed the typo the first time. do you think it's still easier?
    when you misspell a word, the result returns nothing. my way, you get the
    complete process list, then you can just scroll through it.

  16. #16

    On 9/7/03 9:18 AM, in article
    mimnet.northwestern.edu, "Bev A. Kupf"
    <net> wrote:

    > You have the names incorrect. They are "smbd" and "nmbd" -- you've
    > transposed the "b" and the "d". They should be installed in the
    > /usr/sbin directory, and I think they are installed as part of the
    > BSD subsystem.
    >
    > From a terminal window, try the following:
    > ls -l /usr/sbin/*mbd
    >
    > If you see:
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 788816 Aug 14 18:43 /usr/sbin/nmbd
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1775264 Aug 14 18:43 /usr/sbin/smbd
    > then you have the latest patched versions installed.

    > Yes.

    > Apple hasn't.

    > The man pages should be installed. Again, try "man smbd" and "man nmbd",
    > instead of "man nmdb" and "man smdb". If you still find they are not
    > installed, you can always compile and install Samba (www.samba.org).
    > nmbd and smbd are part of Samba.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Beverly[/ref]
    How careless of me!
    Smbd is running nmbd is not but the later exits when I run it as nmbd -D
    If I run it as sudo nmbd -i, the following output occurs:

    Netbios nameserver version 2.2.3a (build 26) started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
    standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
    ERROR: can't open /private/var/spool/lock/nmbd.pid: Error was File exists.

    Does that mean it thinks it is already running because the nmbd.pid file
    already exists and I should delete or rename it?
    If I rename the file and run as above, the output is:

    Netbios nameserver version 2.2.3a (build 26) started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
    standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
    No 'live' WINS servers found. Check 'wins server' parameter.
    ERROR: Failed when creating subnet lists. Exiting.

    Not sure where to proceed from here. Running it with -D instead makes no
    difference.

    BTW, the dates on mine are Sept 1. With the same sizes. I wonder if they are
    the same files. My cksum output:
    1693493848 788816 /usr/sbin/nmbd
    987644557 1775264 /usr/sbin/smbd

    Doug Guest

  17. #17

    On 9/7/03 1:00 PM, in article ca.eh,
    "johnny bobby bee" <ca.eh> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > i missed the typo the first time. do you think it's still easier?
    > when you misspell a word, the result returns nothing. my way, you get the
    > complete process list, then you can just scroll through it.
    >[/ref]
    It was a careless mistake which could have been more misleading. It's hard
    for my eyes to sift thru so much "more" output. I should have caught the
    error as I know daemons usually (always?) end with 'd'.

    As it turned out the nmbd daemon wasn't running anyway.. See subsequent
    posts from me. Perhaps you can suggest what's wrong.

    Doug Guest

  18. #18

    Doug Day typed:

    what does the command: 'killall -HUP nmbd' get you?
    that should both, kill nmbd and restart it.
    run it in sudo.

  19. #19

    On 9/7/03 5:52 PM, in article ca.eh,
    "johnny bobby bee" <ca.eh> wrote:

    "No matching processes were found"

    Doug Guest

  20. #20

    Doug Day typed:

    sorry doug, i think we found the problem, in nmbd.
    why it's not working, or how to fix it, i hope someone else can lend a
    hand.

    --
    - Linux: the choice of a GNU generation
    - free; as in free speech and free beer